The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 'Floppy' Forks ???
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 3
0 Rear mount for solo seat?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 8
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 134
Views: 35,954
0 Thread revival
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 121
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 7,061
Views: 1,005,000
8 New build - engine ping / gnarly vibration
Last Post: ironheed
Replies: 2
Views: 40
0 After years of Japanese bikes I got a sportster..
Last Post: Michman
Replies: 23
Views: 551
0 Breather timing off just a bit 1974 engine
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Replies: 6
Views: 291
0 Memphis Shades Fats Drop-Top Windshield
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 28
0 First Harley ...
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 123
0 77 XLT smokes a lot on start up
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Replies: 2
Views: 234
0 Bendix insulator block
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 9
Views: 217
0 Removing oil tank DIY?
Last Post: oldboy
Replies: 6
Views: 177
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: fafcpa
Replies: 17,808
Views: 1,040,920
0 Paint Code for 1976 Sportster
Last Post: Parker 1000
Replies: 7
Views: 226
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 47,966
Views: 7,704,479
0 Have i knackered something ?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 3
Views: 206
0 Hagerty Insurance
Last Post: Whitewalls
Views: 53
0 '69 XLH wiring question
Last Post: Doc308
Replies: 7
Views: 123
0 Adaptive headlight issues
Last Post: sml1226
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 248
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 4,149
Views: 594,756
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 20,698
Views: 2,124,388
0 86 c I burning pistons
Last Post: kitabel
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 853
0 Scrambler muffler for 1960’s XLHC
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 3,007
0 Show your bike next to a lake
Last Post: zimbros12
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 201
Views: 39,915
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: jcro61
Replies: 3,194
Views: 328,128
0 High idle code P0505
Last Post: dayypete
Replies: 5
Views: 145
0 2001 Bobber 1250 Custom
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 63
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 1,140
Views: 338,766
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Last Post: Mission1
Replies: 4
Views: 79,941
More...
Members Birthdays
reinhard (65), randolph196 (64), dexter (63), Swamp Fox (63), drewsport (58), paintslinger16 (57), grumpy0868 (52), Prototype (40), Tustan (40), dustom_99 (37)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
chickenhawk has a spectacular aura aboutchickenhawk has a spectacular aura aboutchickenhawk has a spectacular aura aboutchickenhawk has a spectacular aura aboutchickenhawk has a spectacular aura aboutchickenhawk has a spectacular aura aboutchickenhawk has a spectacular aura aboutchickenhawk has a spectacular aura aboutchickenhawk has a spectacular aura aboutchickenhawk has a spectacular aura aboutchickenhawk has a spectacular aura about

Admiral, good luck in getting the sound you want. Some in this forum have sealed where the diverter/tongue hits the other side of the baffle by welding it or some other means. Yours is already pretty closed so not sure if it would make that much of a difference sound wise.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Blackmagellan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sir,

I am trying to repack my SE II. Terribly loud and don't want to go back to stock exhaust since i am at a Stage 2 system... I struggle at understanding HOW those exhaust work. because of the diverter. Whats the logic ? i tried to find good drawings of the exhaust/gaz flow but cant find it. Thus , i don't know how to repack them well... Thank you for your help.

Cordially
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 2000 ZX12R/1998 T595
hondo has a spectacular aura abouthondo has a spectacular aura abouthondo has a spectacular aura abouthondo has a spectacular aura abouthondo has a spectacular aura abouthondo has a spectacular aura abouthondo has a spectacular aura abouthondo has a spectacular aura about

I've visualized the exhaust flow as follows:
(Refer to Don Burton's photo's) The exhaust enters the right side of the baffle, some is diverted via the "flap" into the shell while the rest enters the baffle and escapes the baffle via the small holes since a plate keeps the exhaust flow from flowing straight through the baffle.
I believe there is supposed the be some kind of noise cancellation from these two flow's bouncing around into each other inside the shell.
The exhaust then enters the holes on the left side of the baffle to exit the muffler.
I would not wrap the left side of the baffle! Think of exhaling with your nose pinched shut. The exhaust pressure is in the muffler shell but the baffle wrap will interfere with it leaving the shell through the baffle.
I have a set of SE Slash Down muffler's with the baffle removed completely. I cut off the end of the baffle then reinstalled the cutoff piece so the exhaust bounces around in the shell then enters a short length of baffle tubing to exit the muffler.
Yes, it's loud, but I can't hear it when a rice rocket pulls up next to me with their requisite 4-1 exhaust. Luckily the vibration lets me know my Sporty is still running.
Something you could try without too much harm to your engine, i.e. backpressure, would be to wrap the exit end of the baffle with stainless steel screen wire forcing the exhaust to exit through a bunch of little square holes on its way into the big holes of the baffle.
Mikuni 42, .551, Doherty AC, Golan 5/16" FV, TC88a, Spark plugs indexed, Air caps on forks, Modified SE mufflers, Rear (red) turn signals are also running/brake lights, LED rear turn signal stalks, Front turn signals moved to lower tree, Laydown license plate, Fork brace, Sundowner seat, Whittlebeast hybrid rear shock mod, Arlen Ness Fairing.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sir, I thank you for taking the time to write to me but I don’t understand this point : “ while the rest enters the baffle and escapes the baffle via the small holes since a plate keeps the exhaust flow from flowing straight through the baffle.” I do not have that on my SE ! I bought them used... I have only the tube (baffle) that has the diverter. Are you sure it is standard to have that?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sir: I come back on: “ Something you could try without too much harm to your engine, i.e. backpressure, would be to wrap the exit end of the baffle with stainless steel screen wire forcing the exhaust to exit through a bunch of little square holes on its way into the big holes of the baffle.”

I am not sure if I understand well what you mean, sorry. There is one thing i think I will do . 1) drill an enormous quantities of holes in the baffle.
2) MAYBE: steel wool around the baffle, not compress
3) put back the screen cylinder mesh that comes with the exhaust
4) wrap it with night temp wool, no compress, just tight enough to put it back

BUT: I think that putting the steel mesh will prevent the diverted gaz to flow freely into the “ring” are (between the baffle and the inner diameter of the cylinder mesh. So I might just leave it empty and keep the cylinder mesh & thermal wool

5) buy a Drag Specialty or V&H dB killer, or something like that, that will be I inserted and the end of the baffle that will lower the dB of the none diverted gaz.

What is your opinion?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1978 XLCH project
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1975
45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute

My rigid 883XL came to me with drag pipes and SE slipons. They were just offensively loud, and didn’t suit the bike - rough running at low speed, particularly. Carb is the stock with Stage 1 increased jets.

I fitted a locally made, custom 2:1 high level with a short reverse cone megaphone (basically a copy of the Bosley Reventon unit) and it sounded very mellow and throaty and definitely went better through the lower to midrange.

Eventually I picked up a Supertrapp 2:1 on eBay, combined it with a long Supertrapp (closed end cap, 20 discs) and that is much the best of the exhausts I’ve had on the bike. Relatively quiet, smooth pickup in the lower to mid-range and definitely more top end.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

If you use steel wool or fiberglass, I won't be following you. Use ceramic wool made for High Temperature Application. Go to a heat treatment shop and they will gladly give you some used ones.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
If you use steel wool or fiberglass, I won't be following you. Use ceramic wool made for High Temperature Application. Go to a heat treatment shop and they will gladly give you some used ones.

Je suis d’accord . C’était l’intention . Thank you . Merci
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
LLOYD883 has a brilliant futureLLOYD883 has a brilliant futureLLOYD883 has a brilliant futureLLOYD883 has a brilliant futureLLOYD883 has a brilliant futureLLOYD883 has a brilliant futureLLOYD883 has a brilliant futureLLOYD883 has a brilliant futureLLOYD883 has a brilliant futureLLOYD883 has a brilliant futureLLOYD883 has a brilliant future

Those obnoxiously loud SE pipes must have been tampered with. The last time I looked into SE pipes was 14 years ago and at that time the SE pipes were nothing more than stock pipes with a few more holes on either side of the baffle plug. I actually bought a pair, and then promptly returned them when I found this out. I went with Khrome Werks after I took al look at their site and even the patent drawings, and after hearing on this forum that they were too quiet ! I've been riding with them for at least 12 years (more than 120,000km) without ear plugs (half helmet) and enjoying every minute of it.
2005 883XLC - 42 slow jet, 2 1/2 turns out - N65A needle shimmed 0.030" with stock 170 main jet - 07 1200 W cams - mildly ported stock heads - Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner with HD round nostalgia cover - Khrome Werks 3" tapered slip-ons - SE 1200 ignition module - microTach - Mustang "solo tripper" seat - 12 1/2" Progressive 412 chrome rear shocks.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Xvs650 dragstar
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
Billy1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to beholdBilly1200 is a splendid one to behold

As far as I'm aware SE11 pipes shouldn't be very loud ( obviously depends what you call "very loud ") .. I'v got them and I wouldn't class them as loud at all..