The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 'Floppy' Forks ???
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 5
0 Breather timing off just a bit 1974 engine
Last Post: kitabel
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 291
0 Magneto insulating block removal
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 277
0 Bendix insulator block
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 217
0 Rear mount for solo seat?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 8
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 134
Views: 35,954
0 Thread revival
Last Post: ferretface
Views: 121
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 7,061
Views: 1,005,000
8 New build - engine ping / gnarly vibration
Last Post: ironheed
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 40
0 After years of Japanese bikes I got a sportster..
Last Post: Michman
Replies: 23
Views: 551
0 Memphis Shades Fats Drop-Top Windshield
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 28
0 First Harley ...
Last Post: Hippysmack
Views: 123
0 77 XLT smokes a lot on start up
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Replies: 2
Views: 234
0 Removing oil tank DIY?
Last Post: oldboy
Replies: 6
Views: 177
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: fafcpa
Replies: 17,808
Views: 1,040,920
0 Paint Code for 1976 Sportster
Last Post: Parker 1000
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 226
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 47,966
Views: 7,704,479
0 Have i knackered something ?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 206
0 Hagerty Insurance
Last Post: Whitewalls
Views: 53
0 '69 XLH wiring question
Last Post: Doc308
Replies: 7
Views: 123
0 Adaptive headlight issues
Last Post: sml1226
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 248
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 4,149
Views: 594,756
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 20,698
Views: 2,124,388
0 86 c I burning pistons
Last Post: kitabel
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 853
0 Scrambler muffler for 1960’s XLHC
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 3,007
0 Show your bike next to a lake
Last Post: zimbros12
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 201
Views: 39,915
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: jcro61
Replies: 3,194
Views: 328,128
0 High idle code P0505
Last Post: dayypete
Views: 145
0 2001 Bobber 1250 Custom
Last Post: FiftySixer
Views: 63
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,140
Views: 338,766
More...
Members Birthdays
reinhard (65), randolph196 (64), dexter (63), Swamp Fox (63), drewsport (58), paintslinger16 (57), grumpy0868 (52), Prototype (40), Tustan (40), dustom_99 (37)
Tags
clutch, evo, issue

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz1r View Post
How does not lever feel. Does it feel loose or unusually easy to pull or is it hard to pull? Does it feel normal? If it feels good there's the possibility that the friction plates are are just sticking to some of the steels. Happens now and then. And Pete, I thought women make high pitched whining sounds.
Dave, of course you are right. That's how they communicate with each other, (like wales). It's a send AND receive thing.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to imagine, but if it still wants to be grabby the spring plate is most likely blown up right now. Did you see any brass looking shavings in the primary oil?

So, you actually turned the screw more after it was in contact with the pressure plate right? You saw the pressure plate moving back towards you as you did that right?

Try taking more out of the cable (lengthening the outer cable so that the lever will pull the clutch further back). That cable adjustment can take up a lot of slack from the adjusting point, and the only possibility other than broken parts is that there is too much free play in there somewhere. The best way to check that is to keep adjusting it past where all play at the lever is gone and the pressure plate is actually pulling back (you can do that with just the cable right now to test).
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 883 hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: kz1000 z1r
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
davesz1r is a splendid one to beholddavesz1r is a splendid one to beholddavesz1r is a splendid one to beholddavesz1r is a splendid one to beholddavesz1r is a splendid one to beholddavesz1r is a splendid one to beholddavesz1r is a splendid one to beholddavesz1r is a splendid one to beholddavesz1r is a splendid one to beholddavesz1r is a splendid one to beholddavesz1r is a splendid one to behold

Now you have my curiosity going. I'm not sure that a 1988 uses a riveted spring plate or an aftermarket clutch for that matter. But God only knows what is in there at this stage of the game. This might be interesting.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
juzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond repute

I have no time to read all the posts, but if it wasn't mentioned it would be worth to check throwout bearing.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzyHD View Post
I have no time to read all the posts, but if it wasn't mentioned it would be worth to check throwout bearing.
Post #5 but it is always worth mentioning again.

The main take-away for anyone reading this is that when a clutch starts getting grabby instead of slipping, it is "ALWAYS" mechanical failure. Slip is what happens as plates wear.

Grabbing is always a function of the free play increasing due to plates getting thicker as in a blown up spring plate or a throwout bearing getting sloppy which creates more free play.

Clutch plate wear is always in the other direction, IE: free play goes away as the plates wear, your preset gap in the derby goes away, and once that happens all the cable adjustment in the world can't change it because with no gap, the plates are starting to be held open by the adjusting screw. You have to get back into the derby and set the initial free play there again.

So to recap. The preset gap you put into the adjusting screw is the most important setting. The cable has enough range to adjust out an extreme amount of free play that is set into that adjusting screw. It is also possible to over adjust the cable to where you remove all the free play and cause slip (a few times I have mentioned a good friend who always liked his clutch to grab way out from the grip, and he ended up not able to make it over a steep grade due to the slip that he created). He called me in a panic one day and I had to tell him for the umpteenth time to back off the cable. Note, that if it was grabbing, then the cable could be lengthened on the outer sleeve to allow you to pull the pressure plate further out to a small degree before the pressure plate hits the derby and gouges it up. I have used that trick to get home with a failing throwout bearing. It's never a long term solution. When my throwout bearing failed last time, it went out gradually over the course of one day riding. I felt it, I knew what was going on, and I kept adjusting it a bit until I got back to shop, where I had a new bearing on the shelf for just such a situation.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz1r View Post
Now you have my curiosity going. I'm not sure that a 1988 uses a riveted spring plate or an aftermarket clutch for that matter. But God only knows what is in there at this stage of the game. This might be interesting.
Damn good point, I do not know if the 88 has a spring plate, so in that case it is even more likely to be the throwout bearing, (or and I hate to suggest this), possibly this still isn't adjusted correctly after the primary cover was off. This is the only instance where adjustment can be suspect, because once it is adjusted correctly to begin with the rules I have stated always apply, meaning it can not be an adjustment at that point.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton 850 Commando
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Bluto has a reputation beyond reputeBluto has a reputation beyond reputeBluto has a reputation beyond reputeBluto has a reputation beyond reputeBluto has a reputation beyond reputeBluto has a reputation beyond reputeBluto has a reputation beyond reputeBluto has a reputation beyond reputeBluto has a reputation beyond reputeBluto has a reputation beyond reputeBluto has a reputation beyond repute

An '88 DOES use a spring plate, #20 in the diagram...however the PN is different than the infamous "grenade plate" used in '91+ Sportsters and I wouldnt know if it fails too.