The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 79-85 Breather Vent Mod - Adding a Secondary Vent Hose at 6:00 Position
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 78
Views: 2,723
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 22,300
Views: 2,282,159
0 100 vs 110 front tire
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 121
Views: 75,438
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 48,416
Views: 7,819,829
0 painthuffer's bobber build (pic heavy)
Last Post: bill smith
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 199
Views: 32,840
0 old parts
Last Post: bill smith
Replies: 14
Views: 421
0 Moto Iron Springer on a Stock 2001 Sportster
Last Post: FiftySixer
Replies: 3
Views: 177
6 Secret photo"s of folkies loft
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Replies: 1,515
Views: 238,741
0 Starter for an XLCH
Last Post: Imaginearat
Replies: 0
Views: 9
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,085
Views: 2,184,053
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 18,146
Views: 1,072,334
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Replies: 4,019
Views: 794,944
0 cant bleed my brake please help !
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 26
Views: 1,099
0 so it's officially ended
Replies: 40
Views: 2,221
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: Nicktater
Replies: 1,030
Views: 257,121
0 Xl???
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 372
0 1972 Build thread please subscribe
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 95
Views: 8,297
0 Sportster drag bike
Last Post: Zip1
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 63
0 Harley quoted me $1300 for a mini ape install
Last Post: robbie202
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 186
Views: 42,932
0 Rear head removal on 77 Sportster
Last Post: ericfreeman
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 340
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: FrankGS
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 149
Views: 56,470
0 '66 XLCH VM38 Conversion
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 500
0 CV Carb hesitation
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 7
Views: 580
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 238
Views: 70,755
0 Mikuni VM-38 bogs in cool weather
Last Post: owlsplace
Replies: 10
Views: 310
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 613
Views: 88,234
0 Tuners
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 71
0 Morning default to odometer
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 367
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,246
Views: 312,134
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: Thack
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 245
Views: 83,652
More...
Members Birthdays
longrun-pa (70), goose59 (61), Stumble (56), Rowdy65 (55), peten (54), roderash (53), flightmedic (51), sportster steve (50), buscuit88 (32)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
echosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
hmm, so it still has the two exploding 20t harley gears inside the trans with the added torque of a stroker!?
I understand what you're saying.... however this was built by an old fart that has been a Harley Mechanic since the good Ole days... He would probably disagree with you. He also had another local legend in the Harley field that drag raced these stroker irons for many years. I'm a believer in these old guys and what they know from experience. I guess I'll have to see. Pretty sure it won't get driven more than 1 to 2k a year and it won't get beat. Thx for your input however.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Evo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
kitabel has much to be proud ofkitabel has much to be proud ofkitabel has much to be proud ofkitabel has much to be proud ofkitabel has much to be proud ofkitabel has much to be proud ofkitabel has much to be proud ofkitabel has much to be proud ofkitabel has much to be proud ofkitabel has much to be proud ofkitabel has much to be proud of

It's more of an art than modern bikes
Actually, far less complicated than newer bikes.

Is it exactly what you want? Offer him $2,000 less.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

echosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of lightechosporty is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL1275 View Post
Ok here's a little perspective. I sold my '76 CH to a friend of mine. Over the years he has probably spent $20K on it. I still would value his at say $4500. I get what you're saying if it's something that really catches your fancy and you indicate that. The value of something is what someone is willing to pay. It seems you are willing to pay that so it's worth that. Let's just say it starts appealing to a narrower market. I see your point now.

I'm still at a junction on mine. I cracked it open and put the 1275 kit and cams in it. Still in break-in period. In the back of my mind is that if the engine grenades, it basically has salvage value after me spending $5K in upgrades and just as much in my own sweat equity.

Go for it
Thank you. I value your input.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitabel View Post
Is it exactly what you want? Offer him $2,000 less.
Oh I will. He's asking 10. I'll probably offer 8 to 8500. Never hurts. He lives nearby and told me if I ever had any issues to NOT bring it to a Harley dealer b/c they don't know crap about these old ironhead, lol. He said to bring it his way and him and "Newt" will help me out, lol.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1275 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
XL1275 has much to be proud ofXL1275 has much to be proud ofXL1275 has much to be proud ofXL1275 has much to be proud ofXL1275 has much to be proud ofXL1275 has much to be proud ofXL1275 has much to be proud ofXL1275 has much to be proud ofXL1275 has much to be proud ofXL1275 has much to be proud ofXL1275 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by echosporty View Post
Thank you. I value your input.
It's a hobby. Albeit an expensive hobby. I should have bought more guns. But the scoot is just a big ole baby that I wish I could of had when I was 18. Got my Ironhead when I was 23, Man, they are cantankerous. But the bike is still out there as I mentioned. My point is get ready to wrench to keep her rolling. You say a lot of work has been done. That type of work you mention will need follow up. Clutches and stuff get to be more often, etc. But $9700 ain't nothing for a stepper as we say in the south. You can afford it, do it. It's cheaper than catching a nasty STD

Last edited by XL1275; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:49..
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

What your paying for is time. And your not paying a lot for that time.

Anyone who has built something as nice as this knows how long it takes. I can see more than 7 grand in the parts/paint etc. So your probably buying his time at 50 cents and hour.

I'm not sure I would be happy running a bike like that on the street. It will handle and brake as well as any 1930's motorcycle you care to mention.

But it has an engine capable of hitting 140+ MPH.

I don't think that's a great combination myself. You may find the bike a handful to ride.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1954
Other Motorcycle Model: Valkyrie
Other Motorcycle Year: 96
Tim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond repute

This is a classic late 70s type sled with a lot of attention to detail and very cleanly executed.
As has been said here, you could not have a shop build you this bike for that price. If you trust these guys and have a support system and a receipt trail, it’s not an outlandish price to me. Zoom in on the pics and find some wires. Look at the shift linkage. Things are done right. It’s even got the tender plug in place. This is your one stop shopping convenience.

If you’re even thinking about it, you’ve already got the green. Just make sure you don’t insult the builder when you negotiate price and don’t turn into a poseur when you realize how much attention it gets.

5 years from now it could very well be illegal to sell and buy a scoot like that. If you want it, there’s no time like the present.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

If it speaks to you,and you’ve ridden her so no surprises, go for it.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1973 HD/Aermacchi TX125
Other Motorcycle Model: 1966 Honda Dream 160
Whitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond reputeWhitewalls has a reputation beyond repute

$9500 for a '74 Ironhead is absurd. Market value is around $3k-$5k regardless of receipts. $20k could easily be spent on any bike project if you pay shops to do the work. I have spent nearly twice the market value on every bike project I have done and I do all the work myself. It's a hobby and labor of love.
If I was in the market for a $9500 bike it certainly would not be a '74 Ironhead.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: Electraglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Tipofthelake is a name known to allTipofthelake is a name known to allTipofthelake is a name known to allTipofthelake is a name known to allTipofthelake is a name known to allTipofthelake is a name known to allTipofthelake is a name known to allTipofthelake is a name known to allTipofthelake is a name known to allTipofthelake is a name known to allTipofthelake is a name known to all

That's a steep price for an ironhead, but let's face it, that's not really a 1974 sportster. You're shopping for a chopper and you're paying for style, and being stylish costs money.