The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 22,294
Views: 2,282,015
0 100 vs 110 front tire
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 121
Views: 75,397
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 48,416
Views: 7,819,761
0 painthuffer's bobber build (pic heavy)
Last Post: bill smith
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 199
Views: 32,829
0 old parts
Last Post: bill smith
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 404
0 Moto Iron Springer on a Stock 2001 Sportster
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 170
6 Secret photo"s of folkies loft
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,515
Views: 238,730
0 Starter for an XLCH
Last Post: Imaginearat
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 3
0 79-85 Breather Vent Mod - Adding a Secondary Vent Hose at 6:00 Position
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 77
Views: 2,720
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,085
Views: 2,184,043
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 18,146
Views: 1,072,329
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Replies: 4,019
Views: 794,873
0 cant bleed my brake please help !
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 26
Views: 1,098
0 so it's officially ended
Replies: 40
Views: 2,200
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: Nicktater
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,030
Views: 257,084
0 Xl???
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 365
0 1972 Build thread please subscribe
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 95
Views: 8,270
0 Sportster drag bike
Last Post: Zip1
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 61
0 Harley quoted me $1300 for a mini ape install
Last Post: robbie202
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 186
Views: 42,931
0 Rear head removal on 77 Sportster
Last Post: ericfreeman
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 336
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: FrankGS
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 149
Views: 56,470
0 '66 XLCH VM38 Conversion
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 498
0 CV Carb hesitation
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 580
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 238
Views: 70,754
0 Mikuni VM-38 bogs in cool weather
Last Post: owlsplace
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 308
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 613
Views: 88,214
0 Tuners
Last Post: npaisnel
Replies: 1
Views: 71
0 Morning default to odometer
Replies: 10
Views: 367
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,246
Views: 312,127
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: Thack
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 245
Views: 83,652
More...
Members Birthdays
longrun-pa (70), goose59 (61), Stumble (56), Rowdy65 (55), peten (54), roderash (53), flightmedic (51), sportster steve (50), buscuit88 (32)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Nitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of light

So it looks like the Ultima is just a knockoff of a dyna? From the same company that sells knockoffs of other companies stuff? Like their fake Super E carbs?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the pics Mr RELAX. That is the first time Ive seen the infamous Ultima that "everyone" uses. Yes it does look like a Dyna knockoff for sure.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just thought by now there would have been some consensus on which ignition system is the "best".

Quote:
Depending on which performance organization you trust most,
Now, there's a problem. I sometimes trust a sole trader. Very very occasionally, a partnership.

But I never trust companies. None of them. A company is a piece of paper. It has no compassion, no loyalty, no empathy - and you can't put it in jail if it hurts you.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Nitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of lightNitro57xl is a glorious beacon of light

Obviously, not "everybody" uses the Ultima since these other companies sell ignitions! And since all of them have been around for some time they must be selling them to " somebody"? Most of the ones I've seen have very similar features so it's like comparing apples to oranges? Its probably hard to say which one is actually superior to the others? The early hi-4's made by crane had some module failures where they would overheat and drop one cylinder! Since S&S bought them and redesigned them they are a better product.I don't know of anybody that got stranded on the road? The early versions of the dyna did the same thing? Mallory had issues with their early modules too? Those the bike quit completely. If the charging system voltage spiked too high the mallory modules would die? It took them awhile to figure that out? They all seemed to be reliable nowadays!

My issue with Ultima is not that the ignition doesn't work rather the company that sells them! Most all their stuff is knockoffs of other companies products, they sell alot of crap, they don't stand behind their stuff if it doesn't fit, they constantly change stuff. You buy something and a year later need a part, it's not available, but they want you to buy a whole new one? You order something and pay for it, then its backordered, and you either wait, or you get "store credit" but never get your money back? In short they are just a bunch of ripoff assholes? Don't believe me? Just search Ultima engine problems! I have been involved with a couple of their big bore stroker evo engines? What a nightmare those can be?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Blind Owl

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. That gives me pause for thought.

As I said, Clayton is not overly concerned about price. Quality is a bigger part of the equation.

And being in Oz and trying to get satisfaction from a company half way around the world can be "problematic".
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
darwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura about

I had a friend help me dynamically time it. It did not go well. Just cranking the engine over caused oil to spray out about 4 or 5 feet from the inspection hole.

Are the plastic covers for that hole still available? I don't see how one could see the mark even with the cover on it.

Keep in mind that I had the rear intake cam out. I lined up the timing marks between the pinion gear and all 4 camshaft gears, but I believe the book said t he gear to the right of those had no timing marks.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

i used the method shared by IronMick when using a timing light on my dad's evo.using a short piece of hose that will fit tightly in the timing hole.push it in until it makes contact with the flywheels.this will keep the oil from spraying all over.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Blind Owl

Leave the plug in but loose when you first start the bike.

Let it run a couple of minutes. Then remove the plug entirely. Most of the oil that was laying in the sump will be removed and the oil spray drops off quite a bit.

I like to use a timing light to confirm the advance is working correctly on those bikes that have it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
needspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond repute

Total advance timing on your '74 is 40° btc. and the flywheel mark is a vertical line.

If you static time the ultima per the instructions: With front cylinder at TOP DEAD CENTER on the compression stroke (tdc mark is a single dot) rotate the ignition clockwise till the red LED just turns off. At this setting the ultima is programmed to only give a maximum advance of 34° BTC and only if its set on advance curve #1.

So you probably won't see your 40° mark with a timing light unless you advance the module by rotating it clockwise. You can get close if you make a mark on the ignition base plate aligned with a mark on the cam cover. From that mark rotating the module clockwise about 5/32 (.156") should advance the timing about 6° to get you from 34 to 40.

If you choose to use any of the other curves you'll need to advance it even more.

You should have the purple VOES wire grounded so that the ignition is fully advanced by 1500 rpm and you'll need to have the engine revved to 1500 or more.

The base plate on the ignition is about 3" in diameter. So a mark rotated .026" at that diameter is equal to about 2 crankshaft degrees.

Another way to get closer to 40° is to static time with the flywheel TDC dot all the to the right in the hole instead of centered.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
darwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura aboutdarwin-t has a spectacular aura about

Great ideas on reducing oil spray. Thanks, guys!