The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Active Threads
0 New from Ohio
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 37
0 My Wife Says Ö
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 69
0 1982 coil
Last Post: chazzle
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 475
0 How to replace Intake Manifold Seals
Last Post: d10221
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 89
Views: 75,005
0 Year help on ironhead confused
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 192
0 NRA files for bankrupcy
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 143
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 19,481
Views: 1,163,114
0 63 XLCH revival
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Views: 77
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 25,910
Views: 2,658,755
0 Boardtracker Project
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 624
Views: 128,785
0 Tribotex
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 309
0 pinion shaft nut question
Replies: 6
Views: 186
0 front end conversion
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 12
Views: 311
0 From XL to FL - any experience?
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 906
0 Newbie seeks smoother ride
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 1,039
0 motorcycle on lift for two+ years
Last Post: xlerate
Views: 127
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 404
Views: 44,906
0 Wedding Ring - Do you wear one?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 340
Views: 30,814
0 Carb Air Vent hole cracked
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 13
Views: 682
0 1970 sportster overload
Last Post: sungod
Replies: 17
Views: 651
0 my sunday driver...
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 90
Views: 11,742
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,552
Views: 2,362,409
0 History of Harley; One Man's Perspective
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 146
0 Identity crisis
Last Post: Edmundas
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 2,019
0 front brake line help - 1980
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 228
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: Rollbar
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 420
Views: 66,882
0 Front shock upper bolts
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 306
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 49,426
Views: 8,037,510
0 Pinion shaft roller bearing plug fit
Last Post: Jaime1840
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 539
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: d10221
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 153
Views: 58,638
More...
Members Birthdays
hillclimber (71), burtondl2 (53), Cet (51), hagar71 (50), ShaneWolfe (49), grizdiesel (44), Confused89 (36), RAIDER0372 (35), spamer80 (35), svwannabe

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 CX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 1200 R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

One Of Those Nights

Iím having one of those nights. I woke up at 3:00 AM and the Committee in my head immediately convened. So I got up and played a couple of games on the laptop. Then I started looking at motorcycle parts.

There arenít many parts to look for to finish up the Gentlemanís Express. I pretty much know what parts I need and how much theyíre going to cost. But I still have the 78 Sportster down in the basement and it needs quite a bit. I had thought that the parts it needs are going to be a lot more expensive than the prices Iíve found. So far, Iíve spent the last hour looking at all kinds of things.

I was wondering if Iíve started looking at the 78 because itís winter. I spent a good bit of time playing with it last winter after I got back from Australia. Then I found the 16 Roadster and began building the Express, and the 78 got put on the back burner.

I could get sucked into building the 78. It needs a lot. A couple of items it needs are Swap Meet items. The right exhaust bracket for the chrome salami exhaust. The parts for the front of the seat so it mounts on the frame properly. I need to find a Superglide tank. It needs a generator and a clutch kit and cables; throttle, clutch, rear brake and Speedometer. I donít know what else. I guess that once I get my plastic paid down, Iíll be able to start back in on playing with it.

Part of me is saying that I could just buy some of the cheaper items. Twenty bucks for a cable or other cheap items. I know where that leads, though. If I do that, the payments on the plastic will get smaller and Iíll become obsessed with building the bike. Like I became obsessed with building the Gentlemanís Express.

When I bought the 16, I told myself that I was just buying the bike. I wasnít going to make any changes until both the plastic and furnace were paid off. That didnít even last a day, once I flew to Wichita and started riding it home. I didnít even get out of Kansas before I ordered brake and clutch levers and new hand grips. The ride home convinced me that I had to change the handlebars, and I was off and running. A sizable amount of debt later, the Gentlemanís Express is a reality. But the debt is still there and itís a lot bigger than it was last year at this time.

If I start buying ďCheapĒ parts for the 78, a year from now, Iíll still be in debt. I want to get it paid off and the only way to do that is to not buy unnecessary things; like parts to restore a 43 year old motorcycle.

Maybe once I get the debt cut in half of what it currently is, Iíll be able to start buying little items for the 78. But thatís going to be several months. And it feels like an alcoholic saying, "Well; if I can go six months without a drink, then I should be able to handle only having one or two!"

In the meantime, itís winter. I have things to do for both the Roadster and the Express. I guess Iíll concentrate on that. Thereís a beautiful new Alto Carbonite clutch kit still sitting on the dining room table. maybe itís time to put that in the express.

But not at 5:00 AM.
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 2004 XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: SOLD
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2000 X-1 lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: SOLD
Other Motorcycle Model: XB1200XT "Uly"
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
sprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
One Of Those Nights

Iím having one of those nights. I woke up at 3:00 AM and the Committee in my head immediately convened. So I got up ..................

................. maybe itís time to put that in the express.

But not at 5:00 AM.
No time like the present!

I have lots of things to do on both bikes and have most of the parts, but the cold has deprived me of all motivation.

You have been most productive!
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Two lines of thought John, 1-Git-r-done, 2-why do today what you can put off for tomorrow. Me, I’d probably ride somewhere, but that’s me. Do what you gotta do!
I.B.A.#26543,

Dads words of wisdom:Ēbehave and if you canít behave donít get caught!Ē

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 15 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 CX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 1200 R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Short Strokes

Itís a grey winter day. The temp is right around the freezing mark. The highs are supposed to be in the mid 30s and the lows are supposed to be in the low 20s right through the 10 day forecast with show showers off and on almost every day.

It snowed during the night. Not enough to count; just a dusting. Itís supposed to do it again this afternoon and again overnight. Itís not super cold, nor is the snow going to accumulate, but along with the leaden skies it makes for a bleak winter.

I doubt Iíll be going anywhere outside the house beyond the mailbox today.

When I was at the supermarket yesterday, I bought some ďsalad bowlĒ containers. I had measured the OD of the clutch plates and I measured the diameter of the containers. The clutch kit would fit in one, so I bought them. There were on sale - a package of 3 for $2.99. My Carbonite clutch plates have been sitting in one of them covered with Formula + for about 20 hours. Iíve been debating with myself if I should change out the clutch on the Express today. I probably wonít be taking it out for a few days, so I have plenty of time to do the job.Then again, if I do change it out, the bike will sit for a while before I get a chance to see if I like the new clutch. I also wonder if the oil will penetrate the clutch fibers as thoroughly in the colder temps. Maybe it would be smarter to let the plates sit for another day or so. I donít think sitting in oil for a longer time will hurt anything, so Iím leaning toward letting them sit. Iím also thinking that I might just bring the bowl (it is covered) upstairs into the heated house until itís time to start the job.

AFT finally released its schedule for 2021. The DuQuoin Mile is back once again. I checked with Gargle and itís 325 miles to the track. DuQuoin is one of the prettiest tracks Iíve been to and it matches Springfield for the quality of racing. I have a pretty good idea where Iím going to be on July 17. I hope tickets go on sale soon. I have my tickets for Springfield. Iíll have a ticket for DuQuoin as soon as they go on sale.

I guess I had better start replacing my tired out camping gear soon. REI has a 3 1/2Ē self inflating pad on sale in their closeout section. I should probably get that first. When I get my tax refund, Iíll get the new tent. I plan to get an exact replacement for my current tent. Iím really surprised that such a great tent sells for so cheap. $249.00 for a brand new tent is one hell of a deal. The USMC was instrumental in the design of this tent and it shows in both its durability and design. I got my present tent (a birthday present from David) in August of 2015 as a surplus tent and it has been a case of instant love and appreciation. I lived in this tent for a while and even though it is now wearing out, it has been more than good to me.

I just had a magnificent BLT for brunch. Iíve figured out the formula (recipe?) to make a truly incredible sandwich. Since Iím feeling generous, Iíll share it with you.

Toast a Kroger Private Selection Brioche roll (If you can find a Martin's Potato Bread Roll; even better!)

Take three slices of Wrightís thick sliced bacon and cut them in half so that you have six 5Ē or so pieces and fry them over low to medium heat

Spread Hellmanís Mayonnaise on both toasted roll halves

(This is the hard part) Find a good tomato and slice it into pieces that will just cover one side of the roll.

Get a head of iceberg lettuce and rip some pieces that will cover the diameter of the roll

When the bacon is cooked, and has sat on paper towels to absorb the excess grease, put two slices of bacon on the bottom of the roll.

Next, put the tomato on top of the bacon

Then put two more slices of bacon.

Then the lettuce.

Then the last two pieces of bacon

Then the top half of the roll.

Pour yourself a good cup of coffee and enjoy a bit of Nirvana.

Have a Nice Day!
Old 8 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Damn John, I just ate, read this and am now hungry again!