The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 55,201
Views: 9,434,381
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 30,747
Views: 1,803,167
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38,717
Views: 4,962,401
0 are these siftons
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 29
0 Rebuilding and Tuning a S&S GBL carburetor
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 79
Views: 2,461
0 winding idle up excessively to start bike.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 2,733
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,349
Views: 460,242
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: Diogenes415
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 265
Views: 92,039
0 Compensating sprocket.tighten and "pop!"
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 143
0 oil dripping fom carb
Last Post: maxedd
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 37
0 Primary cover screws... Washers??
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 7
Views: 240
0 1979 1000xlh front drive (chain) sprocket tourque
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 3
Views: 121
0 Screamin Eagle heads
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 133
0 New to me timing mark
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 123
0 What's Wrong With My Bike
Last Post: PoodlePunche
Replies: 82
Views: 4,138
0 Clutch Went Out Of Adjustment - Grenade Plate
Replies: 36
Views: 1,775
0 why you can't be seen
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 12,586
0 What makes a Hugger a Hugger?
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 2,047
0 shifter shaft bent
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 901
0 time will tell, but...... (blacked out: fad?)
Replies: 126
Views: 16,034
5 Are you married or single???
Last Post: AlexD
Replies: 539
Views: 80,127
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,351
Views: 3,446,679
0 1200S Fork Slider Differences 1999 to 2000
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 295
0 Special tools
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 201
Views: 206,390
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 383
Views: 87,740
0 Dealer says, "Sportsters are just a Phase"
Last Post: handa700
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 478
Views: 51,740
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,401
Views: 1,234,726
0 Harley Hacks & Tech Tips - Build It Better™ - So Much Useful Info!
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 607
0 Clutch spacing 1979 1000xlh
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 135
0 video & pics
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,758
Views: 178,570
More...
Members Birthdays
1911Bronco, Blackbird (84), thai808b (67), Nathan71 (53), lucky-13 (51), Barndog (49), discobanjo (45), albana (43), pat5150 (38)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
I do use the enrichner on the S&S's. On every cold start.

It's very noticeable if I fail to flick it off. Chalk and cheese difference. Stumbles, misses and won't idle.

So, if the enrichner on this carb is working correctly pulling it on while the engine is warm and happily idling will tell you that.
If you are even considering overlooking this bit of sage advice, you would be well advised to re-consider.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 12 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future

hi all, thanks for the tips and stories of experiences and knowledge gained. passing it on to me i am most appreciative of. however, none of it has helped me. i relayed previously how i had an older model... an original tm 40/6 and i wanted to rebuild that one. mainly because the idle is a small knob directly on top of the carb as apposed to the long stick setup that goes into the side of the carb and works the idle internally. i dont like it and never have..
anyway, i rebuilt the old one to no avail. it floods and the plugs wet up straight away and it doesnt start. carries onlike a stuck pig and sounds like a lawn mower. i havent had much luck with the mikunis. maybe im just an incopitent old fool. i must be missing something. i smply have very limited experience with carbs and they can be quite tempremental i am discovering. i will admit i am not the cleanest when i work and tend to get frustrated easy which i think lets me down. i am trying to get better.
i ended up swapping the old jugs from this bike for a super b. it was off a running ironhead so im half way there. ill give that a go while i attempt to get the mikuni up to scratch. so thanks again for all the advice. word is super bs are a bit simpler and do the job ok. the mikuni suits my riding style though cause i have a tendency to wind on hard and quick and use my gears a lot. my bike like to be revved and i like to give it to it. apparently the super b is more of a sedated roll on the throttle type verses a blat style of riding? i dont treat my bike like a 50 year old machine, i ride it like its a z9 which is probably not appriate. but the engine, heads and cams are all fresh and is built to go.
it has taken me a bit to learn how to ride my bike and it does like to be ridden with a fair bit of spirit. not flogged,just ridden relatively hard. it talks to me.
hopefully the super b has somewhere near the throttle response the mikuni has.
ive got tripple webbers on my xu1 torana but they were set up and dialled in by the po so ive never really had to mess with them. getting the exaust and carby to work in unison on an ironhead is a lot more experimentation that it appeards to beon face value. im certainly learning about carburretas, thats for sure. thanks again
Old 10 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 72
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 71
Other Motorcycle Model: Five Harleys
joe s has much to be proud ofjoe s has much to be proud ofjoe s has much to be proud ofjoe s has much to be proud ofjoe s has much to be proud ofjoe s has much to be proud ofjoe s has much to be proud ofjoe s has much to be proud ofjoe s has much to be proud ofjoe s has much to be proud ofjoe s has much to be proud of

The S&S B doesn't have an accel pump so it falls flat on fast throttle opening. You might be happier with a S&S E (shorty), which has the pump and is a fairly easy carb to tune. S&S has great instructions too.

1982 FXR - restoring to original; 1979 FXS 1340 Shovelhead
1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original; 96" Evo Softail self built chopper
2012 103" Road King "per diem"; plus 13 other bikes over the years...
Old 7 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

You can add an Accel "Superbowl" to a B. Gives you the pumper. HD also made a version just called "Superbowl". See them on Fleabay every now and again.

Buy a "Fake" S&S Shorty E. $59 USD. Some ship very cheaply.

You can buy that carb already jetted for you. It will work.

Also, the Super B is a great carb. It's simple and reliable. It can be tuned to suit your bike. It will get you there as fast as all the other carbs you just need to learn throttle control. The throttle is not an on/off sitch. It's an analog variable device.

So, do you just "dump" your clutch when you start off on your bike ?

Or do you "feed in" a bit of clutch at a time ? The clutch is not an on/off switch either. But you mastered that.
Old 2 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future73HEAD has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
You can add an Accel "Superbowl" to a B. Gives you the pumper. HD also made a version just called "Superbowl". See them on Fleabay every now and again.

Buy a "Fake" S&S Shorty E. $59 USD. Some ship very cheaply.

You can buy that carb already jetted for you. It will work.

Also, the Super B is a great carb. It's simple and reliable. It can be tuned to suit your bike. It will get you there as fast as all the other carbs you just need to learn throttle control. The throttle is not an on/off sitch. It's an analog variable device.

So, do you just "dump" your clutch when you start off on your bike ?

Or do you "feed in" a bit of clutch at a time ? The clutch is not an on/off switch either. But you mastered that.
he ferrous, na, i never dump the clutch ever. when i say i ride spirited i mean once going. i always respect the trusty old box. i feed it in like you say and go from there. in saying i ride like its a z9 is not exactly true, but i accelerate and use the brakes a lot more i think than the average rider of a 50 year old bike. i dont putt around like an old man. its normal rego and i ride it everyday ( when its going ) branko built me a beautiful tight responsive motor so i ride it accordingly. i have a 23 tooth on the front. i think it would be like a em 370 if i had say a 19 or 20 on it.
the response i found with the bendix was not on par with the mikuni and niether was the cv. ive heard those chinese super e are pretty good value for money. i might try one of them next. i have a solder pot and make all my own cables so why not i say. it turns me on to see what the characteristics are of different carbs on this motor. so we will see how the super b goes.
christ its hard to get the moifold on. thanks for taliking mate
Old 1 Hour Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

just a quick question... on the pointy end of the mixture screw is there a washer and or an o ring?
Old 1 Hour Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i dont putt around like an old man.
I'm not sure I understand this reference.

You do know I'm 71 don't you ?

I have hung up my leathers (Again !) but was still running minute 20's at Lakesdie two years ago.

Old man indeed.
Old 1 Hour Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Whooops !

Forgot the emoji's !