The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 40,511
Views: 6,214,951
0 Iree's late night cafe
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 888
Views: 79,176
0 Titanium Retainers
Last Post: Tom Beckner
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 2,055
0 Street tracker
Last Post: 45Brit
Replies: 29
Views: 1,298
0 Review: Progressive 490 shocks (13 inch)
Last Post: XLXR
Replies: 2
Views: 71
0 Long commute
Last Post: lucifer_mr2
Views: 99
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Reverend G
Replies: 6,556
Views: 466,192
0 Should I clean case for machine shop
Last Post: needspeed
Replies: 10
Views: 169
0 Turn signal failure
Replies: 28
Views: 774
0 Clutch removal tools
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 28
0 crack in head
Last Post: slamtry
Views: 986
0 Honda Nostalgia
Replies: 4
Views: 141
0 Just picked up a 1977 XLCH
Last Post: Coolhands
Replies: 10
Views: 373
0 Local noise ordinance
Last Post: brianbbs67
Replies: 18
Views: 436
0 Primary oil leak
Replies: 15
Views: 379
0 I recieved my new 1960 XLCH from New-Orleans
Replies: 506
Views: 60,487
0 Need a source for Ironhead shocks
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 901
0 What are you drinking tonight?
Last Post: wandrur
Replies: 1,894
Views: 99,791
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Replies: 727
Views: 72,574
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,679
Views: 308,664
0 Lost posts !!!!!!!!
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 8
Views: 228
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 5,137
Views: 544,224
0 HAMMERPerf 90" In the Works
Last Post: MatHormell
Replies: 1,508
Views: 154,209
0 No start, pull fuse and reinsert...starts
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Views: 1,034
0 Engine not running right.
Last Post: kkbii
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Views: 76
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Last Post: BSA Bob
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,945
Views: 193,023
0 What are you running for main jet in mikuni for a 1275?
Last Post: davesz1r
Replies: 3
Views: 146
0 Problems with recently rebuilt transmission
Last Post: davixlrtt
Replies: 135
Views: 9,263
0 Screw Loose's Repairs
Replies: 290
Views: 42,302
0 Tattoo poll
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 433
Views: 53,129
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1967
Keithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckthebeatertruck View Post
Um, that is a fantastic weight spread out of the box. I'd go buy a lottery ticket.

Mine were considerably off!
Gotta get lucky sometimes! Do you know how that compares to a standard cast set?

Is it worth considering lightweight rods for the new crank or are they crazy expensive for the gains to be had?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithybloodygeorge View Post
You're making me nervous here Ferrous! Hopefully I can avoid any similar issues 🤞

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
On my road engines - almost nothing.

Performance engines are a different matter.
We're often using custom made aftermarket parts . Sometimes treading into the unknown. With stock parts and dimensions everything's known and you just follow the formula. Once you start trying to "improve" an engine you can hit problems.
Once you start racing that engine everything gets much harder. Time always becomes the enemy. Your racing against the clock long before you ever get to the track. Your racing to get parts or get parts made. Your racing to assemble everything. Your racing to get the thing tuned. Your racing just to get to the start line in time to race.

patience is a real virtue here. And having guys who have been down the same road your traveling is a serious help.

There is nothing worse than someone standing beside you telling you that "Oh yeah, we tried doing that a few years back. Ours broke the exact same way as yours just did."

The only thing I can tell you is, once that engine fires I'm 7 foot tall and made out of Titanium - not to mention 18 years old again.
It's all worth it in my book.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: kawasaki z1
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
kaveebee has a brilliant futurekaveebee has a brilliant futurekaveebee has a brilliant futurekaveebee has a brilliant futurekaveebee has a brilliant futurekaveebee has a brilliant futurekaveebee has a brilliant futurekaveebee has a brilliant futurekaveebee has a brilliant futurekaveebee has a brilliant futurekaveebee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post

We're often using custom made aftermarket parts . Sometimes treading into the unknown. With stock parts and dimensions everything's known and you just follow the formula. Once you start trying to "improve" an engine you can hit problems.
Once you start racing that engine everything gets much harder. Time always becomes the enemy. Your racing against the clock long before you ever get to the track. Your racing to get parts or get parts made. Your racing to assemble everything. Your racing to get the thing tuned. Your racing just to get to the start line in time to race.

patience is a real virtue here. And having guys who have been down the same road your traveling is a serious help.

There is nothing worse than someone standing beside you telling you that "Oh yeah, we tried doing that a few years back. Ours broke the exact same way as yours just did."

The only thing I can tell you is, once that engine fires I'm 7 foot tall and made out of Titanium - not to mention 18 years old again.
I think I read somewhere that someone said that the actual time racing the thing was the easiest, the lead up was the hard part.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike is a name known to allIron Mike is a name known to allIron Mike is a name known to allIron Mike is a name known to allIron Mike is a name known to allIron Mike is a name known to allIron Mike is a name known to allIron Mike is a name known to allIron Mike is a name known to allIron Mike is a name known to allIron Mike is a name known to all

Quote:

Well said Ferrous. Although riding a "racer" around town is fun, expect some DNF"s. The thing about the track is you push it to the side and wait for the recovery crew, return to pits, try it again. On the road, you wait and all your buddies wait.
Simple solution- Build two.
One for local hot rodding (my favorite) and one to ride regularly and chase parts for the hot rod.
A friend of mine, who plays golf (yes, he's a bit weird), were talking one day and he was trying to figure out why I have so many bikes. They range from IH's, hwy BMW's, many dirtbikes to British little guys. I said "Bobby, why do you carry so many clubs n your golf bag? One for long drives, one for short little putts, one for the rough stuff ect.
Point is, build one for all the scenerios you like. Build a screaming fire breathing stroker, have a blast tearing it up and if it breaks, in the meanwhile ride another.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Know It All

11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all
Default Monte

.". Was the Guy in Freemont Donny Rich? ( Rich Products )"

Yes. He had made a flat jig that used all of the bolt holes to put the parts back together and then he'd weld them back together adding plenty of metal to the weak area. I don't remember what it cost but it wasn't cheap. In those days you could still buy cases sets from HD, but they looked different and you would have a DMV tag pop riveted to the side up by the case front. My brother's '65 had a set of new cases like that. The Fremont guy had all the business he could handle as guys were having those cases grenaded all of the time. It was awful to watch, like slaughtering a pig, all of the hot oil blowing out the bottom, the grinding, the shrapnel. Cut off the speedo gear at a machine shop, sweat that ring on and problem solved. We never had speedos on them anyway just a Smith's tach in the middle.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveebee View Post
I think I read somewhere that someone said that the actual time racing the thing was the easiest, the lead up was the hard part.
I spend thousands of dollars and countless hours getting my bike on to the dummy grid.
The racing is the payback for all that effort.

And I heave a sigh of relief every time that engine fires up just before I go out.

If the feelings I got from the actual track time weren't so strong I could give it up tomorrow. I guess it's a drug.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1967
Keithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I can only imagine. Sounds like it’s all worth it though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Other Motorcycle Model: Superglide
Other Motorcycle Year: 74
MDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond reputeMDT has a reputation beyond repute

There ain't nothing like the sound of your first big incher when it fires for the first time.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

A large part of why we like these things is the sound. It's arrhythmic, just like your heartbeat. Parallel twins and fours just can't compete in terms of sound.
The second thing we really like is the low rpm torque. These engines are more like steam engines that make maximum torque at zero revs,
We like the low down torque so much we try to build in more. And as everyone know the easiest way to add torque is to increase the capacity.

Unless you make changes to "things" when you increase the capacity you also increase the compression ratio. This also adds to the sound experience of these engines. There's nothing else that makes the same sound as a high compression V-Twin.

Harley at one time tried to patent that sound.