The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
5 HAMMER vs NRHS vs S&S Conversion Kits
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 79
Views: 5,753
0 What got you into bikes?
Last Post: lostNdallas
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 936
0 Sportster Tacho
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 182
0 Do you have the service manual?
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 757
Views: 197,674
0 98 Stator Removal / Inspection / Installation
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 11
Views: 112
0 opinion time (bike broke again)
Replies: 7
Views: 183
10 how low do you let it idle
Last Post: jkinkade
Replies: 41
Views: 6,821
0 Seeking advice on shorter rear shocks
Last Post: Gulf Coaster
Replies: 3
Views: 129
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: fafcpa
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,299
Views: 803,181
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 613
0 WTB 13 spoke rear wheel
Last Post: sml1226
Replies: 1
Views: 33
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: sml1226
Replies: 855
Views: 34,029
0 screaming eagle cams
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 7
Views: 238
9 Front Head Gasket repetitive failure
Last Post: BlackBikeDave
Replies: 21
Views: 1,835
0 Best Battery Maintainer and/or Booster?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 765
0 Rush or Khromewerks slip ons?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 60
Views: 2,362
0 Thoughts
Last Post: ex119x
Replies: 19
Views: 539
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Yakcm2
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,453
Views: 543,935
0 Questions on popping after start
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 263
0 What weight oil?
Last Post: 11B40
Replies: 14
Views: 728
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Coz
Replies: 2,563
Views: 219,086
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Replies: 51
Views: 7,633
0 “Super Quiet” or “Interconnected” exhaust
Last Post: Monte03
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 354
0 Benelli tank on 79’ sportster
Last Post: Fatylonghous
Views: 314
0 OEM front brake pads vs EBC double h
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 20
Views: 582
0 lighter clutch
Last Post: oldboy
Replies: 16
Views: 412
0 To Lace or Not to Lace, or While We're Doing This...
Last Post: RDHenley
Replies: 0
Views: 41
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,989
Views: 1,417,280
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,483
Views: 7,179,692
0 White Letter Tires
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 7,634
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

Does she already have significant riding experience on lighter bikes? Is she strong enough to keep the bike upright at parking lot speeds, especially if she accidently slides a bit on sandy or wet pavement? Can she back it out of the garage by herself? Being "a Harley guy" is no justification to place her safety at risk. I have seen too many beginning riders hurt. Well, I have also seen a lot of experienced riders hurt, but that is a different story.

I knew a guy who bought his wife a new 883 as her first bike. Then she took her motorcycle riding course on a Honda Rebel. She bought herself a new Rebel.

At 130 lbs with a frame mount bike, you need a very light spring for the shocks. The 1200S shocks have a 54/78 lb/in spring. But at 13.25" (if I remember correctly) they will need a lowering block. Read this thead:

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...d.php?t=164018

Any shocks with heavier springs will likely ride very harsh.

Colinb tried some Hagon shocks in the range you are looking for, but they used extra rubber bumpers to get them to work. I don't have the link saved.

I don't know of anyone who has tried to set up a frame mount bike for a 130 lb rider, so I can't give you specific recommendations. Changing chasis pitch can affect stability and handling. Usually, having the front end too low causes the bike to be more unstable. If you have a 180 lb rider sit on the bike with stock suspension, measure the front and rear of the frame rails in relation to the floor. Try to make your final set up settings to provide the same chassis pitch. Then be careful for the first test rides. Bump the bars at 40 mph, 45,50 etc and continue only if no wobble is noticed. I have no idea how much of a problem wobble can be in a frame mount bike.
Former Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.

Last edited by XLXR; 29th January 2009 at 05:25..
Old 30th January 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883C w 1200 kit
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: FXR BLACK & Cam'd Out!!
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
familysporty is an unknown quantity at this point

Keeping the same pitch is a great idea....good thinkin'! Trust me, I've had my fair share of falls learning, and I don't wish that one anyone!! Thanks for all of your help, AND being a concerned forum participant!!! It is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 5th February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 08
Atomic Punk is on a distinguished roadAtomic Punk is on a distinguished roadAtomic Punk is on a distinguished road

Had the same problem as you, except my wife was just slightly taller and slightly heavier. I have a 1200 Custom and went with a 4 pronged attack to fix the problem. It took all four items to make the bike safe and comfortable for her.

1) the cheapest and actually item that made the most difference was to have a cobbler add a inch to the bottom of her boots and a extra 1/2 inch to the heels

2) used lower blocks on the rear with stock shocks. Went with one inch blocks because was afraid of clearance problems because I retained stock shocks. Did rub a couple times when we were ridding two up

3) took seat in and had it narrowed at the nose to allow her legs to be closer together and took just a little off of the top of the seat to lower it.

4) slid forks up triple trees about one inch, also drained a little fluid out of forks but then they would bottom out occaisionlly. Bought a Progressive lower kit with new springs for the front- that lowered it about 2 inches.

After all way said and done she could flat foot the bike with a slight knee bend and back it up when needed. About $400 total
Old 5th February 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

Reducing preload will have a greater lowering effect than reducing oil level. Generally, reducing preload to increase rider sag can be combined with increasing oil level to minimize bottoming out.
Old 6th February 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883C w 1200 kit
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: FXR BLACK & Cam'd Out!!
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
familysporty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
Reducing preload will have a greater lowering effect than reducing oil level. Generally, reducing preload to increase rider sag can be combined with increasing oil level to minimize bottoming out.
Huh?
Old 6th February 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

It's basic suspension set up techniques. Read the links in my signature for details.

The spring supports the weight of bike and rider. Decreasing the length of the preload spacer basically softens the spring rate, which means the spring will compress more under the weight of bike and rider. The distance the forks compress when the rider sits on the bike is called rider sag. Too much preload makes the spring stiffer, so the bike rides higher and feels stiffer over small bumps in the road. The minimum preload spacer length is where the top of the spacer just touches the bottom of the fork cap when it is screwed all the way down because you don't want the spring bouncing around loose when the forks are fully extended.

The oil dampens the movement of the forks/tire, it does not support the weight of the bike, but read on. On top of the oil is a small air chamber. As the forks compress, that air chamber gets smaller. If you add oil, that air chamber gets smaller, and it gets smaller quicker as the forks compress which resists bottoming. Adding oil tends to have the greatist effect at the end of the stroke by resisting bottoming of the forks. Too much oil will cause the fork to lock up. You should use a plastic tie on the forks to make sure you are using all the fork travel over big bumps or hard braking without bottoming the forks too hard. Short forks of Nightsters and Lows need about 1 oz, long forks on Roadsters need about 2 oz's extra, or even a little less.

Preload and oil height are related. Generally set the preload first to get the rider sag and ride quality you want. Then if the forks are bottoming out, add just enough oil to stop the bottoming.