The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Powder Coating Spoked Wheel Rim
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 290
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 30,720
Views: 1,802,035
0 Engine Guard question
Last Post: RedPearl1200
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 36
0 Clutch spacing 1979 1000xlh
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 68
0 Primary cover screws... Washers??
Last Post: Monte03
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 119
0 Clutch Went Out Of Adjustment - Grenade Plate
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 32
Views: 1,314
0 Rebuilding and Tuning a S&S GBL carburetor
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 66
Views: 1,651
5 Mick Off Line
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 1,484
0 winding idle up excessively to start bike.
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 2,204
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 38,694
Views: 4,956,816
0 Round Air Cleaner Poll
Last Post: BSA Bob
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 357
Views: 85,362
0 shifter shaft bent
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 839
0 why you can't be seen
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 12,116
0 time will tell, but...... (blacked out: fad?)
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 125
Views: 15,403
0 is a buell a harley
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 182
Views: 39,567
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,346
Views: 3,444,309
0 Mad Dogs and Englishmen
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 124
0 What's Wrong With My Bike
Last Post: PoodlePunche
Replies: 81
Views: 4,082
0 Technician VS Mechanic: What's The Difference?
Replies: 5
Views: 367
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 55,177
Views: 9,432,570
0 Cocktail Shaker Exhaust
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 263
0 video & pics
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,751
Views: 177,580
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,394
Views: 1,233,883
0 Snippets
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 730
Views: 112,237
0 1200S Fork Slider Differences 1999 to 2000
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Replies: 7
Views: 265
0 Zenith / Bendix Accelerator pump
Last Post: ZTatZAU
Replies: 15
Views: 457
0 Model H and DR DICK, Weekend Shop Videos
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 28
Views: 3,955
0 Seeking information on long lost "race" parts
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Replies: 34
Views: 2,588
0 Need Correct K & N Filter #
Last Post: Steve S.
Replies: 13
Views: 421
0 Wheel bearings, steering race, or is it nothing?
Last Post: OzarkXL1200R
Replies: 18
Views: 1,140
More...
Members Birthdays
MAJBJD (79), 3sporty53, Jt1200r (69), 69camfrk (57), nooz (48), rixta (47), saltman241 (44), Jhard206 (36), Screamin' 07 XL (36)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2022
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
jp2code is a splendid one to beholdjp2code is a splendid one to beholdjp2code is a splendid one to beholdjp2code is a splendid one to beholdjp2code is a splendid one to beholdjp2code is a splendid one to beholdjp2code is a splendid one to beholdjp2code is a splendid one to beholdjp2code is a splendid one to beholdjp2code is a splendid one to beholdjp2code is a splendid one to behold
Default Header Bolts

Engines come with studs in the heads for mounting exhaust manifolds or headers.

A few years back, a mechanic was installing a set of headers on my truck. He removed the studs and used bolts in the heads instead because the area was too tight to get the headers over the studs.

Today, I am installing the SuperTrapp 2-1 exhaust on my old 2003 Sporty. While removing the exhaust, the old studs on the rear head snapped in two, so they need to be replaced.

In reviews of the SuperTrapp 2-1 exhaust, I noticed more than one person complaining about the 2-1 style being difficult to fit over the exhaust studs because the 2-1 is a welded piece that cannot be manipulated.

Is there any reason why I couldn't use bolts in the heads instead of studs?

Pros and Cons, please!

If I use bolts, what kind of bolts should I get? Stainless? Mild steel? Hardened steel?
Old 19th June 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

studs are often used so the load or wear is not on the softer head material. also a lot of studs use diff threading on each end and also some have a limiter that prevents the stud from becoming too deep into the head material.
can you use bolts, why sure, just need to be more careful, also keep in mind, that studs have a "B" rating so keep the bolts close to that range. if not high enough, with repeated use and heat cycles, they can snap off, best to used new bolts every time.
Old 19th June 2022
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
Today, I am installing the SuperTrapp 2-1 exhaust on my old 2003 Sporty. While removing the exhaust, the old studs on the rear head snapped in two, so they need to be replaced.
Don't be a fool and attempt to extract the broken stud with an easy-out. The situation will only go from bad to worse. That end of the stud, that screws into the head, is an interference fit thread. It's designed to bind up in the head, and it does a mighty fine job. People who don't know this often break off an easy out, thinking it can be extracted. At that point, the repair requires carbide or diamond tooling.

Bite the bullet and go get this tool. It's the right way to fix it. Generally speaking, it works so well that you drill right through the broken stud, leaving the shell of it which can be easily removed, and the threads remaining in the head are still intact. Worst case, you're heli-coiling it, but usually there's no need.

I would replace it with the factory stud, part number 16715-83, so that you maintain the interference fit thread. I have yet to see an aftermarket stud that has it.

If you want to use bolts, at the very least you should heli-coil or time sert each hole. Otherwise the bolt will just tear up the aluminum over time. To the extent the exhaust moves around relative to the motor, it's flexing those fasteners.

I've installed lots and lots of exhaust systems, both 2:1's and 2:2's. The only one I've ever encountered that was difficult to mate to the heads was the V&H Short Shots, which ironically, are a 2:2 design, albeit with the two pipes welded to each other. Perceived difficulty in installation is not a good reason to compromise the attachment of the pipes to the heads, in my opinion. To each his own.

Old 20th June 2022
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
denguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond repute

If you use bolts, put some high temp rtv sealant on them, might keep them from vibrating loose and you can still get them back out without thread damage.
Old 29th June 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

super duper +1 mr. aswracing.

even applies to engine mfg decades ago!
Old 29th June 2022
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Oval the holes on the header pipe, just a little, to get them to slide on. Studs are more reliable as the torque rating is only around 9ft.lbs.