The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Active Threads
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,144
Views: 303,726
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,409
Views: 745,023
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: Screw Loose Dan
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 748
0 XR heads on XL?
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 90
0 Oil Pump Upgrade '86-'90
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 1,636
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 42,175
Views: 6,535,915
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,717
Views: 235,117
0 Tires
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 861
0 77 kicker engagement issues
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 8
Views: 202
0 IH steering stem
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 2
Views: 134
0 XR1200 Torquehammer exhaust failure.. again.
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 20
Views: 720
0 How stock is your bike
Last Post: commando57
Replies: 144
Views: 29,758
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,114
Views: 748,723
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,857
Views: 277,299
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 244
Views: 75,343
0 Helmet poll
Last Post: Kbetts
Replies: 820
Views: 149,079
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 792
Views: 49,189
0 New XL1200L from Oakland
Last Post: themadone
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 135
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,740
Views: 190,187
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 829
Views: 77,075
0 WTB Stock 4.3 gal Custom tank
Last Post: steveolds
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 48
0 Tire Size
Last Post: Civil War Harley
Replies: 2
Views: 98
0 Best Riding/Motorcycle Memes-Let's see 'em!
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 256
Views: 38,373
0 Mag wheel corrosion
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 118
0 Cheers from Germany
Last Post: oreocat1
Replies: 20
Views: 340
0 Stock vs. Modified
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 277
Views: 85,800
5 popping in and out of first gear
Last Post: canoli
Replies: 157
Views: 62,894
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: 83xls
Replies: 429
Views: 55,667
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,392
Views: 1,469,160
0 My 2002 Cafe Build
Last Post: 1904Sportster
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 1,222
More...
Members Birthdays
bobman, eagle101 (71), nemosengineer@yahoo.com (62), Callao (62), Dweezil (54), Dnew73, JimmyHBS (43), Ulv666 (42), 883ccXL (37), jmr1283 (35), dtschrum (31)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Diogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I grew up with a couple of brothers who, like I, were competitive. Not in an "in your face" sort of way but we'd try to push each other past what we thought were our limits. Since we rode together that transferred to our riding prowess as well. We'd have closed course competitions of who could stop the quickest, ride a section of road the fastest and stuff like that. Practice makes perfect. We were then turned on to Keith Code's book 'Twist of a Wrist' which taught us practical applications that not only work on the race track but on the street as well. We applied those lessons learned to our bike handling practices. We rode in various groups of hooligans and got in situations in which, over the years, riding buddies have died because of their lack of preparedness which was surpassed by their testosterone levels yet my brothers and I have survived. Riding a motorcycle isn't just a recreational activity, it's a discipline in which preparation and training helps increase your odds of surviving difficult situations that are thrown in your path. Forty years later we are still alive and riding without incident... without ever having crashed on public roads or even 'dropped' a bike.

With that said it's in your best interest to approach riding a motorcycle with you on your 'A' game... with your tools, your motorcycle, being at it's peak efficiency. A motorcycle will stop best using the front brake, that's a fact. Conditioning yourself to use it well as your primary instinct instead of relying on making a decision and responding, which causes precious seconds to lapse, is a game changer. Sure motorcycle styles and trends tend to dictate what sort of handicap you will be left to deal with but if you want to increase your odds of surviving the game, choose a good set of tools that you have trained to use.

Rant off.
Old 14th September 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Diogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond reputeDiogenes415 has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I grew up with a couple of brothers who, like I, were competitive. Not in an "in your face" sort of way but we'd try to push each other past what we thought were our limits. Since we rode together that transferred to our riding prowess as well. We'd have closed course competitions of who could stop the quickest, ride a section of road the fastest and stuff like that. Practice makes perfect. We were then turned on to Keith Code's book 'Twist of a Wrist' which taught us practical applications that not only work on the race track but on the street as well. We applied those lessons learned to our bike handling practices. We rode in various groups of hooligans and got in situations in which, over the years, riding buddies have died because of their lack of preparedness which was surpassed by their testosterone levels yet my brothers and I have survived. Riding a motorcycle isn't just a recreational activity, it's a discipline in which preparation and training helps increase your odds of surviving difficult situations that are thrown in your path. Forty years later we are still alive and riding without incident... without ever having crashed on public roads or even 'dropped' a bike.

With that said it's in your best interest to approach riding a motorcycle with you on your 'A' game... with your tools, your motorcycle, being at it's peak efficiency. A motorcycle will stop best using the front brake, that's a fact. Conditioning yourself to use it well as your primary instinct instead of relying on making a decision and responding, which causes precious seconds to lapse, is a game changer. Sure motorcycle styles and trends tend to dictate what sort of handicap you will be left to deal with but if you want to increase your odds of surviving the game, choose a good set of tools that you have trained to use.

Rant off.
Old 14th September 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
Honestly, in a real panic situation, that isn't going to happen. Everyone really needs to take the time to learn how to lock up both brakes and bring it to a complete stop without crashing from at least 30 MPH. You are never going to downshift three times in fast succession while the bumper in front of you is getting closer by the second.

In the military, the government owns your body, you are essentially government property. Back in 69 while in Okinawa we had to be able to do just that to get a license. It was part of the test that included some other really hairball things. Looking back, I'm probably alive today because they forced me to learn things that most of the time you will never use. Locking the brakes is never recommended, but the ability to do it is as important as breathing in my book.
Actually where I grew up we had to do similar stuff in a car as part of our driver's ed class. Lock it up and spin it around in a parking lot. Fun stuff. lol

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Henry007 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great and useful thread! Unfortunately, everyone can face such a problem. It is not a joke, your life is in danger...Also I think it is hard not to panic at this moment
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post

Rant off.
Extremely well stated!!!