The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help Tell us about your latest ride or even an old one.

Active Threads
0 Lifters
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 300
0 FS: 79 to 85 XL/XR H-D Service Manual
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 45
0 Returning member from SC
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 18
0 WTB WTT 2004 XL1200C V&H Sideshots and OEM Forward Controls
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Views: 8
0 7 spoke 18" rear rim, drum brake?
Last Post: sleighcrane
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Views: 56
0 Safety Tips - Cager Blinkers
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Views: 48
0 03 xl1200C Riser Alternatives
Last Post: BlackBikeDave
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Views: 33
0 27 or 29 Tooth Pulley
Last Post: Sirrom1
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 3,208
0 Poll: What weight fork oil do you use?
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 127
Views: 35,583
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 10,307
Views: 1,778,142
0 Divorced quick question
Last Post: Gold Member
Replies: 7
Views: 687
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 3,715
Views: 453,304
0 XL Bomber - Portuguese project
Replies: 162
Views: 53,712
8 HELP! Brand new battery, but nothing works
Last Post: Armand
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 615
0 Nikita helps Vlad learn good habits
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 35
0 oops, my bad.
Replies: 22
Views: 517
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 14,309
Views: 1,334,313
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 2,469
Views: 320,911
0 XLCH Crazy voltage spike
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 545
0 77 xlch buying advice. Thanks.
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 8
Views: 258
0 Fatster Project
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 9
Views: 940
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,905
Views: 904,896
0 Gas leak from carberateur
Last Post: mickey t
Replies: 31
Views: 532
0 Mounting fatbob tanks on a '74
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 10,362
0 1973 XLH rebuild thread
Last Post: Iron John
Replies: 11
Views: 369
0 Larger gas tank for 1996?
Replies: 37
Views: 4,279
0 1958 XL Primary Cover
Last Post: spacecoast
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 117
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,172
Views: 7,120,785
0 Unpin tail lamp connector
Last Post: jsandidge
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 117
More...
Members Birthdays
rokhedjo (57), ROSCO666 (55), Murdog1968, sep69 (50), 034life (47), 75XLCH (38), Looney (38)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2019
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parslow's Hillock, 4th September 2019

Today I went on a ride around the Chilterns, and to Parslow's Hillock in Buckinghamshire.

Parslow's Hillock is a hamlet at the top of the escarpment edge of the Chilterns, overlooking Princes Risborough on the plain below (about 1½ miles away). It's near the village of Lacey Green, along with other tiny hamlets, like Loosley Row, and Wardrobes (really!).

It was rainy early on, so I didn't set off until mid morning, when the rain had stopped and it had brightened up.

This is the route that I took:

I went through Petworth and Milford to Guildford, then North on the A322 to Swinley Forest.

Swinley Forest (old pic):

Then North on smaller roads, through Chavey Down, Winkfield Row, … . Then I had to do a bit of a detour, because of a road being closed. And on to White Waltham.

White Waltham Airfield (old pics):

Then on the A404 to High Wycombe and into the Chilterns.

Here is the middle part of the ride, in the Chilterns, at a much larger scale:

From High Wycombe (just right of centre on the map), I started off up the A4010, before turning off along little lanes (Clappins Lane, Spring Coppice Lane, Pink Road) through Bradenham, Walter's Ash, Speen, over Hampden Common and through Great Hampden, and so to Parslow's Hillock (the red place marker, at the top of the map).

I had lunch at the Pink & Lily pub in Parslow's Hillock. The pub, and the lunch, was just about perfect; everything a village pub should be. I believe that it's called the 'Pink & Lily' because it's at the junction of Pink Road with Lily Bottom Lane (although I have heard other theories).

The Pink & Lily:

After lunch I went along Wardrobes Lane (!), by Hemley Hill, along a bit of the Upper Icknield Way, to Bledlow Ridge. The Icknield Way is the Summer route of the Ridgeway; so: a few thousand years old.

On reaching the road along the top of Bledlow Ridge, I stopped to take some pics:

I saw a Red Kite:

Even when they seem quite close, they never seem to come out very big in the picture.

On a previous ride, Bledlow Ridge from Sprigs Holly Lane:

I went along Bledlow Ridge and back to West Wycombe, then on some very narrow lanes again through Lane End and Frieth (Bullocks' Farm Lane, … ), and through some improbably named hamlets (Parmoor, Pheasants, Rockwell End, Rotton Row, … ) down to the Thames at Mill End (bottom centre on the detailed map).

Then along the bank of the Thames to Henley. As usual it was lovely by the river:

I saw a family of swans:

This is the route back home:

I crossed the Thames at Henley, then went along minor roads through Cockpole Green (!) and Warren Row back to White Waltham. Then back the way I came (remembering to do the same detour in reverse) through Swinley Forest to the M3. Went a few miles only on the M3, then on the A331 by Farnborough and Aldershot, to Tongham, past the Hog's Back Brewery (), a bit of the old Hogs Back road, then through Seale, Elstead, Milford, and home.

Total distance: 156 miles.

That was a really nice day. Much better than I thought it was going to be when I saw the weather first thing!

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 4th September 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a great ride. I love the write up and pics!
Old 5th September 2019
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for another great read and photos. I have an Aunt lives in Bledlow Ridge, I've no memory of visiting her as it was before starting school. Nice shot of red kites, they're quite common in Yorkshire now, seen the odd one near Bretherton Lancashire. No need for your silver bullets, Holy water & Crucifix this time! Best bring them if you're going to Oakley Court!
Old 5th September 2019
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamazon View Post
No need for your silver bullets, Holy water & Crucifix this time! Best bring them if you're going to Oakley Court!
No chance of that; I'm staying well away from that place after your warnings!
Old 5th September 2019
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

Oakley Court was the only place that spooked me! I got a very uneasy feeling & felt a bad atmosphere about it during my visit. I t was a few years later I read of it's sinister reputation
Old 6th September 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamazon View Post
Oakley Court was the only place that spooked me! I got a very uneasy feeling & felt a bad atmosphere about it during my visit. I t was a few years later I read of it's sinister reputation
Maybe it was the time warp?