The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 WTF is it with these F'n rocker cover leaks!
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 137
Views: 2,406
0 Hi From NJ
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 15
0 Grounded
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 87
Views: 3,171
4 Oil Filter
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 What engine oil do you use?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 466
Views: 92,314
0 Removing oil pump
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 200
0 Hardtail sporty ideas
Last Post: LocoLocal
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 963
0 Cost of ejikation
Last Post: shooterj2003
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Views: 1
0 DK Custom-Parts Info, Testing, & Results w/ Pics & Fun-to-Read Ride Reports
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Views: 2,495
0 Cheap Generator Source?
Last Post: shooterj2003
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 4,928
0 Sticky Valve fix
Last Post: Sadsack
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 5,047
0 EFI fuel tank hose fail
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 20
0 Ride Report 2019 Black Hills, Grand Teton Mtns., Rocky Mountain Ntl. Park
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 1,991
0 Roland Sands Design Nostalgia Air Cleaner Black Ops
Last Post: darthrinzler
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 17
0 Sportster Spoked Wheel Options
Last Post: Desertfox
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Views: 406
0 Iron OEM Black Exhaust
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Views: 5
0 OEM Satin Black Mirrors
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 12
0 Coil Relocation Bracket w/ Satin Black Cloth Cables
0 Harley Dominion Hand Grips
0 Vance & Hines V02 Rogue Air Intake Black 40071
Views: 14
0 once a cheater always a cheater?
Last Post: tonyhds
Replies: 37
Views: 3,997
0 Bearing questions
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 10
Views: 336
0 Have you ever BEEN PAID for sex?
Last Post: clif02
Replies: 150
Views: 28,718
0 EFI hose clamps
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 489
0 Best way to 883->1200cc ?
Last Post: hexnut
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 217
0 Quick Question (Tach Wiring)
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 80
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 6,133
Views: 778,868
4 The no-debate OIL POLL
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 224
Views: 65,259
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 10,797
Views: 871,566
More...
Members Birthdays
View Poll Results: how often do people comment on your bike?
once per ride or more 866 38.47%
every other ride 339 15.06%
one in five rides 227 10.08%
one in 10 rides or less 100 4.44%
who cares? 719 31.94%
Voters: 2251. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been riding motorcycles since the early 1960's and I'm still trying to figure out:
-why people who ride a motorcycle don't "drive" them
-why people who ride a motorcycle are called "bikers"
-why people who ride a bicycle are called "cyclists"
-why people on most cruisers prefer to wear all black apparel in the hot sun of summer
-why some people on any motorcycle think it's a good idea to wear flip-flops and t-shirts
No, I don't think people who ride motorcycles have changed much at all.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
owlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerguy View Post
I've been riding motorcycles since the early 1960's and I'm still trying to figure out:
-why people who ride a motorcycle don't "drive" them
-why people who ride a motorcycle are called "bikers"
-why people who ride a bicycle are called "cyclists"
-why people on most cruisers prefer to wear all black apparel in the hot sun of summer
-why some people on any motorcycle think it's a good idea to wear flip-flops and t-shirts
No, I don't think people who ride motorcycles have changed much at all.
That's pretty much what I've noticed. I think all the chrome dazzles people.
I lost a glove in the supermarket yesterday and as I was backtracking a woman approached me to tell me she had turned it in. Very considerate of her to go out of her way.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsplace View Post
That's pretty much what I've noticed. I think all the chrome dazzles people.
I lost a glove in the supermarket yesterday and as I was backtracking a woman approached me to tell me she had turned it in. Very considerate of her to go out of her way.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think if you surveyed a cross-section of riders and non-riders, people are still people. In spite of the media and a few "posers" (like the skinny little guy wearing his leather uniform in the parking lot of a local H-D dealership doing his "macho-swagger" to impress anybody who was watching), you find good and bad people everywhere -- mostly good, I think.

One of the best examples I ever saw was just recently at a Saturday morning swap-meet in the basement of a Harley dealership. An old seasoned (sun, wrinkles , whiskers, tattoo's, etc.) was very politely asking the lady sewing patches on leather jackets to sew his new patches on his jacket sleeves. One said "CLEAN" and the other said, "SOBER". I thought it was great that nobody thought it was out of line and everybody there was extremely polite, regardless of age, sex, race, apparel, gender-bias, or anything else. It was more like a family reunion than anything else. No discussions about politics or judgment calls. It was a very warm gathering.
Old 1 Week Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXLR Low Rider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2019
SLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.......why people on most cruisers prefer to wear all black apparel in the hot sun of summer
Retake your physics class. Black (at least loose fitting) will be as cool as if not cooler in the summer heat. Just search "Why do Bedouins wear black in the Desert Heat" or similar. most studies have shown little if any difference in body heat between dark and light colors.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLW210 View Post
Retake your physics class. Black (at least loose fitting) will be as cool as if not cooler in the summer heat. Just search "Why do Bedouins wear black in the Desert Heat" or similar. most studies have shown little if any difference in body heat between dark and light colors.
I was also referring to helmets. There is a video of one manufacturer using a "thermal gun" aimed at a white helmet and a black helmet, same brand, side be side, in the sun. The black helmet was 17 degrees hotter.

My white helmet is always cool after leaving it hanging on my handlebar in the sun while I go inside a restaurant or store. My buddy's black helmet is much hotter.

Try getting into a dark colored car vs a light colored car in the sun. Same difference.

When I mow the yard, I have personally found dark colors to be hotter than light colors and they are always loose.

My dogs have black and white hair. The one with black hair is much hotter to the touch and he hates to go out into the summer sun.

I will say that my summer mesh jacket with protective padding and gray and black sections is cool while I'm moving. However, the instant I stop, the black sections are definitely hotter than the gray ones and I start to sweat instantly; once I start moving, my sweat starts to evaporate and actually cools me down a lot, but just briefly.

My black leather bomber jacket has never failed to keep me warm in the winter, though.

I'll just stick with what has worked for me from experience.
Old 1 Week Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I wear a jean vest over my Leather bike jacket. You can unzip the leather and keep the jean vest buttoned and it works to keep you cooler. Getting the jean vest wet works even better and the jean vest makes a good liner when weather gets cold.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam503 View Post
That's why I wear a jean vest over my Leather bike jacket. You can unzip the leather and keep the jean vest buttoned and it works to keep you cooler. Getting the jean vest wet works even better and the jean vest makes a good liner when weather gets cold.
Great idea with the jean vest. I have a liner that is designed to get wet and then "snap" it before putting my bicycle helmet over it. It is great!!!!!

I've had many jobs over the last 50 years as an adult and many of them included working on road crews and outside construction in various states including south Florida. I found out in a hurry to leave my white t-shirt on instead of going shirtless and letting my dark tan burn me up. It also works while in the water when swimming, water-skiing or whatever.

If you notice the people who live in the Caribbean islands, you will see most of them wearing light colored and loose clothing. I never saw any of them wearing black wool or black hats.
Old 1 Week Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Great idea with the jean vest. I have a liner that is designed to get wet and then "snap" it before putting my bicycle helmet over it. It is great!!!!!

I've had many jobs over the last 50 years as an adult and many of them included working on road crews and outside construction in various states including south Florida. I found out in a hurry to leave my white t-shirt on instead of going shirtless and letting my dark tan burn me up. It also works while in the water when swimming, water-skiing or whatever.

If you notice the people who live in the Caribbean islands, you will see most of them wearing light colored and loose clothing. I never saw any of them wearing black wool or black hats.
When I was a pup (around 12 years old, 1968) I asked a biker why they all had jean vests and that was the general answer I got, so when I started riding, my jean jacket became a vest.
I think black works best in dry arid places and white works best in humidity and areas with a lot of bodies of water.
My helmet is flat black AND white!

Check out this thread: http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=311259

Last edited by Toejam503; 1 Week Ago at 02:05..
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Speaking of "Do people notice your Bike". When I was at the local HD dealership today, they offered me $3600 for my bike (my bike was at home). I asked them "Don't you need to look at it?" The salesman said they look at it every time I ride it there. He told me it was an '06 with 30400 miles... Last time I looked at the Odo. it said 30197. Then I asked him why he wanted it. He said "Used Sportsters are very hard to come by, lately and he knows he can sell mine". I told him I'm keeping it and if I buy a new bike, then I'll have 2. My bike has 30800 mi. now.
Old 5 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2005 XL1200Custom
hammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond repute

Various people have made positive comments about my 'Dragonfly' green bike