The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Active Threads
0 Allegheny National Park III
Last Post: mick42
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 100
Views: 7,040
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26,913
Views: 1,562,085
0 Alternative to stock clutch cable?
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 58
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34,039
Views: 4,103,097
0 Rear Brake Squeal Fixed
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 731
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 53,041
Views: 8,986,328
5 Removing primary engine sprocket nut with heat gun, special caution needed?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 207
0 Rocker Arm Acorn Nut Torque Problems..
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 7,464
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 335
Views: 74,322
0 re rocker arm cover spewing out oil
Last Post: Flam
Replies: 2
Views: 54
0 Informed reviews!
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 8
Views: 316
0 Coulda' - Shoulda' - Woulda' - Solenoid/Bendix?
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 1,459
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,949
Views: 1,017,051
0 R.I.P.Meat Loaf
Last Post: deguireb
Replies: 7
Views: 362
0 my motorcycle trailer (goes down flat, comes back up)
Last Post: adri
Replies: 3
Views: 136
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,870
Views: 1,369,051
0 Short in electrical system? Confused about points and ignition coil
Last Post: sungod
Replies: 20
Views: 630
0 1980 Shovelhead WideGlide
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 1
Views: 105
0 Speedometer
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 223
0 Primary thread
Last Post: RandallM
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 346
0 Another question re: Microsquirt
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 52
Views: 1,526
0 Your Riding Thoughts & Attitudes
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 1,571
0 weight loss thread
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 76
Views: 29,102
0 Dyno Test Results: W Cams versus D Cams
Last Post: Jonny48
Replies: 12
Views: 7,471
0 2022 Sportsters
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 26
Views: 1,591
0 VOES issues? Adjustments needed?
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Views: 135
0 LED Smoked Turn Signals (Arlen Ness & Custom Dynamics)
Last Post: cbzdel
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 42
0 Seeking info on IH drag bike
Last Post: wrkdWS6
Replies: 9
Views: 643
0 Video - Dyno Numbers are NOT What We Look For!
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 0
Views: 48
0 1995 Manual
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 176
More...
Members Birthdays
Reynoldston (81), showmebandit (68), Hoppy1313 (68), FredrikK (66), Toejam503 (66), YO MUDA (63), Altopass (62), tim 2007xl1200c (55), w9awx (49), 3xtrastout (43)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2021
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Kelley, you getting any riding in after the “great flood”?

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 17th November 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 CX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 1200 C
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Perplexing Problems

My bike is ill and Iím not sure what the problem is.

It started tapping on the way home from Canton. I figured it was a bad tappet (lifter) and I thought it was coming from the front cylinder. So I changed out both of the lifters, which turned out to be a royal PITA job. When I was done, I started the bike and it was quiet; the tapping was gone.

When I took the bike out the next day, the noise returned when the bike warmed up. My problem is that I canít determine whatís causing it. Rather than continuing to throw parts at the engine, I went to an independent shop yesterday and had them listen to it. The noise was evident, but the source is not. Even three people who work on Harleys for a living, using an electronic mechanicís stethoscope, were unable to positively identify the source of the ticking/knocking.

While I feel a bit better about my abilities as a mechanic,it still doesnít help me solve my problem. So; after talking with the shop owner, Iíve decided to change out the lifters for the rear cylinder. There are reasons for this decision; the noise was a little louder toward the back of the engine when they listened with the scope, and I still feel itís a lifter noise. Iím also going to spend a bit extra and change out the pushrod tubes for a set of old style tubes. That way, if I ever have to go back and change out another lifter, I wonít have to take the head off. Itíll be a bit more work to do that now, but it will save time in the future if I ever need to do it again. And itís the way the bike should have come from the factory. I want to make the Gentlemanís Express the Best Sportster it can be in spite of the bean counters.

One thing that was recommended was to install a set of Rocker Lockers. I hadnít heard of these before, but they make sense. If youíre mechanical and also havenít heard of them, go to:

https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/spo...-dk-rl-spt.htm

They may be snake oil, but they don't cost a lot. I think they wonít hurt anything and just might help.

So in a little while, Iíll head over to Cin City H-D and buy some gaskets and lifters. My pushrod tubes should be in this afternoon. I donít know how long itíll be to get the Rocker Lockers, but theyíll be going in towards the end of the job, so Iím not too worried.

I WILL get the Express running right. Itís looking really good, now I want it to be running really good.
Old 23rd November 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

The Hour of The Wolf

Iím wide awake and my head is racing. My bike is still making ugly noises, but I now have an idea of what the problem is.

Yesterday, I called Guido at the shop and had a detailed conversation with him. When I first told him about the noise, he said lifters. I told him that Iíd changed all four and he said, ďYouíre f**kedĒ. (Dondi told me that he really is a good friend if heís willing to talk like that to me.)

As I described when it was loudest and when it quieted down, he said itís piston slap; I was describing classic symptoms. That makes the most sense to me. If it was a rod bearing, it would be pretty constant. So I looked up parts on Ronnieís parts finder and saw that the MoFoCo offers piston and cylinder assemblies. So I guess Iíll be changing out both front and rear pistons and cylinders. I figure that if I change out just the front, itíll turn out to be the rear that was bad and vice versa. And if itís only one thatís bad, and I guess right, then the other piston will start making noise in short order and Iíll have to rip the bike down again.

The thing thatís preying on my mind this morning is why did the piston fail? The pistons should be good for at least 100,000 miles. My fear is that Iíll do the top end and the problem will resurface a few thousand miles down the road. Was it just a fluke or is there some underlying problem that caused the failure? If there is something that needs to be addressed, can I do it in my tiny 3/4 car garage, or will I have to find a shop that can fix it right? And how much will it cost? Well; Iíll give it a bit more thought; I want the Express to carry me to the Arctic Ocean and back without trouble. This has been my dream bike and I want it to be right.

Well; itís after three AM. I think Iíll put some Strauss on the Wave and let the Blue Danube carry me off to hopefully peaceful dreams.
Old 1st December 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Excitement!

My life isn’t boring; that’s a good thing. Every time it starts to get “Routine”, something happens to spark things up. Sometimes, I’m the cause; but most times it’s just the way my life is. To be fair; not all the exciting things are good things. Some of them have been pretty rough, but there have been many positive things that have happened, as well. You can’t have the one without the other.

Two days from this moment, I’ll be on a plane heading for Boston. I cut a deal with the shop. I’d say that I cut a deal with Guido; but his two kids, Sandra and Guy were also involved. I’m getting a 2006 XL 1200C. I’m flying into Logan Airport, taking subways and a bus to the shop, then I’ll be riding back to Cheviot.

It’s going to be a cold ride home; but I’m bringing my electric jacket liner and my thermal undies. I plan to take a couple of days, so it shouldn’t be too bad. My feeling is that if Dave Barr could ride a Sportster across Siberia in the winter, then I can ride from Boston to Cincinnati in December.

I informed Sandra of my itinerary, and she said that they would be getting pizza from the Bridge Cafe for lunch. I’m going to the land of Great Pizza once again, and I intend on eating my fill. I also plan to get a box of Kayem Natural Casing Franks and carry them back, as well. Since the temps are going to be on the cold side, they’ll last just fine.

Not only is my life not boring, but I’m extremely fortunate in having the friends that I do. I've already had one friend offer to give me a set of mid- controls for the bike, as well as a pair of stock mufflers, if the bike is too loud for me. I don’t like loud pipes on long rides. They ruin my ability to hear.

Another friend has offered to drive out to Cheviot with a trailer and haul me and the Express to his house, where we can tear down the Express and send the crank to Dark Horse Crankworks and get the crankshaft rebuilt with all first class components, and balanced and trued and welded the way it should come from the factory. The crank is a good design, it’s the bean counters who are saving a few cents here and there that are causing the problems, in my very strong opinion. I bet the parts that failed were made only with the most mediocre Chineseium components available. Their mindset is something like, “The average owner only puts a couple of thousand miles on the bike a year, so if the cranks fail at 20,000 miles, then that’s ten years from now and the warranty will have expired long ago. And we get to save $0.67 cents, Net! Besides; it’s only a starter bike; what they really want is a Big Twin Ultra!”

Other friends that I have do things like put me up whenever I’m in Massachusetts, or who’ll drive 100 miles just to give me a ride home from the hospital, or pay for my camping when I go to Georgia, or gave me a motorcycle when I was recovering from having my ankle crushed, or sent me a laptop without warning, or make brackets for my motorcycles, or… I could go on a lot longer.

I’m extremely fortunate to have such people in my life. I really do have a Blessed life.

And I’m getting another motorcycle!
Old 1st December 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 2004 XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: SOLD
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2000 X-1 lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: SOLD
Other Motorcycle Model: XB1200XT "Uly"
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
sprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it's working out! Safe travels.
Old 1st December 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like another happy ending! Ride on Crusty!
Old 1st December 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: KLR 650
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
spoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant future

And pray tell how did a bad crank come into the picture? Did I (we) miss something?
Old 1st December 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Steve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond repute

"And I’m getting another motorcycle!"

Blessed
'01 Cyclone
'13 FXDC 96" stock
Old 1st December 2021
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon View Post
And pray tell how did a bad crank come into the picture? Did I (we) miss something?
+1 How did we go from piston slap to needing a crank?
Is it torn down or is this just speculation?
Old 1st December 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I pulled the top end off and the front rod moves like a joystick. I can also feel the big end bearings and they feel crunchy when the rod moves from side to side in an arc.

The previous Snippet was written a week ago. A lot happened during that week, including me tearing the engine down. I just wasn't up for sharing a lot and had no desire to write a Snippet about what was happening.

Now; things are happening so fast that I can't keep up with it all.