The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Dear Harley-Davidson Inc.
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Dear Harley-Davidson Inc. Here is where you can post a message to Harley-Davidson. Please do not expect answers. This is only meant as a place where the Motor Company can view issues that their customers have.

Active Threads
0 Another question re: Microsquirt
Last Post: gl90hog
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 388
0 North central Mass
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 145
0 NOS cases
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 135
0 Ironhead engine problem?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 271
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 25,432
Views: 1,487,969
0 a definitive sportster chain conversion pros and cons list
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 306
0 XL Bomber - Portuguese project
Last Post: Akeemking
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 163
Views: 62,552
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Buells)
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 14,981
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (XRs)
Views: 9,736
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (EFIs)
Views: 81,802
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Rubber Mounts)
Views: 49,987
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 86,805
0 900 clutch in a 1000 engine Strociek
Last Post: DR DICK
Replies: 8
Views: 295
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Replies: 10
Views: 287,705
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Replies: 0
Views: 32
0 Strociek Project Help Needed
Last Post: DR DICK
Replies: 25
Views: 977
0 BEWARE Of SCAMMERS!
Views: 41
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,944
Views: 3,867,536
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 52,433
Views: 8,842,858
0 Showa 54000088 Shocks
Last Post: d10221
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 33
0 1100 bathtub heads on a 883?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Views: 84
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,128
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 75
Views: 14,115
0 1968 ex barn dweller thread
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 204
Views: 20,714
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,808
Views: 952,839
0 Setting Timing, 1964 & Earlier Mag
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 16,263
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 300
Views: 57,274
0 XR1000 black and orange pics?
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Replies: 6
Views: 453
0 my sunday driver...
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Replies: 132
Views: 26,378
0 XR1000 Pushrod Tube Leaks
Last Post: KRTTXRTT
Views: 424
More...
Members Birthdays
excel50 (80), blazer95 (71), mycle1000, Barryn37 (60), QBALL (60), paulieb (59), cfranz (48), BMXATV (47), ravyn3 (42), Texas_Wild, hillpope (39)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: A Hawg
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
jamman is a jewel in the roughjamman is a jewel in the roughjamman is a jewel in the roughjamman is a jewel in the roughjamman is a jewel in the roughjamman is a jewel in the roughjamman is a jewel in the roughjamman is a jewel in the roughjamman is a jewel in the roughjamman is a jewel in the roughjamman is a jewel in the rough

Ok I got bored with this dead horse. Barely made it through the first page. I think your japasuki just sprung a leak...
Old 4th January 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 (traded)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC Super Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Gary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the roughGary7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAS5 View Post
Have you ever heard of the Nova project?

http://www.bikerenews.com/AntiqueBikes/CodeNameNova.htm

That was basically the grandfather of the V-max in the late 1970's. It had 135 hp, which was very performance oriented. It was never released, but if it was then Harley may have bankrupt due to a lack of sales.
It looks to me like the V-Rod engine was derived from this Nova powerplant.
Old 4th January 2007
Harley Engineer

DarkStar883 has disabled reputation

Thanks for the links... It does look like there was an intent to flood the market by the import makers during the early 80's and I stand corrected. I don't recall it being discussed at the time but it does indeed appear that it was happening, thankyou for the correction.

I do think we're all at about the same place on this whole topic. Like you I dislike the import attempts to copy successful design as much as I dislike HD's merchandising. I don't blame anyone for building what sells and I understand the reality of consumerism and a profit driven system but we end up seeing the manufacturers chase their tails and only rarely drop something new on us... and that's too bad for all motorcyclists. Better the manufacturers do what they do best, build their unique bikes instead of copying designs or selling beef jerky but I realize that's the fantasy.

I do indeed remember the Nova Project... Rider magazine had journalists staking out different HD test areas with long range telephoto lenses to try and get a picture. Harley had covered the entire engine area of the bike in large pieces of steel to keep the secret design from being seen. The pictures in Rider magazine were grainy and fuzzy but you could catch glimpses of the water jacket and I remember thinking HD was on the way back from the brink.

I think the poor sales of the V-Rod are a fault of dealers as well as the customer base. Atleast in my experience I don't think the dealers care for it and make it obvious. If my local HD dealer hadn't treated the V-Rod on his floor like such a bastard stepchild and try and steer me into a Softail I might have really considered it. Instead I ended up with a V-Max a short time later...

"Most people are not ready to be unplugged, they are so hopelessly dependent on the system that they would fight to protect it..." - Morpheus, The Matrix
Old 5th January 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Mustang GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
XL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Ok I got bored with this dead horse. Barely made it through the first page. I think your japasuki just sprung a leak...
This thread got boring real quick.
Old 5th January 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: Electraglide classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Y2K has disabled reputation

I for one prefer the simplicity of the air cooled pushrod hydraulic lifter engine for it's ease of maintainence,they are so simple a top end overhaul can be considered maintainence.
100K miles can be had out of a Harley engine with a little care before a top end job is needed and then the job is so simple the average Joe can do it at home.
By contrast a 4 or 6 cylinder,multi carb, multivalve engine with water cooling may make more power but is much more complicated to work on and most require valve adjustment every 5K -10K and over time can become more costly to maintain and repair than to replace.
There's a reason the scrap yards are full of unwrecked 10-20 year old jap bikes but there are still lots of 10-20-30-40-50 year old and older Harleys still running around.
I have over 120,000 miles on my Harley and it's been quite reliable , I fully expect to double that with ease and still have a running machine worth keeping.
It may not be as fast as a Goldwing but it's fast enough,handles well enough and it may not go as many miles without a top end job but but a fresh top end is easier to do than a valve adjust on the Honda.
Once that high tech wonder does get tired it's days are numbered do to the expense of repair.
The big jap bikes have their merits but so do the Harleys,they are just different.
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 5th January 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Gone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogbark View Post
I believe the engineers at HD need to take a trip/ride on some Honda's, Kaws, and Yamaha's. They will find many ideas that are better then HD offer. I like water-cool engines, low maintenance rides, better suspension and so on.
I am not saying that HD should copy Japan but to learn from them and improve on it. Just looking at them you will see that they looked at HD and improved on it. Where they came up short is keeping models in production.
Good luck to HD but really is the 95 incher an improvement or just an EPA band-aid?
As a side note I was a holder of HD stock but I am seriously considering shorting it due to some of your marketing ideas. Go talk to builders, Honda, Yamaha and others.
Let's see: The watercooled, plain-bearing crankshaft, double overhead cammed, 9,000 rpm, 11 second 1/4 mile V-Rod isn't a move forward? The Buells are not innovative chassis concepts put to real production? How much more low maintenance do you want than belt drive, EFI, and hydraulic lifters? And the new BT engine is a 96". H-D is running a tight-rope beteen EPA and what traditional H-D consumers want. H-D doesn't need to look to the Japs for innovation. YOU need to look at the whole H-D line in better detail.
Old 5th January 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Chopped XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1967
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 Road King Classic
wagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the rough

I think HD knows their customer preeeettttty well. Except for the V-Rod experiment. Those V-Rods sell like Hot Cakes now don't they.
Old 5th January 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Gone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud ofGone has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocndaf View Post
The last time I looked all of the Jap manufactures had 200 mph racing bikes for sale on their showroom floor. They are not what most of the motorcycle buying public wants. I can understand what you want but all of these companies answer to the sales numbers and the stock price. Even if Harley Davidson had failed in the 80s someone would have filled the vacancy and would be manufacturing what the public wants. At the time of tariffs Yamaha was well on the way with their Virago line of bikes. The Star line is the result of this line of bikes. The only thing these publicly traded companies are conserned about is stock price and profit. You will only get the developments that the rest of the sheep want.
As stated, all of the Jap bikes have hyper-sports machines for sale. While not what the "majority" of consumers want, the sales are significant enough that these bikes require complete design overhauls about every five years to remain competitive in sales and performance - and it takes substantial demand for these bikes to offer Formula I type performance for only $8,000-$15,000. If they only sold a handfull, these machines would be $30,000 a crack.
Old 5th January 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary7 View Post
It looks to me like the V-Rod engine was derived from this Nova powerplant.

The basic V-Rod design came from the VR-1000 road-race bike. They raced, learned, made necessary marketing changes, and put it into production.
Old 5th January 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Drew1200c will become famous soon enoughDrew1200c will become famous soon enoughDrew1200c will become famous soon enoughDrew1200c will become famous soon enoughDrew1200c will become famous soon enoughDrew1200c will become famous soon enough

4 valves 2cylinder simple air-cooled design works pretty well, it takes 4cylinders 16valves bunch of carbs water cooled and a lot of plastic to smoke you on a few bike lengths. face it most of of us drive on roads not race tracks, so low end power is what you use most. the Sportster looks good sounds good got good low end, I got foward contorls and don,t have to hug a gas tank with the back of my shirt flying up over my head. works for me, anyway.