The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 Gave up and made a bigger fuel tank (see pic)
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 239
0 I guess I'm back
Last Post: gravydog
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 591
0 Peak Prices on Our Passion ?
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 292
0 Tools to Lend Out to Forum Members
Last Post: Evil Wayz
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Views: 3,415
0 1991 frame/engine original ground locations
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 165
0 .551 Cams in an EFI 1200
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 55
Views: 1,884
0 sproket issues
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 63
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,731
Views: 852,800
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 44,059
Views: 6,896,352
0 2019 East Coast Meet and Greet
Last Post: beeman07
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 321
Views: 35,382
0 ***DK Custom-Improved Front Suspension w/ Intiminator Fork Valves***
Last Post: Jollly Rogers
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 686
0 will not start
Last Post: 01rk
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 643
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,877
Views: 282,626
0 Parrothead and the 2019 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 29
Views: 877
0 Jockey Shifter on a Right Side Shift Bike?
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Replies: 45
Views: 15,180
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 11,710
Views: 1,052,196
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 7,673
Views: 1,502,541
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 1,865
Views: 156,916
0 Stator wire hot!
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 542
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 507
0 Stock air cleaner box modifications
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 293
Views: 182,677
0 Wet sumping?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 88
Views: 3,114
6 Blast Project (and will be needing help most likely)
Last Post: Hornsmith
Replies: 24
Views: 522
10 New to the HD world, Ironhrad vs Shovel, whats the diff
Last Post: A Seabee
Replies: 29
Views: 631
0 72 XLH1000 Wiring Kit
Last Post: brianbbs67
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 188
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: A Seabee
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,113
Views: 471,664
0 Some oil issues!
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 467
5 How do you Wash your Bike?
Last Post: xElvis
Replies: 19
Views: 424
0 Mystery drip off rear brake cylinder
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 5
Views: 97
0 Calling all "Long Frame" riders...
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 322
More...
Members Birthdays
NedNimrod, jduffy01, AlanT (71), jzink0883 (70), LVBOATDOC (67), glef (62), Dogsbd (57), wmbettsjr (43), darkcustom (42), jon8641 (35)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th September 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

I read every page in the link you provided and my hat is off to you. There are several things that impressed me. I like the fact that you shopped around and tried to get value instead of just throwing money at it. I loved the fact that you had the balls to make things instead of just buying things. in my opinion it takes courage to try to make things that you have never made before. I recommend folks read about your build in the link you provided. There are some great ideas and there is a lot for folks to learn in that thread. Nice job Matt. Steve
Old 8th September 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Don Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond repute

Well said, Steve.
Old 8th September 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tobiism has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru View Post
I read every page in the link you provided and my hat is off to you. There are several things that impressed me. I like the fact that you shopped around and tried to get value instead of just throwing money at it. I loved the fact that you had the balls to make things instead of just buying things. in my opinion it takes courage to try to make things that you have never made before. I recommend folks read about your build in the link you provided. There are some great ideas and there is a lot for folks to learn in that thread. Nice job Matt. Steve
Wow Steve, thanks! I do appreciate it. I've always loved fabrication and try to make everything I possibly can. I know my wife appreciates it as far as the checkbook is concerned!
Old 18th March 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
tattooglisha is a name known to alltattooglisha is a name known to alltattooglisha is a name known to alltattooglisha is a name known to alltattooglisha is a name known to alltattooglisha is a name known to alltattooglisha is a name known to alltattooglisha is a name known to alltattooglisha is a name known to alltattooglisha is a name known to alltattooglisha is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiism View Post
Wow Steve, thanks! I do appreciate it. I've always loved fabrication and try to make everything I possibly can. I know my wife appreciates it as far as the checkbook is concerned!
How does it perform pls??.
Old 18th March 2019
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

tobiism, you did well there for $26!. They are a fine carb and maru is right about the throttle return.
Good idea to ditch the cheese crosshead screws that aways strip. I use cap heads and alway use a
little loctite 222 to gently seal the threads from corrosion. I would suggest fitting a new float needle
as they tend to harden.

I was lucky that my venerable Sportster came with a Mikuni mounted on a Branch manifold.
it's been very reliable.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was lucky that my venerable Sportster came with a Mikuni mounted on a Branch manifold. it's been very reliable.
Dang, why did I type that. I have a developing issue with my HS40 throttle not closing fully on the over-run. Sometimes, it sticks slightly
open which is not much fun (choke off). If I press the throttle return lever it clicks and the revs immediately drop to a normal tick-over.
Cables have less than 1K miles; I have lubed them; the throttle return spring is on the strongest position. Everything seems clean and correctly adjusted.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Check your throttle grip assembly. When changing throttle cables or handlebars, sometimes the throttle grip gets pushed on too far. There needs to be at least 1/8" between the end of the handlebar and the bottom of the inside of the grip, otherwise the grip catches and can drag or get stuck.

Last edited by Toejam503; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:40.. Reason: explaination
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Just a note on those screws stripping so easily....they are Japanese and while they look like our “Phillips” screws they are in fact “J.I,S.” Screws, very similar but slightly different angles. The proper screwdriver and no more stripping heads. That being said I do prefer sockethead screws.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Sponsored Links
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks Toejam. I have had the throttle assemble apart almost daily and checked that all is clean and there is plenty of clearance.
Double checked the new throttle cables but I cannot find anything wrong with them. I have relieved the throttle sleeve slightly
where it grips the ferules. Tried the cable adjustment to increase free play. All to no avail - so far. I am obviously missing something.
Sigh!

Could it be the throttle slide mechanism? The carb has about 15K on it.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds almost like my SU carb that the big piston slider would stick and kill the motor unless you loosened the plastic top screw on cap on top of the slider bowl cover. I blamed it on old age of part.

It was a intermittent problem also but I handled it as is.