The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Dale's Killer 40mm CV Carb
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 639
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,498
Views: 549,764
0 Every last drop of HP from a 1200ci.
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 72
0 timing sympstoms
Last Post: rickthrash99
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 279
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,049
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: bimbo
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,860
Views: 278,422
0 Installing New Tappet Rollers
Last Post: Peteroo
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Views: 233
0 Hello Everybody
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 20
0 Wheel Bearing Question
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 116
0 Intermittent silence when hitting starter?
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 82
Views: 3,516
0 Harley k model question
Last Post: Tator
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 11
0 No working taillight, but bike still runs? Schematic included.
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 149
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: BWP 5p
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 42,190
Views: 6,539,450
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: kkbii
Replies: 136
Views: 9,256
8 Crankshaft Failure
Last Post: texas
Replies: 106
Views: 43,965
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 215
Views: 25,107
0 ***DK Custom-Chrome ISO Footpegs-Rubber Cushioned w/ Heel Rest***
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 0
Views: 7
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: Serious Blac
Replies: 117
Views: 7,341
0 New Member, New Build with pics, and some questions
Last Post: dsw919
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 1,145
0 Kr krtt xlr-tt xr...
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 107
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 833
Views: 77,300
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,130
Views: 750,092
0 Hello From Los Angeles
Last Post: oreocat1
Replies: 9
Views: 122
14 Where do you store your Sportster over the winter?
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 74
Views: 4,797
5 popping in and out of first gear
Last Post: canoli
Replies: 159
Views: 63,031
0 Iree's jukbox joint
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,903
Views: 283,521
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: 83xls
Replies: 437
Views: 55,782
0 ***DK Custom - DIY Head Breather System-Touring-Softail-Dyna-Sportster***
Views: 669
0 ***DK Custom Products- Gift Cards- Give Them What They Want***
Replies: 5
Views: 737
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2018
Senior Chief Know It All

11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all11B40 is a name known to all

"I’ll definitely be doing the reinforcement of the trans corner with the ring you refer to. I don’t want to blow it up when the going gets tough!"

Don't be surprised to find that there is already a small crack present. There was in mine and it was only about 5 years old when I did the mod. After epoxying the hardened ring on, it could be power shifted @6K over and over and held perfectly. It is amazing to me that some people don't do this. I've seen Sportsters saw the cases in half when the case let go. When I was riding you could still buy new cases from HD or send them down to the guy in Fremont who would weld them back together. Not anymore.
Old 28th May 2018
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1967
Keithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B40 View Post
Don't be surprised to find that there is already a small crack present. There was in mine and it was only about 5 years old when I did the mod. After epoxying the hardened ring on, it could be power shifted @6K over and over and held perfectly. It is amazing to me that some people don't do this. I've seen Sportsters saw the cases in half when the case let go. When I was riding you could still buy new cases from HD or send them down to the guy in Fremont who would weld them back together. Not anymore.

I’m very curious as to the condition given how common these issues are. I think the 67 up were maybe a little stronger from some reading on here but either way I’ll do the modification. I could weld it up too I guess but the ring sounds like a nice neat solution with minimal fuss and I’m no gun cast alloy welder so not sure how hard it would be to avoid distortion issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 28th May 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1959
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sprint 350
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi Ambassador
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
Chuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Piston weights

I'm happy with a 3 gram spread. 1 is outstanding, and a little surprising for out of box pistons.

What is your total weight, pin, clips, rings, etc. just curious.
Old 28th May 2018
Greasemonkey

Keithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the roughKeithybloodygeorge is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckthebeatertruck View Post
I'm happy with a 3 gram spread. 1 is outstanding, and a little surprising for out of box pistons.

I don't have all the parts in hand yet Chuck but I'll weigh them all when the rings come in

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 28th May 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I’m very curious as to the condition given how common these issues are.
Very, very common. The fix by HD wasn't until they dropped the tranny speedo drive. If you look at that section of the case and compare it to the 73 up you can see exactly what a bad idea that speedo gear placement was.
And alloy isn't steel. Over time between the heat cycles and vibrations it just gets weaker.

I tried the ceramic coating on pistons one time years ago. I can't give you any kind of definitive answer as I holed a piston in the first race, before I had enough time to get a grip on it's usefulness. (Holing the piston was totally my fault changing the timing in the pits by ear with a new electronic ignition system.)
I went over to Methanol after that and haven't bothered since.

The worst thing about all of this is you have to get everything right. At one time. Engines are like chains, weak links. They break and the whole plot gets dropped into the sea. Painful when you just spent a fortune on your shiny new anchor.
Old 29th May 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of
Default Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B40 View Post
"I’ll definitely be doing the reinforcement of the trans corner with the ring you refer to. I don’t want to blow it up when the going gets tough!"

... Was the Guy in Freemont Donny Rich? ( Rich Products )
Old 29th May 2018
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
Very, very common. The fix by HD wasn't until they dropped the tranny speedo drive. If you look at that section of the case and compare it to the 73 up you can see exactly what a bad idea that speedo gear placement was.
And alloy isn't steel. Over time between the heat cycles and vibrations it just gets weaker.

I tried the ceramic coating on pistons one time years ago. I can't give you any kind of definitive answer as I holed a piston in the first race, before I had enough time to get a grip on it's usefulness. (Holing the piston was totally my fault changing the timing in the pits by ear with a new electronic ignition system.)
I went over to Methanol after that and haven't bothered since.

The worst thing about all of this is you have to get everything right. At one time. Engines are like chains, weak links. They break and the whole plot gets dropped into the sea. Painful when you just spent a fortune on your shiny new anchor.
You're making me nervous here Ferrous! Hopefully I can avoid any similar issues 🤞

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 31st May 2018
Greasemonkey

Not a great shot but hopefully my basic head port clean up from a while back is enough to flow a little better when this stroker setup goes in in a few months time

Old 1st June 2018
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckthebeatertruck View Post

Hey chuck I’ve ended up at 466 and 467 grams total for each piston, rings, pin and clips. Scales are only accurate to 0.5 at this weight so could probably be more accurate but I’m guessing they aren’t gonna stray too much

Old 1st June 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1959
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sprint 350
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi Ambassador
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
Chuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond reputeChuckthebeatertruck has a reputation beyond repute

Um, that is a fantastic weight spread out of the box. I'd go buy a lottery ticket.

Mine were considerably off!