The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,865
Views: 1,280,832
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,362
Views: 196,694
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: mickey t
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 74
Views: 1,997
5 What Color Helmet is Most Noticable?
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 8,645
0 DK Custom 3" Velocity Stack
Last Post: mesalkn
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 439
0 battery drain
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 3
Views: 52
0 67 to 70 cam cover and sprocket cover.
Last Post: gpydeski
Replies: 2
Views: 55
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 3,928
Views: 766,042
0 hello and help!
Last Post: smokey 2
Replies: 16
Views: 464
0 newbie
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 12
Views: 71
0 Sportster runs only on choke
Last Post: harley506d
Views: 39
0 Compression Tester Differences
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 619
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 7,763
Views: 1,548,955
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Last Post: koolbreeze
Replies: 576
Views: 75,242
0 HAMMERING the Columbia!
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 10,581
0 Help with my 2007 883R and Cobra 909 exhaust
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 37
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,555
Views: 272,082
0 Ignition coil rating ?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 1
Views: 52
0 Headlight - What are you using ? - '74 XLH
Last Post: ryder rick
Views: 59
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: kkbii
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,405
Views: 312,299
0 Happy Birthday Joebobber
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 200
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 378
0 Breather in cam cover 1985
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 177
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Bow only
Replies: 6,349
Views: 816,180
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 124
Views: 30,333
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 1,202
Views: 324,636
0 New to us
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 147
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,937
Views: 755,426
11 Ss carburetor
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 111
More...
Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (72), cartoad2001 (70), Dirty Ernie (64), ncpickman (58), bri1200c (56), pquirk (53), GOTWA (50), gremlinsteve (50), lbowles2 (48), Guess (40), rnaway22es, landon283 (31)
Tags
cylinder, heads, ironhead, xlch

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2017
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 74
Slojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to allSlojoe55 is a name known to all

What's stock valve size on a set of 74 heads

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 6th August 2017
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slojoe55 View Post
What's stock valve size on a set of 74 heads
This post from Dr. Dick covers it all.

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...08&postcount=7
Old 6th August 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
JonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of tidbits I learned from an old engine builder;

First; If you look into the intake port you'll notice a slight rise in one section of the passage. I think it's the valve pocket side but when you look into the intake port, it's pretty evident.
DO NOT grind that down flush with the rest of the passage. It's there to help with air flow and fuel/air mixing. Smoothing the passage there can make performance plummet.

Second; Bigger isn't better. You can get intake valves that are so big that air flow/velocity in the area around them drops off and intake mixes around them just kinda fall into the hole when the valve opens instead of being carried in as with higher flows.
One study showed that performance increased when the intake valve size was reduced and the ports closed up slightly.
Old 6th August 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked down the intake ports of some amazing heads. Ducati's done by Syd Tunstall, Norton's done by Jeff Clatworthy and my own Baisley heads.

What that told me was I can't see the magic. I know it's there because I see the results.

I know the theory, the port velocities, nozzle effects, tapered ports, valve to intake port sizes, 5 angle valve jobs narrowed and shaped guide bosses, shorter guides, on and on.

Cast iron is really hard metal to shape. Well, compared to alloy at any rate. Even so, I suspect I could ruin a good set of heads in under an hour.

But I decided it was smarter to just leave it to the experts.

I pay my Doctor. I pay my Dentist. In fact, any expert who has spent thousands of hours to acquire knowledge and skills that I don't have - I pay them for their expertise.
Would I LIKE to be able to port my own heads as well as those guys ? Sure, but I'm not willing to invest the time and money they have to get there.

Spend your time and effort on building a reliable engine that will get you home (or to the finish line) first.

An extra 10 HP will not improve your chances against any 600 CC Sport bike out there.
Old 8th August 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold11B40 is a splendid one to behold

The average Joe smokem has no flow bench and what a good intention modification might do is in doubt.
"An extra 10 HP will not improve your chances against any 600 CC Sport bike out there"
Amen. I remember the first time I grudge raced a Kawa triple. It was at Fremont Drag Strip and this $900 out the door chain saw dead stock planted a 12 second pass on me I wasn't laughing at it anymore. Now the Honda/Suzuki/Kawas really go good. It takes a stroker to play that game and regardless, you still have no chance really if the guy can ride.
Old 8th August 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of
Default 900 bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenIron View Post
Yea that's kinda what I gathered, oh well.
I don't need to have a race bike, but it just seemed so gutless that I want to give it a boost. Now granted, I think a lot of my power loss was from other things. My Indy described some issues that I can't for the life of me recite. But it made sense.
In your opinion, what are things that could rob power from an old 900, other than the fact it's an old 900?
Basic stuff.. any ideas?
--- so Image that same Motorcycle weighing 75-90 lbs Less.. Can it be done ? Yes ...
Sponsored Links
Old 15th August 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

DR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond reputeDR DICK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom9r View Post
1970 cylinder heads do not need ( or want ) porting for a stock displacement motor.
ta da!