The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 357
0 Breather in cam cover 1985
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 129
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,404
Views: 312,248
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Bow only
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,349
Views: 816,138
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 124
Views: 30,322
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: 83XLX
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,202
Views: 324,593
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,857
Views: 1,280,450
0 New to us
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 115
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3,937
Views: 754,845
0 hello and help!
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 328
11 Ss carburetor
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 75
0 Battery Voltage Question
Last Post: canoli
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 99
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 44,986
Views: 7,086,276
0 Happy Birthday Crusty!!!
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 92
0 My 1250 to 1275 build
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 148
Views: 9,169
0 Compression Tester Differences
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 494
0 An Ohio Meet 'N' Eat
Last Post: Jcolleyoh
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 801
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: hhugger
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,924
Views: 765,964
0 2001 motor in 1987 frame?
Last Post: Jason's Sporty
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 173
0 Dry clutch to wet clutch
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 84
0 1969 Sportster 50th Anniversary T-Shirts
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 90
0 74 XLH disk brake lower anchor pin
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 441
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: mickey t
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 73
Views: 1,984
0 Best seat for short rider?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 972
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 64
Views: 236,370
0 Stock mufflers on V&H head pipes?
Last Post: 84cj
Replies: 3
Views: 53
0 xlh 1000 1972 first project
Last Post: Zari
Replies: 15
Views: 913
0 Kickstarter bushing
Last Post: TalksToToads
Replies: 9
Views: 397
0 is a buell a harley
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 157
Views: 17,011
More...
Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (72), cartoad2001 (70), Dirty Ernie (64), ncpickman (58), bri1200c (56), pquirk (53), GOTWA (50), gremlinsteve (50), lbowles2 (48), Guess (40), rnaway22es, landon283 (31)
Tags
cylinder, ironhead, pistons, sportster

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2018
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Try https://imgbb.com/ for hosting images

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 28th August 2018
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
shooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to behold

Am I wrong here,and if I am somebody here tell me,who has the experience,...if you holed your piston,the aluminum did not just disappear,it went somewhere right? And I am thinking into the surrounding engine ,granted,aluminum is soft but still equates to abrasive material ..follow me? Unfortunately,to my way of thinking,your engine should be torn down and everything cleaned and flushed,before the aluminum residue does bad things in the bearings and such,mind you I am not a excellent mechanic but I did remove my tranny to clean it because of a broken tensioner spring,and years ago had an issue with a cylinder where I cleaned it up ,repaired the damage,flushed it and later lost the lowere end to what I think was residue from the first damage,if I am wrong can someone say?
Old 28th August 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

you're not wrong.the member that posted before you has a picture of something similar.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 30th August 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Gold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenIron View Post
A little backstory on what I've been through in the last 6 months with this bike..hell..
I got it back from having the cases repaired probably 3 months ago, it was in the shop for 3 months just to do the cases (line boring), cylinders and pistons..
When I got it back, everything went to shit on me. Starter clutch / bendix went out, primary chain tensioner issues, finally ended up buying a new chain without the figure 8 links, new tensioner, etc.
Then the battery went, new battery.
Then after numerous little things I moved on to the carb. Never able to ride more than around the block because of constant lean issues.
Was running drags until a 65 year old neighbor decided he wanted to come over and yell at me for riding through my own neighborhood...so I told him if he came over again I was going to punch him square in the middle of his face..moving on..
So I took off the drag pipes, as I'm running an S&S e, and we all know that's a bad combo. So I put on the other pipes I got when I bought the bike. Not stock, but have mufflers. Maybe stock for a newer year? No crossover pipe so I don't know?
I changed the float level and finally got it to stop running lean.
Btw. When I took off drags, I took it to my indie and had him time the bike. He's a very reputable shop in my area.
It ran much better, but not perfect. My bike has always had a power issue. I have a stock Yamaha Xs650 that is so much faster than the Harley it's unbelievable. That's the only gauge I have.
So I went down in jet sizes, even the air bleed jet (went up on that one), until I found what seemed to work best at this point. 28/68
It was still feeling rich/ but if I leaned it out, it would pop through the exhaust like a son of a bitch. I know, ass backwards huh? Welcome to my nightmare with this bike.
Intake leak, minor if at all. I wouldn't have though I could smoke a piston. But again, I could kick myself for giving a shit about the cars behind me, I was going to damn fast. However for only 20/40 minutes, and the bike was running great up until the point it just quietly died.
This bike has been a saga, one dramatic thing after another.
However, I have literally taught myself how to repair nearly every aspect of this little motor. So it is what it is. I'm stubborn and don't ever give up. I'm in the garage every day working on this.
Right before the "occurrence ", I put in new rocker gaskets, lapped the valves, cleaned up the ports, evened up the edges around the valve grind lips, and just cleaned it all up. It was running great....
Until it wasn't....
The E goes on different bikes but the manifolds I believe may be different...check to make sure you have an ironhead manifold if you fear you may have an air leak...I have to do the same i am no pundit on IH's believe me...the XS650 and IH have about identical factory numbers for the 1/4 mile, the XS should not be that much faster I woulnd't think...agina I'm not an expert

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." - Ferris Bueller

"Put an end once and for all to this discussion of what a good person should be, and be one."
- Marcus Aurelius
Old 30th August 2018
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Gold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenIron View Post
This is the one thing plaguing me.
It's tiny, the piece.. I'm very new to this so forgive my ignorance, but I looked through the bottom end, the limited amount I was able through the flywheels, and didn't see anything, stuck a magnet down there, and drained oil. No shavings or anything.
Is it even remotely possible it flew out the exhaust valve? Or does it not work like that? Because I swear to a peanut butter sandwich, if I have to split cases, I fkn quit. I've literally broke my back in the last several months on this bike. Not tearing down the lower end again. Really don't want to. So give me hope please!!
Hopefully it just vaporized and there's no droplets down in there. One way to tell for sure though...