The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Buell Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Need help with S&S GB carb
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 164
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 3,934
0 7” Headlight conversion on solid mount
Last Post: sml1226
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 85
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 3,917
0 Do you have the service manual?
Last Post: Traxx
Replies: 751
Views: 193,720
14 98 just upgraded to 1250 from 1200
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 7
Views: 111
0 ,09 Iron883N idling weird, sputters on accelerating from idle or low revs.
Last Post: tussuck
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 376
0 Show us your Bike next to a Bridge
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 709
Views: 138,199
0 Show your bike next to an abandoned building
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 11,568
14 Post your Bike in a Cemetary Pic
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 351
Views: 62,600
0 New from Washington
Last Post: DBH
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 108
0 Rush or Khromewerks slip ons?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 769
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,702
Views: 1,262,703
8 Never Forget
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,079
0 Sportster front wheel/tire sizes
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 199
0 trans slips in 2nd gear 1989 883
Last Post: sglock45
Replies: 22
Views: 1,081
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 892
Views: 80,607
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 3,895
Views: 763,568
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 2,552
Views: 269,888
0 Carb flooding
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 18
Views: 509
0 question about XLCH manuals
Last Post: brucstoudt
Views: 226
0 2019 York Bike Week (9/18-21)
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 2
Views: 231
0 Chain kit
Last Post: wrkdWS6
Replies: 15
Views: 339
0 dual carb heads on ebay
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 438
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 10,249
Views: 1,751,870
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 1,297
Views: 161,187
0 Shoei GT-Air II FF Helmet Review
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 92
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 10,875
Views: 892,865
0 2011 Nightster--First Impressions
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 12
Views: 553
0 Bad Primary Oil Leak
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 304
More...
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2008
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 882/1200-stold
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 08' 1125r sold
Other Motorcycle Model: 10' custom 1200 bobber
jmr1283 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
Small shots of nitrous, say 50hp and less, for relatively short periods of time, like drag racing, don't really require a reduction in compression. Just make sure it's jetted rich enough and you take out some timing. There are ignitions available that will retard the timing when you're on the button.
alright good. now for a another ?, You would though still have to set ur ring gaps, for nitrous. how much % wise of horsepower would u lose while not on the juice? if im wrong please correct me, but isnt it like 3%.

What you're trading off with 15 degree versus 30 degree is squish area vs. dome height. To get enough squish area at 30 degrees to make a real good chamber, you have to raise the dome height a lot. Well, that tends to raise compression. So most of the time, we do 30 degree on race motors and 15 on street motors.

The caveat here is that many aftermarket heads have a fair bit more volume. And you're going for 11 to 11.5:1 anyway. So you may well be able to get a 30 degree in there at a streetable CR and with a good surface area. Depends on the heads.

xb heads

Personally, I would cut them at 15 and make the measurements and run the numbers and then decide.

Well nrhs is gonna have them soon. The only problem is i have 15 pistons already. so if its not gonna do much for me(curbin detenation) id rather stick to the 15's. but if theres a lot of gain. then ill have to.

That's an excellent cylinder, I've used them on multiple builds (Axtell sells the same casting, but they do the machine work and put their name on it). I'd run'em. If you were doing a full-on race motor then yeah, a full cast iron would be better. But that cylinder will work fine on a street bike.
Dan told me the same thing actually. i just wonder longevity.but both u and dan say go with them. that means i go with them.
great stuff aaron. with ur help this motor is gonna rip. oh and any preferred nitrous system.
Old 1st July 2008
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about slightly larger ring gaps costing you power off the bottle. You may get an additional 1 or 2% on your leakdown tester but I'd be real surprised if you can actually find that on the dyno.

What pistons are we talking about here? The 3-13/16 bore Hurricanes that are 15 degrees all the way to the edge and dished in the middle? I can't really tell you if they can be made to work at 99" under an XB head at 11.5:1, without understanding the dome volume. I can tell you that with a motor that size, and a head that starts out with a chamber that small, it's not a given that you can make that work. But if you know about the dome, we can work it out and I can tell you.

If you don't know the dome volume, you (or NRHS) can measure the 1" down volume. Simply pack some wheel bearing grease around the top ring (leave the second and oil rings off), put the piston in the bore 1" down (to the base of the dome), and fill it from a burrette. You can then do the calculations with my CR calculator ... http://www.nrhsperformance.com/nrhscalculator.shtml ... and figure out what chamber volume you need to get to your target CR. An XB head at 3-13/16 bore and big valves can be done anywhere from about 70cc to 80cc, getting outside that range is tough.
Old 2nd July 2008
Harley Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
I wouldn't worry about slightly larger ring gaps costing you power off the bottle. You may get an additional 1 or 2% on your leakdown tester but I'd be real surprised if you can actually find that on the dyno.

good stuff, glad to know. So lets say if i dont end up using nitrous rate away, and say never use it. but want to be prepared. and be able to. what would u suggest. set it up, just in case(sinse its not gonna do anything to power or longevity) or make a decision either way. this bike will be more street then strip(suspension, etc) so if im at 130 hp and shot the nitrous then im at say 170hp whats that gonna do with street/strip tires. is it worth the money if im not gonna be able to use it. decisions decisions

What pistons are we talking about here? The 3-13/16 bore Hurricanes that are 15 degrees all the way to the edge and dished in the middle? I can't really tell you if they can be made to work at 99" under an XB head at 11.5:1, without understanding the dome volume. I can tell you that with a motor that size, and a head that starts out with a chamber that small, it's not a given that you can make that work. But if you know about the dome, we can work it out and I can tell you.

i can give u the parts # from zippers,
9662ps
zippers h-d dish dome-.095"
0122230/01 s572/w731 ,or

part # 521-380, this comes of the green sticker, the first list is white, and looks newer. the person that i bought this motor and kit from said, they would run at 12.0 to 1 when u cut the angle squish band.(seems to me it would be more) hope this helps

If you don't know the dome volume, you (or NRHS) can measure the 1" down volume. Simply pack some wheel bearing grease around the top ring (leave the second and oil rings off), put the piston in the bore 1" down (to the base of the dome), and fill it from a burrette. You can then do the calculations with my CR calculator ... http://www.nrhsperformance.com/nrhscalculator.shtml ... and figure out what chamber volume you need to get to your target CR. An XB head at 3-13/16 bore and big valves can be done anywhere from about 70cc to 80cc, getting outside that range is tough.
the only problem is the cylinders are unfinished, so it woudl have to happen after the cylinders been honed. and for me to do it id have to wait to get them back so that wouldnt work because head work and stuff.
Old 30th July 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr1283 View Post
I guess ill just stick to my original idea of a sportster frame. I think im goin to cut out the back bone and weld in a new one that gives more room for this type of motor.
Kinda late but maybe not and it may help another.

I would not raise the backbone I would lower the engine. This will give you a lower center of gravity. The down side of this though is if you are using shocks you will have to watch the swing arm angle. Using struts or a hardtail kit would negate that issue though.

You can lower the motor by making stepped sleeves that fit inside the tubes and extend them the needed amount.
Old 31st July 2008
Harley Engineer

havent thought about that. most people ive seen have just raised the back bone up. this is goin to be a street drivin bike so taking away ground clearence might become a problem. thats a great idea though rick
Old 8th June 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL-F2
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Peterson is an unknown quantity at this point

If you love something or not, but don't forget the functional working of part that you want to change it. As in some cases, the replaced part don't fit as the older one. Hope you don't mind it.

racing accessories