The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 where did you put your xlforum patch?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 187
0 TSSM vs Key Fob bike wont start
Last Post: gaspasser
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 49
0 Welding the sprocket to the drum? Can that work OK?
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 107
0 Opinion on Chrome
Last Post: Street Demon
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 497
0 No start, pull fuse and reinsert...starts
Last Post: Jollly Rogers
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 1,199
8 85 Ironhead idles and runs fine with air cleaner off.
Last Post: Dirtmcgirtld
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 696
0 Along came...
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 88
0 Ignition problem?
Last Post: smac74
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 162
0 2018 East Coast Meet & Greet
Last Post: Jordan5150
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 384
Views: 21,787
0 Ironhead tips please!
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 43
0 HAMMERPerf 90" In the Works
Last Post: Vohnsen
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,509
Views: 154,276
0 Greeting from CNY
Last Post: GeoK
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 77
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,568
Views: 467,382
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 40,523
Views: 6,216,380
0 2018 Custom 1200
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Replies: 0
Views: 20
0 97 sportster
Last Post: night-train
Replies: 1
Views: 37
0 Problems with recently rebuilt transmission
Last Post: paulc
Replies: 138
Views: 9,343
0 Please-66 sportster 4 sale-what do I Ask?
Last Post: 60weight
Replies: 4
Views: 162
0 Weld on hardtail
Last Post: Irishpowers
Views: 31
0 What are you drinking tonight?
Last Post: DavieM
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,897
Views: 100,639
0 Lost posts !!!!!!!!
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 9
Views: 276
0 Local noise ordinance
Last Post: KCinSB
Replies: 20
Views: 542
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 8,870
Views: 1,227,044
0 Should I clean case for machine shop
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 319
0 Turn signal failure
Last Post: slamtry
Replies: 29
Views: 937
0 Lollipops
Last Post: T^2
Replies: 7
Views: 573
0 2020 H-D response to the Indian FTR1200?
Last Post: jammantoo
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,557
0 Push Rod Adjustment
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 9
Views: 419
6 Asgardia Regional area
Last Post: Ireeman
Views: 29
0 stress killer
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 236
Views: 36,082
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 84 xl paughco rigid
Other Motorcycle Model: 70 xlch
mct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to all
Default Im sure you were disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenyears of famine View Post
so I just picked up this 59 xlh hoping it was close to a stock motor,
If it would make you feel better ill trade you stock stuff fot the hotrod parts
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
sevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mct496 View Post
If it would make you feel better ill trade you stock stuff fot the hotrod parts
Oh I'm not complaining, just have to change plans accordingly
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model #2: 84 xl paughco rigid
Other Motorcycle Model: 70 xlch
mct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to allmct496 is a name known to all
Default You got some luck

You didnt know what all was in your other bike when you got it did you? It turned out to be chock full of goodies. Hows it coming along?
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

sevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to beholdsevenyears of famine is a splendid one to behold

Looks like I have some things to address before I get to try and start this. Some shredded metal pooled up by the oil screen, I believe from shredded cam shims.

So far I've checked cam shaft/bushing clearance and I'm coming up with the following:

1: .0017
2: .002 (ish)
3: .0024
4: .0019

Pinion shaft/bushing clearance = .0045
Pinion gear slid off rather easily by hand so I will need to figure that out, I think a new gear will fix it.

So I was thinking, at minimum, replace pinion gear & pinion gear bushing. I have those on order along with new cam plates and shims.

I would probably lean towards all new bushings but then I've been reading how big of a job it is to do it right http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1717904

Also, there's a chunk missing out of my cam cover so I'd probably be better off finding a used cover and hope the existing bushings are within spec.

Now, the good thing about having two similar bikes in pieces is you can compare & swap parts while building or troubleshooting. I had 3 XS650's at one time and rarely had to order anything when working on them. It's really convenient if you're as inexperienced as I am.

I got to looking at the cam cover bushings on my 1960 stroker project and started noticing some things.

The bushing where the generator lines up is different on the 60 than others I've seen. Anyone know why?

Also, the 60 has the "torrington needle bearing mod" which I wasn't aware of until now (more questions on that later) http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=967265

The bushings on the 59 look pretty rough. Oil grooves don't look deep enough and definitely some wear in a few areas.

It only makes sense to tackle both of these cam covers at the same time, So what's the next step? Am I on the right track?
Old 1 Week Ago
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenyears of famine View Post
Looks like I have some things to address before I get to try and start this. Some shredded metal pooled up by the oil screen,
Don't know if it actually helps or not, but we always bonked those screens down so they made kind of a cup to catch shit, instead of a mountain to puddle around.

Probably no difference but it seemed like a good idea at the time ...
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t know that I would change the pinion gear just because it’s a slip fit on the shaft. As long as the gear is otherwise in good shape, all a slip fit will do is be slightly noisier in operation. You’ll probably never notice it.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud of

I thought I might have seen the source of the shredded metal. One that seems more likely than destroyed cam shims. The third picture shows a pinion gear whose face looks like it made heavy contact with the pin in the pinion shaft bushing.

But the gears in the other pictures don't show that damage and the pin in the covers are not proud to the bushing.

So I'm confused. Optical illusion?
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
I thought I might have seen the source of the shredded metal. One that seems more likely than destroyed cam shims. The third picture shows a pinion gear whose face looks like it made heavy contact with the pin in the pinion shaft bushing.

But the gears in the other pictures don't show that damage and the pin in the covers are not proud to the bushing.

So I'm confused. Optical illusion?

Doesn't look like the pin was hitting to me.

This washer on the left, was that once a full size cam shim?
Or is this some other typical part that comes off the #3 cam?
Old 1 Week Ago

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
brucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant future

I think the cam cover you have labeled 1960 is actually off a 1963>up.notice the casting #'s.- 52 and -52a.the early cam covers had the daisy wheel oil slinger.that ended with '62.1963 started with the flat washer oil slinger.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 6 Days Ago

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: KH KHK XLH XLCH
Moon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant future

The generator bushing is different to accommodate the early style slinger set up. You can swap covers late for early, but if you do so you need to go to a washer style slinger.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart