The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Celebrating Sportsterpedia's Fourth Anniversary
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 18
0 Keep & Kill
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,329
Views: 863,116
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: spamer80
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 244
Views: 22,247
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16,371
Views: 1,595,008
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: ezmerf
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 154
Views: 15,695
0 Issues with my jiffy stand... HELP!
Last Post: corndog76
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Oil, Filters and Spark Plugs
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 92
Views: 3,472
0 Do Sportster Low XL883L models have a shorter jiffy stand spring?
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 70
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 1,057
Views: 335,169
0 so where the heck is insane shane?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 7
Views: 291
0 Which Battery?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 54
Views: 15,262
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 46,197
Views: 7,320,901
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,084
Views: 301,942
0 Hi from Spain!
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 1,136
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,551
Views: 566,140
0 Sleeve cylinders?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 449
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 2,800
Views: 243,228
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 2,738
Views: 389,065
0 Magneto Sportster's 1964 XLH Restoration Project
Last Post: Magneto Sportster
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,122
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,548
Views: 1,883,798
0 Getting Hammered
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 94
Views: 6,729
0 Sportster kick stand
Last Post: ldurmon
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 146
0 K&N Air Filter for old SE style backing plate?
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 7
Views: 295
0 What do you get when you buy a bike ?
Replies: 3
Views: 158
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 131
Views: 9,737
0 Trans/Year Interchangeability Question
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 175
Views: 5,764
0 Sportster Cobra seat
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 14
Views: 472
0 How many have converted their 883 to 1200?
Replies: 391
Views: 109,321
0 Rain pants
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 123
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: Rhode Warrior
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 47
Views: 244,483
More...
Members Birthdays
nvlarry (65), Harby (65), gregor (62), Rainman (62), Dubfire (59), flathead45 (55), Shu (49), matt1971 (49), dgarber12771 (49), grino1200C (41), adamsmd127 (40), ws6envy (36), doomedcobra
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Not a terrible install, don’t need the locking block, dig up a 4” brass door hinge, it wedges between the teeth on the rotor and the teeth on the clutch basket. For removal I use a 1/2” breaker bar with a five foot piece of pipe over it for leverage. On your install be very careful routing your stator harness across the back of the engine and down ahead of the drive pulley. It might help to attach some cord or wire to your old stator leads as you fish them back up, then attach your new leads to it and carefully pull the new leads back down. Next, a torque wrench with at least 250 lbs. ft., I rented on from my local AutoZone, use red loctite on the new stator. Hope this helps.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 4th November 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Semper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
Not a terrible install, don’t need the locking block, dig up a 4” brass door hinge, it wedges between the teeth on the rotor and the teeth on the clutch basket. For removal I use a 1/2” breaker bar with a five foot piece of pipe over it for leverage. On your install be very careful routing your stator harness across the back of the engine and down ahead of the drive pulley. It might help to attach some cord or wire to your old stator leads as you fish them back up, then attach your new leads to it and carefully pull the new leads back down. Next, a torque wrench with at least 250 lbs. ft., I rented on from my local AutoZone, use red loctite on the new stator. Hope this helps.
Yeah for sure. I didnt know autozone rented torque wrenches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 4th November 2019
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
THEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud of

Please hijack away! Replacing the stator is no big deal and you should totally tackle it yourself, you can do it man. You will need either the locking tool or, an impact to get the nuts off. I prefer the impact method, just borrow one from somewhere, most auto parts stores do tool loaner stuff. Get a good service manual too. I think mine is the clymer service manual and it's better than nothing but leaves a lot to be desired..... an actual HD manual would be best. One of the nuts is LEFT HAND THREAD cant remember which one off top my head.

You basically remove your primary cover and possibly controls, then you unbolt the 2 nuts and pull the primary drive off as a unit, exposing the stator.

Yes, service the clutch, it might still have the grenade plate or spring plate. I like the stiffer barnett diaphragm spring but it definitely makes it a man clutch from the stiffness...

Replacing the throwout bearing wouldn't be bad either but you can get to that one easily later on after everything's buttoned up if need be....... do NOT cheap out on the throwout bearing, I had tons of clutch engagement-disengagement issues that stemmed back to the cheap shitty TOBs I was using.

Anything else just ask.
Old 4th November 2019
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWILDONE View Post
Please hijack away! Replacing the stator is no big deal and you should totally tackle it yourself, you can do it man. You will need either the locking tool or, an impact to get the nuts off. I prefer the impact method, just borrow one from somewhere, most auto parts stores do tool loaner stuff. Get a good service manual too. I think mine is the clymer service manual and it's better than nothing but leaves a lot to be desired..... an actual HD manual would be best. One of the nuts is LEFT HAND THREAD cant remember which one off top my head.

You basically remove your primary cover and possibly controls, then you unbolt the 2 nuts and pull the primary drive off as a unit, exposing the stator.

Yes, service the clutch, it might still have the grenade plate or spring plate. I like the stiffer barnett diaphragm spring but it definitely makes it a man clutch from the stiffness...

Replacing the throwout bearing wouldn't be bad either but you can get to that one easily later on after everything's buttoned up if need be....... do NOT cheap out on the throwout bearing, I had tons of clutch engagement-disengagement issues that stemmed back to the cheap shitty TOBs I was using.

Anything else just ask.
One thing to note is one of the nuts has left handed threads and one is right handed.

There is a lot of great info here in the Sporsterpedia

Check out my Blog for my trip reports:

Click here to listen to my interview about my Sporty and riding on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here to listen to my interview about the Iron Butt Rally on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 4th November 2019
Biker

Semper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of lightSemper-guzzi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys. There's some local to me who's got more tools in his garage then in mine. Think we could share a few beers and knock it out. I ordered the parts last night including plates to replace the spring plate in the clutch. I get to make a clutch compression tool now too ha ha.

Old 4th November 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

F.W.I.W. the Auto Zone by me “loans “ tools out, but you “rent” them. A hundred dollar deposit, use the tool, bring it back and get your deposit back.
Oh, I’ve done six stator replacements, the brass hinge works great as a gear locker, you can borrowed off of a door in your house, .4”.
Old 4th November 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a Cycle Electric stator couple with their regulator and no more problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 5th November 2019
Biker

I looked around at a bunch of cycle electric distributors, none sold it. And I already picked up a new regulator... not even sure my old regulator is bad now that I think about it.

Old 12th November 2019
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
THEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud ofTHEWILDONE has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
One thing to note is one of the nuts has left handed threads and one is right handed.

That's what I said, it's right there in your quote of me lol.
Old 12th November 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing the same thing on my 98.
I have pics up in the Sportsterpedia for the detailed teardown from start although the last thing I have to do is remove the engine sprocket and clutch basket.
They are here, although rigid mount, most should be the same.
91-03 Stator Replacement

Nut removal / installation:

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.

Last edited by Hippysmack; 14th November 2019 at 01:07.. Reason: moved pic url