The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Help identifying this Seat
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 266
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 826
Views: 76,788
0 Cold weather gear -- a long term perspective
Last Post: Magneto Sportster
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 1,240
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9,101
Views: 746,836
0 Strange Headlight Behavior
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 748
0 Front MC advise
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 20
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,208
Views: 264,407
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 110
Views: 6,104
0 Best Riding/Motorcycle Memes-Let's see 'em!
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 253
Views: 37,676
0 1995 Sportster 1200, Black/orange, S&S, Supertrapp
Last Post: RussW
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 856
0 A visit to the Norley workshop
Last Post: TonyGall
Replies: 271
Views: 64,688
0 Winter reading........
Last Post: Akdawg
Replies: 3
Views: 101
0 Got New Bike - 2002 Sportster Project
Last Post: Skwerly
Replies: 25
Views: 990
0 Magneto vented?
Last Post: doodah man
Views: 40
0 Vote for your favorite Babe Jump Babe.....
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 1,744
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: moparnut72
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,737
Views: 188,969
0 XR1200 Torquehammer exhaust failure.. again.
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 266
0 My Christmas card to all on the forum.
Views: 69
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 10,404
Views: 743,893
0 Hellow From Oregon
Last Post: phyhowe
Replies: 16
Views: 200
0 Custom With A Buell 500 Engine
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 80
0 883R 2 into 1
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Views: 41
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 783
Views: 48,368
0 77 kicker engagement issues
Last Post: NHPS
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 45
0 Tires
Last Post: Len PA
Replies: 15
Views: 752
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,712
Views: 234,998
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,856
Views: 276,472
0 2nd Gear shifting problems
Last Post: DrewWphoto
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 113
Views: 15,833
0 Wish the brakes were better than the acceleration
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 849
0 paging @sportsterdoc!! (Carb Problems)
Last Post: lespaul6
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 708
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
This was me in 1982 with my Superglide

Frigging Hippie!
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Ode to Ground Beef

I love a good cheeseburger. Over the years, Iíve had some that were truly incredible. Iíve also had some that made a can of Alpo with Cheese Whiz look appealing, but Iíd rather talk about the good ones.

Jimmy Buffett wrote a song glorifying them. I can agree wholeheartedly with the theme of the song, though I like mine a little differently from the way he prefers them. I donít really care for lettuce and tomato on my burger. I do like Heinz 57, though. I can take or leave the fries, unless Iím in the mood for fries with gravy on them. Then they become elevated to exquisite in flavor. But that depends on my mood. He also likes his with a cold draught beer; I prefer either a cup of good coffee or a glass of Pepsi.

There was a little restaurant in New Lebanon, New York that I stumbled upon back in the 80s called the Hitchiní Post Cafť. They made really good hand formed patties and the burgers were extremely delicious. However, as time went on, the quality began to slip. Then the restaurant got sold and the new owner didnít have the same touch and the burgers devolved into the ordinary category. Then the restaurant got sold again and the name changed. I donít know how the burgers are now.

When Melia and Kala were here in October, we went to a local Steak & Shake. Kala was beside herself. She absolutely loved the burger he had there. She loved it so much that when their flight back to Spokane got put off until the following day, she insisted on going back to S&S for dinner. She voted unanimously on going. (Melia and I didnít get to vote).

Iíve written about it before, but one of the best burgers Iíve had in years was from the restaurant in Marysvale, Utah. I got it with fried onions and mushrooms and I put ketchup on it and it was almost Transcendental. I plan to go back there one of these days. I hope that the restaurant is still open and that the cook hasnít lost his touch.

I cook my own burgers here at home and theyíre adequate, but Iím not a true Maestro when it comes to cooking Burgers. Iím competent and I usually make a decent burger. Good enough for me. I stopped making hand formed patties. I got a burger press and it does what I want it to do. I weigh out the right amount of ground beef and the press shapes it into uniform, round patties. I prefer extra sharp cheddar cheese on my burger.

Occasionally, Iíll fry an onion in butter and put that on my burger. And sometimes, Iíll go all out and put sweet pickle relish, mustard, Tabasco Chipotle sauce, plus the onion and Ketchup on it. That becomes an instant mess as soon as I take the first bite, but it really does taste good.

Other countries have their special foods. Australia has the best steak sandwiches Iíve ever eaten (even better than the Rib Eye sandwiches from Colemanís at the Springfield Mile) and the pork in Kenya was the best tasting pork Iíve ever eaten. Nobody makes a burger that can compare to a good burger made here in the USA, though.

I just had a cheeseburger for dinner, and now Iím enjoying a second cup of good Kenya coffee. The weather sucks outside. Itís been snowing lightly off and on since last night and the temperature has been hovering right around the freezing mark since this time, Monday evening. Iím not going anywhere on the bike, so I figured Iíd come up with a topic for a Snippet. My burger tasted so good, I decided to write about it. I think nearly everybody enjoys a good burger. Except Vegans; they have my deepest sympathy.
Old 3 Days Ago
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a vegan burger so there I think you are correct. I have had a veggie burger that was actually better than the best burger I've ever had. At the lodge in the back at Many Glaciers National Park.
Old 3 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Always followed the words of a wise man.

I will gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today. J Wellington Wimpy.
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Errands and Such

Iím stalling. Itís cold outside and Iím waiting for the temperature to get a little closer to the freezing mark. The thermometer in the back porch is reading 22 F (-5.5 C). Iím getting soft; Temps in the 20s werenít even a consideration a couple of years ago. Hell; when I rode to Daytona in í06, it was 19 F at my house and the temp dropped as I rode through the Connecticut hills. I didnít see the freezing mark until I was in New Jersey. Now, itís in the 20s and I have less than 10 miles total and Iím hanging back. Maybe Iíll get a car for next year. Then again, if the temperature would get up to Average for this date, Iíd be out on the Roadster and comfortable. Maybe next year, the temperatures will be as far above Average as theyíve been below this season. Or maybe itíll warm up as the winter progresses. (And maybe Iíll win the Lottery, too!)

One good way of stalling is to write a Snippet. Iím not sure what to pick for a topic, though. I could write a bit more about Christmas, but thereís over two weeks to go, and thereíll be additional things to write about it, so I think I should wait. I could write more about Flat Track, but Iím going to wait until after the first of the year for that. After I wrote about Cheeseburgers, a friend recommended I do an Ode to Pizza. Thatís definitely worth a Snippet, but I want to wait a bit.

One thing that has me thinking is that Liquid Assets (the people who bought out EBR Motorcycles) are doing low volume builds. What Iíve heard so far is two variants of the 1190 RX and an 1190 SX Black Mamba. I guess itís a variation of the Black Lightning. It has the original SX suspension and not the shorter suspension of the Black Lightning. I donít know if it has the higher bars or lower footpegs or the more comfortable seat. More details will appear in time. The other thing I donít know is the price. Even if itís being sold at a bargain price, I probably wonít be able to afford one. Still, if it is priced low enough, maybe I could work out a wayÖ weíll see. Iím trying to make assumptions from insufficient data. Thatís bad science and itís also a bad way to live. But it is a nice subject for Daydreaming.

Well; the temperature has risen all the way to 27 F (-3C). I guess I should get off my duff, put my gear on and gitter done.
Old 10 Hours Ago
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

All I want is no rain and dry roads, hasn't happened in almost three weeks here. Got PMS, Parked Motorcycle Syndrome, grrr.
Old 6 Hours Ago
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
gravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond reputegravydog has a reputation beyond repute

You know if you buy a car for next winter, It will never snow and it won't get below 40. Sounds like a fair trade to me!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C - Sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Softail Slim S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
moparnut72 has a reputation beyond reputemoparnut72 has a reputation beyond reputemoparnut72 has a reputation beyond reputemoparnut72 has a reputation beyond reputemoparnut72 has a reputation beyond reputemoparnut72 has a reputation beyond reputemoparnut72 has a reputation beyond reputemoparnut72 has a reputation beyond reputemoparnut72 has a reputation beyond reputemoparnut72 has a reputation beyond reputemoparnut72 has a reputation beyond repute

I was actually looking at the EBR website yesterday or one that was all about the bikes. Pretty nice bikes but not my style at the age I have somehow managed to reach. I ride a cruiser now, not into baggers. My cruiser is great for running errands around town, playing pseudo ricky racer in the mountains or blasting down the highway at 80 mph. It doesn't do all of these exceptionally well but well enough for this old fart. I didn't any mention of price either but since they are pretty much handbuilt I would expect them to be pretty dear.
kk