The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 Gender sensitivity:
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 1,158
0 WTB 50 or 100 RD Drum for Thompson 1927
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 10
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 20,473
Views: 1,216,687
0 100 round Drum for 1927 Thompson
Views: 17
0 '95 - relocated my turn signals
Last Post: Brad
Views: 33
0 Cafe Bars/Drag Bars/T Bars
Last Post: Dave L
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 130
Views: 113,131
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 27,383
Views: 2,853,159
0 shift lever fabrication questions
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 212
5 Do you have a Facebook Acct?
Last Post: skien
Replies: 15
Views: 398
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Brad
Replies: 1,327
Views: 127,990
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 8,345
Views: 1,828,813
6 Custom Racer with Aluminium Frame and Sportster Engine
Last Post: agusta74
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 102
Views: 20,446
0 My '05 1200C (insert clever title here)
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 220
Views: 49,553
0 Can't find build thread for DAN MOTO’S HARLEY SPORTSTER RACER
Replies: 2
Views: 74
0 Can't find a build thread for DAN MOTO’S HARLEY SPORTSTER RACER
Views: 59
0 Rear Caliper Pin Bolt Thread 2009 Nighster
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 193
0 Relocating front signals '21 Forty 8
Last Post: Morsecode
Replies: 7
Views: 94
0 1250 Unhappiness 2020 edition
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 106
Views: 7,098
0 best way to re-route throttle cables?
Last Post: redling36
Replies: 10
Views: 6,193
7 2001 xlh 1200 off road
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 108
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 2,085
Views: 438,276
0 10 things i DON'T miss about my sporties
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 21
Views: 1,563
0 Home Brewing
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 140
Views: 11,061
0 Rocker arms bolts
Last Post: needspeed
Replies: 13
Views: 398
0 Broken chain
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 439
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 987
Views: 109,727
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 7,567
Views: 1,167,798
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,619
Views: 237,836
0 '81 front Shocks
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 288
0 04 883
Last Post: ZCarFan
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 345
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2021
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 bored out to 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
slamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Pete, I'm gonna go and try releasing the bottom end first; as you say, if that is just held on by a bolt that runs through it from the outside, then pulling the bolt right out will release the pressure and should make it easy to get the top end off. I'll have a look at it tomorrow when the sun comes out again.
Old 20th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamtry View Post
Thanks Pete, I'm gonna go and try releasing the bottom end first; as you say, if that is just held on by a bolt that runs through it from the outside, then pulling the bolt right out will release the pressure and should make it easy to get the top end off. I'll have a look at it tomorrow when the sun comes out again.
Yes, and I just added to that last post of mine.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 20th January 2021
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
drisko is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamtry View Post

The rear shocks are under compression anytime the rear wheel is on the ground. You might be able to get the bottom bolt out without lifting the rear end, but you are likely to find that the shock will rapidly expand to release tension. Assuming that causes no damage to you or the bike, the shock will be extended and the distance between the bottom bolt and top bolt will be shorter than the shock so you would need to compress it to get it back in place. Lift the rear end so the shocks aren’t under compression and then you can use wood blocks under the wheel to adjust the height until the shock comes off easily. I know you said you didn’t want to use a lift, but most people posting are telling you to lift it. There’s a reason for that. You do you but if it were me I’d listen to the people you are asking for advice. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20th January 2021
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 bored out to 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
slamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of lightslamtry is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't got a lift but in any case I think it can be done without one. So I will be doing it or not doing it with the tools I have.
Old 20th January 2021
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Just pull the shock off already. It won’t fly away or shoot through the roof. It may be a little snug but it’s not going anywhere. It may not just slide back on when your done, but may need a little coaxing to get back on. Slide it back on the upper stud and you may have to lift up a tad while starting the lower bolt. Not a big deal.
The way some people look at a task is much different than others. Some have to plan a month out to change a spark plug.
This thread has gone on way too long.
My guess is your going to complete it and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Old 20th January 2021
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1978 XLCH project
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1975
45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute

If you don’t have a bike lift, and intend doing your own maintenance on a 500lb motorcycle, with no centrestand, I’d suggest that you get one. They aren’t expensive and have all sorts of uses, and you can raise and lower the bike with one foot without risking putting your back out.

My tool of choice for removing and refitting suspension units, is an old flat-blade screwdriver about 10” long. I can exert a useful amount of leverage accurately with one hand, and hold the unit in place while I slip the lower bolt in. Useful for just springing the bolt to get it out, too.
Old 20th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
Just pull the shock off already. It won’t fly away or shoot through the roof. It may be a little snug but it’s not going anywhere. It may not just slide back on when your done, but may need a little coaxing to get back on. Slide it back on the upper stud and you may have to lift up a tad while starting the lower bolt. Not a big deal.
The way some people look at a task is much different than others. Some have to plan a month out to change a spark plug.
This thread has gone on way too long.
My guess is your going to complete it and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Exactly. There is too much false information floating in this thread. This isn't rocket science.

I also explained how to get the shocks to fully extend without a lift.

I repeat it can be done two ways. Get a block that is just a bit higher than the bottom of frame. Get an assistant if you feel uncomfortable but I do it alone all the time. Get on left side of bike and position yourself forward of the stand and holding the left bar grip, pull towards you on the rear of the frame. The bike will tilt up on the stand and front wheel. At that point the rear is tire is off the floor. Now kick that block under the right rear of the frame and let the bike settle on the block. With this method the bike is left sitting on front wheel, stand, and block. Those three contact points keep the rear wheel off the ground. You will note that swing arm only falls so far. That's because as I have been saying, the shocks will be topped out.

The second method I described earlier. That is to set the block under both frame rails and when you tilt the bike back it will sit on the front tire and the block only so it will sit straight up. Not necessary for pulling the right hand shock, so the block under the right rear frame rail will suffice.

NOTE: The shocks will top out no matter if the tension is full on hard or as loose as it gets. Under the lowest setting for tension, the spring is still too strong for you to man handle it anyway, so releasing pressure is a waste of time and energy, it is of no use to you at all and it forces you to readjust the shock later and waste more time. Anyone here enjoy wasting time?

To Dan. Of course I will help you at any time, you are always welcome here. I am posting mainly to clear up the false claim that the shock is going to hit you in the face when you pull it.

The only time you need to release pressure on the spring is when you disassemble the shock itself (which is what I mistakenly thought you were trying to do in the beginning of this thread). But even then backing the spring off won't help at all. For that you need a spring compressor to get all the tension off of the retainers. I doubt there is anyone in this forum strong enough to compress the springs by hand even at the lowest setting.
Old 20th January 2021

45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve used blocks and wedges under the wheel to raise it, before now. I’ve worked on bikes on the centre stand, on blocks of wood, and laying over on the Side stand.

These days I use a lift, and the reason is simple - it’s easier than the other ways. I use the same lift for all my bikes, with a selection of small wood blocks (because some bikes, including most Sportsters, have exhaust bikes below the lower frame rail). I can push it around on its wheels with one foot, move the bike when raised and raise and lower the bike small increments with one foot.

I’d say that was worth $100 of anyone’s money, because it just goes on being useful.

Same with the thing about taking the wheel out. Sportsters have very little clearance under the back mudguard, and the bolts holding the side strut on are hard to reach. You CAN do it, but it’s easier to drop the wheel. Check the wiring while you’re under there, make sure it’s secure and not chafing. Check the wheel bearings and brake pads. Adjust the chain.
Old 21st January 2021

You need to release the bottom first, because the top stud is welded to the frame. The suspension unit slips out of the bottom clevis, then slides off the top stud. Reinstall in reverse order - top first.
Old 21st January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Dan. I texted you a few pictures with no reply, do you still have the same number?