The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 I guess it''s true. (2019 The Last Year For The Sportster?)
Last Post: Counter Steer
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 63
Views: 2,803
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,216
Views: 489,713
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,181
Views: 181,026
0 Solenoid rebuild drained battery
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 242
0 Use Force Sportster Exhaust
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 283
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12,978
Views: 1,184,090
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,522
Views: 265,516
0 Calling all short frame riders . . .
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 195
Views: 18,192
0 2003 883R Progressive Fork Springs?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 26
0 Two small bearings (balls) in drain plug
Last Post: mikam123
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 7
0 Exhaust Wrap
Last Post: TheSterling
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 8,873
0 Slip on muffler
Last Post: jkinkade
Replies: 236
Views: 73,811
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 44,682
Views: 7,022,804
0 What oil temp do you run
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Replies: 110
Views: 23,929
0 Photos: King Peanut or Regular Peanut tank?
Last Post: rezchug
Replies: 56
Views: 35,797
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 655
Views: 74,392
0 derby cover leak
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 2
Views: 35
0 2020 Sportster models on Federal EPA website
Last Post: Bored now
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 1,245
0 Massachusetts rides 2019
Last Post: mick42
Replies: 25
Views: 989
0 Helmets Please...
Replies: 234
Views: 53,494
14 Hogtunes In-Fairing Bluetooth Audio Controller
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 23
0 How do you like your Dealer?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 196
Views: 49,396
0 what size battery is appropriate?
Last Post: The Doctor71
Replies: 16
Views: 491
0 Help! VOES And hose
Last Post: unitedcycles
Replies: 9
Views: 282
0 I need help sourcing a stroker crank
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 16
Views: 509
5 What can cause the engine to suddenly misfire?
Last Post: Whitewalls
Replies: 6
Views: 222
0 Changing DNS Servers
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 3
Views: 51
0 Mounting fatbob tanks on a '74
Last Post: Tonyb65
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 7,370
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
shooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to behold
Default Cost of ejikation

I answered a post ,a good one about cheap generator solutions and since this last month was spent learning about genny problems that I never had much of before,I did not want my somewhat long winded post to get lost in the "old stuff" and may be hep someone in someway here it is,forgive the wind!
I tested the system and actually got pretty good at it after awhile ,however I went through two gennys the original cycle electric went first,this is not a reflection on the Company ,I have had this motorcycle and the same genny, since 2010,however,I did no yearly maintenance in that time,( still learning!)the brushes wore out and into the commutator,this ruined the cycle electric armature,never do this,because good generator guys,unless they work on a lot of HARLEY MOTORCYCLES- old ones- don't know the difference between armatures out there ,there are three gennys worth buying IF they are all original,and in good working condition,OR minor problems like brushes,they are -OEM or NOS H-D genny's pref. 65A , Cycle Electric genny's,( No.1 choice in anybody's book), and Hitachi genny 29980-82 also OEM after 1982,these are exceptional in that they are well built,the drive end is cast steel or iron with tons mor meat where they bolt up,a common weak area on all 65a gennys is how thin the wall between the mounting bolts and outside of the drive end genny end this should have been fixed way back when by making them thicker and wider by 1/4" this would have given them another 1/8" between the bolts and air ,the way they are is a recipe for stripping and strainJMHO,They also shoul be steel or cast iron,there is a lot of weight on those two bolts and barely a 1/16" in of metal ( if that).Hitachi's-the only problem with the Hitachi's is parts including brushes ,they only made 3 years ,I think .there are also only two armatures worth buying Cycle Electric or Accel,Accel armatures seem to be a bear and run itn price about the same as a Cycle Electric,at thier best the other brands May last awhile if everything else is good but you might have to send a couple back before you get a good one( even a blind dog with three legs will catch a rabbit once in awhile.) my regulators also tested good while being tested they were also old and cycle electric but they keep a charge running to the batt,they also shut the genny off and on to keep it from overcharging and overheating and burning up ,mine apparently did not,I have a new Cycle electric genny coming and I have a new cycle electric regulator in hand,the old one I will rebuild with good components even the Taiwan one,these are a step up from Chinese but not much of a step ,but the heart of a genny,and the part which almost always goes is the Armature,and some have broken with bad,bad effect in the gear box,this alone is reason to buy only the good aforementioned brands ,if you buy a cheap brand,buy good armature to put in it,then the price woul be what a good one cost anyway.oh the Hitachi's are different than the others ,no parts interchange not even brushes,but a good one is gold,maintain them all once a year.
These are just a few of the things I have earned in the last month,electrics was my weak point,I'm getting better ,buy a good multi meter,read the sticky's,get the info on line from cycle Electric,talk to good auto -cycle electricians,ask questions of them there's sometimes more than one way to get the same results.don't assume learn how to test the stuff,this last month cost me some but I got edjikated enuff to earn something ,education costs ,
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
owlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud of

Thanks for reminding me to check mine.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk