The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Compression Tester Differences
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 98
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 279
0 My 1250 to 1275 build
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 144
Views: 8,999
0 Happy Birthday Joebobber
Last Post: mick42
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 19
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: 51 New West
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 341
Views: 73,461
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,836
Views: 1,277,739
0 ultima iggy plate near the end of travel
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Replies: 21
Views: 690
0 hello and help!
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 2
Views: 116
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 63
Views: 236,264
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 44,984
Views: 7,085,032
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: conv90
Replies: 147
Views: 14,949
0 Hello!!!
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 187
0 Here goes...
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 125
0 Fubar (Rear Cylinder Not Firing)
Last Post: 93trident
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 465
0 74 XLH disk brake lower anchor pin
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 235
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 1,776
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: thood
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,347
Views: 815,860
0 Speedometer issue
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 3
Views: 216
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Replies: 448
Views: 87,176
0 CV carb rubber bung
Replies: 16
Views: 450
0 Fitment between 2005 & 2006
Replies: 6
Views: 127
0 HAMMERING the Columbia!
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 53
Views: 10,450
0 1996 Sportster 1200 ignition/ idle/ warm up/ lost cylinder???
Replies: 3
Views: 147
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: A Seabee
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,296
Views: 511,870
0 Ulysses Oil Fittings?
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 1
Views: 50
0 What is it and Where (Wiring Other Tail Light And Turn Signals)
Last Post: broknluck
Replies: 20
Views: 989
0 5 gal tank
Last Post: Tonyb65
Replies: 46
Views: 14,891
0 Mounting fatbob tanks on a '74
Replies: 30
Views: 8,599
0 Larger gas tank for 1996?
Replies: 24
Views: 1,732
0 is a buell a harley
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 154
Views: 16,914
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
You've also got a base gasket leak.
That will require pulling the heads and cylinders to fix.
While you have them off, run a straightedge across the case surface, cylinder to head surfaces and rocker box 'pieces' surfaces.
I am skeptical of pointing to high CC pressure since it's only one cylinder leaking?
But I haven't studied if that could be a problem with only one bad umbrella.
But with your average for leaks, it'd be good to rule out the mating surfaces as being the problem.

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Skuzeee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
Yes.

You've also got a base gasket leak.

That will require pulling the heads and cylinders to fix.

While you have them off, run a straightedge across the case surface, cylinder to head surfaces and rocker box 'pieces' surfaces.

I am skeptical of pointing to high CC pressure since it's only one cylinder leaking?

But I haven't studied if that could be a problem with only one bad umbrella.

But with your average for leaks, it'd be good to rule out the mating surfaces as being the problem.
I think that oil actually came from a leaking horseshoe breather, the same day I noticed the rear cylinder leak, I also noticed the front cylinder breather spit out a lot of oil. Last time I checked my oil it was low, so I filled it to 1/2 way between the lines, then noticed the leak. I'm hoping that this bike likes less oil, leading to leaks.

I've noticed it's been shaking more lately, my ignition switch housing brackets broke twice recently and 2 keys snapped as I was taking them out.

If it's something more serious, I'm not sure I want to deal with it, I lack the knowledge and it's getting expensive.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that would do it.
When's the last time you replaced the breather umbrellas?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
Yep, that would do it.
When's the last time you replaced the breather umbrellas?
Around Februrary, when I rebuilt the bike with a Hammer 1275 kit.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Broken ignition brackets and keys are far from normal. I would expect the Hammer kit to be quite well balanced. Take a good look at all of the motor mounts. The 89” motor in my 2000 is smoother than any previous package in that bike. From Stage 1, .20 over at 10 1/2, and now stroked. Additionally, it had base gasket seepage a couple times but I found a couple of good, long hot runs and they sealed up, go figure?
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
Broken ignition brackets and keys are far from normal. I would expect the Hammer kit to be quite well balanced. Take a good look at all of the motor mounts. The 89” motor in my 2000 is smoother than any previous package in that bike. From Stage 1, .20 over at 10 1/2, and now stroked. Additionally, it had base gasket seepage a couple times but I found a couple of good, long hot runs and they sealed up, go figure?
I checked all the motor mounts, tightning all to 30 ft/lb. One lower front bolt had some slack, most were either good or within 1/5 turn of 30ft/lb.

I also cleaned out the breather kit and installed new rocker covers (my old ones had half their chrome peeled off) and re-checked rocker cover bolts, they seemed good, except the two rear rocker arm bolts closest to the spark plug had slack enough that I could turn their washers, even after tightening them to 18 ft/lb, but I remember them being like that when I disassembled the engine.

I'm going to Chicago for a job interview, so wont be testing the bike till Saturday, but I hope something I did makes a difference.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed for you!
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzeee View Post
I checked all the motor mounts, tightning all to 30 ft/lb. One lower front bolt had some slack, most were either good or within 1/5 turn of 30ft/lb.

I also cleaned out the breather kit and installed new rocker covers (my old ones had half their chrome peeled off) and re-checked rocker cover bolts, they seemed good, except the two rear rocker arm bolts closest to the spark plug had slack enough that I could turn their washers, even after tightening them to 18 ft/lb, but I remember them being like that when I disassembled the engine.

I'm going to Chicago for a job interview, so wont be testing the bike till Saturday, but I hope something I did makes a difference.
a

I am making the assumption that you're talking about the cover bolts.. not the bolts that hold down the lower rocker cover..
so.. that is not a good thing and is why you keep getting leaks. the 1997 model year uses a gasket under the washer to keep oil from seeping out the screw hole..

Possible fixes..

#1) remove the rocker covers and check the rocker housing where the bolts go into for obstructions. Obvious ones include old loctite, silicone or oil, reinstall the rocker covers with new bolt gaskets and see if things are better.. if not....

#2) replace the bolts with different ones. available on the 2010 sportsters and backwards compatible. washer 6589A and screw 2486. after checking that the screw holes are clear of obstructions.

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
I am making the assumption that you're talking about the cover bolts.. not the bolts that hold down the lower rocker cover..
so.. that is not a good thing and is why you keep getting leaks. the 1997 model year uses a gasket under the washer to keep oil from seeping out the screw hole..

Possible fixes..

#1) remove the rocker covers and check the rocker housing where the bolts go into for obstructions. Obvious ones include old loctite, silicone or oil, reinstall the rocker covers with new bolt gaskets and see if things are better.. if not....

#2) replace the bolts with different ones. available on the 2010 sportsters and backwards compatible. washer 6589A and screw 2486. after checking that the screw holes are clear of obstructions.
It's not the rocker cover bolts, it's the two I colored in. They are torqued correctly and both fit the same way, so maybe it's correct?

Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Can you flip that over and take a pick?
With those two bolts being loose, I'd be concerned about the condition of the rocker arm pads.
If those two bolts won't tighten up on your old heads, that definitely would explain the leaks.
Check the threads and check the bolts for warpage.
I can't remember if you checked the lower box for warpage but check that also with a straight edge if you haven't already.