The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Buell Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 which cylinder hone
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 431
0 Really Hard to start XL1200 C
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 317
5 What color (s) were offered on a '65 CH ?
Last Post: DirtyHarry68
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 119
0 77 kicker engagement issues
Last Post: NHPS
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 454
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,876
Views: 282,565
0 What are you drinking tonight?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,929
Views: 115,595
0 1959 competition exhaust
Last Post: murph1068
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 15
0 Help with my clutch please
Last Post: DirtyHarry68
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 215
Views: 12,942
14 Iconic Parts that say it's a Harley!
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 749
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 601
Views: 59,018
0 remap. Y/N?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 21
Views: 6,575
0 SERIOUS 1275 engine issues!! PLEASE HELP!!
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 33
Views: 806
0 Front MC advise
Last Post: Randy_rots
Replies: 12
Views: 327
0 Slowly finding Bits and Pieces ....
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 1
Views: 120
14 Firearms you wish you owned.
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 543
Views: 94,028
0 ECM Relocation Options Thread
Last Post: PetesPonies
Replies: 141
Views: 197,387
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 42,240
Views: 6,545,088
0 starter block off plate
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 22
Views: 567
0 ***DK Custom-Billet Handlebar Top Clamp w/ Indicator Lights Receptacle***
Views: 27
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 1,772
Views: 192,749
0 ***DK Custom-Finned Handlebar Clamps For Sportsters, Dynas, & Others***
Views: 40
0 Sale or Trade 2018 Sportster Mag wheels
Last Post: Whylee
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 399
5 Methods to quiet the old Sporty ?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 6
Views: 179
0 Ohlins
Last Post: Bluto
Replies: 1
Views: 67
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Jesus Jon
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,594
Views: 657,835
0 Those little ways to personalize your bike...
Last Post: Jesus Jon
Replies: 9
Views: 659
0 ***DK Custom-22LR LED Run-Brake-Turn Lights-Universal Fitment***
Views: 44
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 9,209
Views: 757,377
0 ***DK Custom-Stealth LED Saddlebag Run-Brake-Turn Lights***
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 49
More...
Members Birthdays
jenks60 (63), Hammer of God (57), billas 100th (54), sam19 (53), ivory hunter (50), cumnz (49), TJ Willy (45), SINdicated (39), XRavenX (36)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
islanddave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2000 Buell Cyclone (Tranny Acting Up)

Ok .....my tranny started acting up this past year. Actually I got the bike this past year. It will slip then engage when I shift into second from first. At first it was only when the bike was cold then it would do it whether it was cold or hot. I suspect it is the clutch dogs on second gear. Is transmission work something that the average guy can do? I am handy and have rebuilt other engines but never a sportster.

Thanks Very Much David
Old 4th January 2014
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1000 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
xlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to all

you can do it, not extremely complicated. And if you don't know yet, " you have a trap door" making it a whole lot easier than splitting the cases. Get the shop manual (sportster will do), and check out some YouTube vids . Replace the bearing in the door while you're at it. Buy or borrow the clutch removal tool, (ebay). And you will need a primary cover gasket. And... if you don't have the beefier primary chain tensioner shoe ( the white piece of plastic that you primary chain sits on, buy it. Check the trap door for cracks before you reuse it. Or buy a beefier trap door. One more thing: change your fluid before you do anything to rule that out. If you use synthetic, change to gear oil, and if you use gear oil change to synthetic. No diff, dig in.

Last edited by xlron; 4th January 2014 at 23:00.. Reason: add info
Old 4th January 2014
Biker

I guess one of my main concerns is that are there any tolerances that need to be adhered to............meaning is there any shimming involved to set the free play of any shafts or surfaces

Thanks Dave
Old 5th January 2014
Chief Master Mechanic

xlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to all

There is a shimming process involved, but it is covered very well in the manual and is very strait forward. I can pretty much guarantee that the shims will go back in the same order they came out. Sounds like you need to eyeball the manual before you tackle this job though, so you'll have some confidence going into it. When you pull the trap, and have removed the primary ( external ) sprocket, you're pretty much going to pull the whole gear set as a unit, inspect it and set it aside, without messing with shimming. The situation you described in your first post means that more than likely you are only going to straighten out a shifter fork that is bent anyway. You can get the manual used from amazon, very reasonably.
Old 5th January 2014
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom 88ci
Sportster/Buell Year: Bits
Other Motorcycle Model: '00
rubine has a reputation beyond reputerubine has a reputation beyond reputerubine has a reputation beyond reputerubine has a reputation beyond reputerubine has a reputation beyond reputerubine has a reputation beyond reputerubine has a reputation beyond reputerubine has a reputation beyond reputerubine has a reputation beyond reputerubine has a reputation beyond reputerubine has a reputation beyond repute

Youll need a new set of retaining rings as well. As xlron said, grab a FSM and go over it, study that thing.
Old 5th January 2014
Biker

I found a manual locally for a 2001 should be the same right? I have been looking at the online manual at Bad Web but it's a pain to follow along on a computer plus it's for a 96..............don't know how many changes were made along the way.
What sportster specific tools will I need while I'm waiting for the manual to come in? What size is the engine sprocket nut? Will an electric impact wrench break it free? I'm doing all of this in my 10th story apartment!
I also have a very small base gasket leak at the rear cylinder, might be a good time to address this.....................maybe just spring for a 1250 kit from Hammer. Wanna do rear isolators too.
Thanks Dave
Old 6th January 2014
Chief Master Mechanic

Default Nut?

My friend, you are just the kind of guy these bikes were made for (10th floor?). The only Harley specific tool you might need, would be the clutch tool, but you can make your own. Do a clutch tool search here on this site. I have just used a hammer and screwdriver on a corner of the sprocket nut, so don't know the size without going to the book. I believe I remember some kind of nut position retainer, so it will not be very tight anyway. As far as addressing a cly head leak, yeah, this would be the time to fix that as well. If it's a buell 1203, you're more than likely just inspecting parts and putting a gasket set in if you don't find anything out of tolerance. Rings, etc. I mean, what more can you do to make it go faster? Do you need to go faster than 135? A racing ecm will get you there if you're not hitting the mark. Long as the carb & pipe are up to snuff on jet sizing etc.....
Old 6th January 2014
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlron View Post
My friend, you are just the kind of guy these bikes were made for (10th floor?). The only Harley specific tool you might need, would be the clutch tool, but you can make your own. Do a clutch tool search here on this site. I have just used a hammer and screwdriver on a corner of the sprocket nut, so don't know the size without going to the book. I believe I remember some kind of nut position retainer, so it will not be very tight anyway. As far as addressing a cly head leak, yeah, this would be the time to fix that as well. If it's a buell 1203, you're more than likely just inspecting parts and putting a gasket set in if you don't find anything out of tolerance. Rings, etc. I mean, what more can you do to make it go faster? Do you need to go faster than 135? A racing ecm will get you there if you're not hitting the mark. Long as the carb & pipe are up to snuff on jet sizing etc.....
yeah 1203................really this bike is enough................I've never had this much fun on a bike. Stock muffler and a 3" hammer air cleaner, and up jetted the pilot.........and main................it runs great I just wanted to address the tranny issue. By the way it's a rear base gasket weep...................should I still be concerned? Does the engine need to come out to address this?

Yeah 10 th floor penthouse. I took the fuel tank and seat off and it fit in the elevator. I work midnights so no one was around to see at 3am on my nite off.

I have never worked on a bike before in so much comfort! Nice and warm, bathroom down the hall, tools at the ready, and computer by my side.
Old 6th January 2014
Chief Master Mechanic

Again, read the book chapter concerning Cylinder head gaskets before you tackle that. It's not complicated either, but you need to pay close attention to torque spec's when it goes back together. There are some good You Tubes on cyl head gasket replacement also. Not necessarily on the sporty, but still basically the same.
Sponsored Links
Old 6th January 2014
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need for a clutch tool. The clutch can be removed without disassembling it.