The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 52,578
Views: 8,875,713
0 Snippets
Replies: 535
Views: 74,857
0 The Strociek Project
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 69
Views: 4,989
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 25,652
Views: 1,501,881
0 Posting Pics
Last Post: BigAl57
Replies: 16
Views: 6,486
0 Trouble removing old license plate
Last Post: armstrong001
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 545
0 sportster revival
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 346
0 71 XLH Value?
Last Post: joe s
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 59
Views: 2,014
7 2001 xlh 1200 off road
Last Post: Warlock
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 1,146
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,826
Views: 962,718
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Replies: 81
Views: 5,627
0 Allegheny National Park III
Replies: 51
Views: 1,386
0 Hello From Brighton, England
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 114
9 Very long pullback handlebars required
Last Post: Elzer0
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,371
0 Japanese Cush Drive!!
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 17,533
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 33,159
Views: 3,916,296
0 video & pics
Replies: 598
Views: 63,991
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,094
Views: 2,133,761
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 12,619
Views: 2,995,772
0 Electrical Harness Replacemet vs. Self Rewire
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 8,235
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 2,922
0 never mind
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 303
Views: 58,785
0 Canadian Purchases
Last Post: XL Ed
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 4,008
0 Looking for community help/steering/front end issues
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Views: 165
0 best set up for ease of kick starting
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 393
0 2007 Sportster 883 won’t start; no turn signals
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 316
0 Acceptable Voltage Drop-Starter Circuit
Last Post: The Doctor71
Replies: 64
Views: 2,408
0 Front fender legalities in the UK
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 15
Views: 7,196
0 Oil coming out of top of cam cover
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Views: 219
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2021
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1275R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
sml1226 has disabled reputation
Default HSR idle mixture screw

Hey guys. I have an HSR42 that I’ve never been able to get right. I stuck an O2 sensor on to check AFR here recently and it doesn’t seem to want to move any while turning the air screw. I’m not really sure if it’s always been like this or not but I can’t really tune the rest of the carb if the idle is never right.

The needle, needle jet, main, etc shouldn't be affecting me here, should they? I’ve had a 20 and a 22.5 in there so far and both seem to settle right around 13:1. I can get it to go richer, but even there, not a ton. I think it hit 11.5:1 before it stumbled.

So I guess the first question is, is there anything that would lead to the screw being largely useless? I can’t see anything blocking the air passages. The air jet is a blank on these. The choke plunger, as far as I can tell, is fully seated. An air leak somewhere would have the opposite issue.

I can try a 17.5 jet too, as I do have one, but I’d still expect the AFR to move even if the jet were too large.

Any other suggestions?
Old 21st October 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: '68
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXR
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '89
Other Motorcycle Model: R50/5
Other Motorcycle Year: '73
Fivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond reputeFivecats has a reputation beyond repute

Never touched one, but maybe this will help.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrV...ZMtGKc5MNZa.Q-
Old 21st October 2021
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, the choke plunger on that if it’s the modified H.D. Cable can hang up and that would give you a richer mixture. The Mikuni cable, is a much better alternative and recommended.
I.B.A.#26543,

Dads words of wisdom:”behave and if you can’t behave don’t get caught!”

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 21st October 2021
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post
Hey guys. I have an HSR42 that I’ve never been able to get right.

Any other suggestions?
Are you turning the screw the right direction? On the HSR 42 it's an air screw. Turning it in richens the mixture, out is leaner. The usable range is normally between 1/2 and 2 1/2 turns out. The off idle transition is frequently best with a pilot jet that has a best idle with the screw 1 - 1 1/2 turns out.

The other thing that comes to mind is that like having the throttle blade open too far on the CV carbs, you can have the slide lifted too high on a slide type and have it pulling fuel thru the transfer ports.

Make sure you have enough ignition advance at idle, 12 - 15 degrees, that helps it idle with less slide opening.

Idle AFR is interesting but best idle is with the mixture screw setting that gives the highest manifold vacuum, or the lowest MAP. I would expect "best idle" AFR's to be in the lowish to mid 12's.
Old 22nd October 2021
Flat Track Champion

Mikuni cable is on there (yes, Mikuni spring and plunger too). I never liked the Keihin cable on these carbs prior to the swap. As far as I can tell, that’s good.

And yeah, I know it’s an air screw. I’m not so much trying to tune it for a specific AFR as I am confused by the lack of change as I do turn the screw. But tuning it by MAP is something I hadn’t thought of and if I can ever get it working, I’ll be sure to run my monitor and look at that while setting it. As for the slide height at idle, that was honestly my big concern. The AFR wouldn’t do much with the screw if it’s already on the needle jet. The slide is pretty low as is, but I can’t say for certain on that one. I’m not entirely sure where it starts pulling from that circuit on these just by looking. It is as low as I can get it to idle, but I suppose if it’s that much too lean on the pilot, I could potentially have turned the adjuster in enough to lift it past the idle circuit height.

And I’d have to check on the ignition. I haven’t paid that much attention here.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I’ll see what my ignition map looks like if it needs any tweaking around idle and see if going richer on the pilot lets me lower that slide any more than it is now.
Old 23rd October 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

i have a question, are you using the correct heated sensor?
a sensor that cannot maintain a set temp is a poor choice as the O2's will be off. also remember how the engine is fueled, it is not a steady state stream and each cyl can/will effect the other.
Old 23rd October 2021
Flat Track Champion

I would assume it’s heating properly, but yes it’s a heated wideband sensor feeding a gauge designed for that particular sensor. I forget the model but it’ll run a short little “heat” cycle at the gauge before reading the ratios.

And absolutely. The idle is probably going to be the least reliable AF number I see, but I still expect movement of the number as I turn that screw. That was the biggest concern, and my only thought that made sense was that somehow I wasn’t running on the idle circuit at all. I haven’t had a chance to make changes and see if they help yet, but unless something’s screwy in the carb, that’s still where I’m leaning.
Old 24th October 2021
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post
...my only thought that made sense was that somehow I wasn’t running on the idle circuit at all. I haven’t had a chance to make changes and see if they help yet, but unless something’s screwy in the carb, that’s still where I’m leaning.
One way that happens is because the slide lifted too far to keep it idling because your idle mixture is way off or you've got too little ignition advance at idle.

This is where a vacuum or MAP gauge really helps. You adjust the air (mixture) screw to get the highest vacuum / lowest MAP. That normally raises your idle speed so you lower the slide to bring your idle speed back down and repeat the process as the lowered slide will change how the idle circuit / transfer ports pull fuel. When the transfer ports are pulling fuel the effect of the air screw is diminished.

It's kinduva a dog chasing its' tail process but that's how you get it right.

You also need to keep track of how many turns out the air screw is and change the pilot jet size so best idle is with the screw 1 - 1 1/2 turns out.

What cams are you running?