The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Craiglist finds
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 260
0 Resistor vs Copper plug wires?
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 180
7 Saying hello and getting acquainted!
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 15
0 First Startup after rebuild questions
Last Post: owlsplace
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Views: 47
14 Taking one for the team...
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 561
0 Happy Birthday Decman!!!
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 38
0 Need help with rear brakes for my wide tire project
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 58
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,621
Views: 822,908
0 beware of buzzards
Last Post: LLOYD883
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 132
0 Rear rocker cover?
Last Post: owlsplace
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 1,086
0 Happy Birthday Yellow Scooter
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Views: 57
0 23 years old just bought a 1980 XLH
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 174
0 Fat Bob tanks on a 93 Sportster
Last Post: Dshank14
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 356
0 1987 883 breather bolts are different?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 7
Views: 108
0 Code U1255 sputters and dies
Last Post: Grumpy-Biker
Replies: 25
Views: 752
0 Surging/lurching at low speed?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 84
Views: 3,456
0 Best Bang for your Buck Exhaust option?
Last Post: Leonis
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 386
0 vibration problem solved - CHECK YOUR FRONT ENGINE MOUNT BOLT!!
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 324
Views: 191,298
2 Humble pie
Last Post: Vohnsen
Replies: 38
Views: 2,653
0 S&S Super E jets for 74 XLCH
Last Post: seamonkeyz
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 501
0 08 XL1200N quick question/confirmation: 18" / 19" Rear Wheel On '08?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 318
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,849
Views: 960,117
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: Four Speed
Replies: 994
Views: 172,502
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 43,540
Views: 6,801,087
0 Been Sitting For 5-10 years; Starts, But Dies
Last Post: Feskerlars
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 29
0 In a crash: Lucky to be alive
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 1,488
5 77 Ironhead custom, rear brake cable
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 48
6 73 Sportster Starts, Runs Fine, Dies
Last Post: 4th of July
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 198
0 Flame's New 1989
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 556
Views: 78,500
More...
Members Birthdays
wallylach (68), cob (65), decman (63), djhannu (57), Vaughn, irishhog (50), dangjalopy (46), earthoverdrive (41), edman87k5 (40), 79iron (37), mr_anti_chrome, jessman14241 (34), jakevandike (28)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you are getting better.

If it where me I would try to walk each day a little farther. It will hurt however I think the healing should improve. Just don't over do it.
Old 1 Week Ago
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250s,tax paid
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
kkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant future

Thats great. Glad to see you are getting around better. It wont be long before you are riding.
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXST Softail Standard
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTF Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
Stairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond reputeStairman has a reputation beyond repute

Got to be ready for the Mile.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Observations From The Peanut Gallery

This morning, I woke up with a positive attitude. I knew that I was going to be able to ride today. The Universe was setting everything up just so that would happen.

I had slept late; yesterday had exhausted me, but when I woke up at 8:00, I felt fully awake. My legs are still pretty stiff, but it’s getting a little easier each day to get into and out of the bath tub to take a shower. My legs and feet are still swollen, but not as bad as they were. I was feeling pretty good. The best I’ve felt in weeks.

I had my coffee and called the radiology folks who sent me a bill for $1720.00. I got that sorted out, then I worked on putting my jump boots on. Once I’d succeeded at that, I went down to the garage and removed the highway peg bar from the Roadster. Then I went out to run a couple of errands.

First, I went to a meeting. I haven’t been to one in a while and I felt that I could use one to get my head straightened out. After that, I rode over to the quarter car wash. I went there out of pure laziness. I didn’t want to drag out the hose and wash the bike in the driveway. I had discovered that my knees weren’t up to me kneeling on them when I was pulling the highway bar, so I didn’t want to try to wash the bike with soap and a sponge but just hosing the bike down wouldn’t cut it either. I figured the high pressure soap and rinse would do a better job.

After I got the worst of the road mung off the bike, I rode over to the Cinema. I had looked online and seen that if I went to the 8:45 AM showing of Avengers: Endgame on Friday the 26th, I could get a seat in the handicap row, which is where I prefer to sit. So I went to the ticket counter and got a seat in my favorite location. Not only that, but because it’s an Early Bird showing, it was only six bucks. Incidentally, all the other showings for the weekend were sold out.

Then, I went to the supermarket. I wanted to pick up some frozen lunches while they were on sale. There were no electric handicap carts, so I just leaned heavily on a regular cart and got the lunches plus a few more items. It’s almost impossible for me to go shopping and get just what’s on my list. There’s almost always something that catches my eye. Like onions, so I can chop them up and use them on top of the Cincinnati style chili. But that means that I should get some Extra Sharp Cheddar to shred and put on top of the pasta, chili and onions. Good thing the cheese is on sale this week.

Anyhow, I made it home from my errands both exhausted and jubilant. I have to check out why the right front turn signal isn’t working, but that little bit of running around had whipped my butt. It took all my remaining energy to put the groceries away, so I took a 15 minute power nap.

Now, I’ve got some Beef Stew heating up on the stove for dinner. It’s 74* F outside, so I’ve got windows in every room open to let fresh air into the house. I feel very successful.

One thing I noticed while riding; the sorest part of my right calf is exactly where it rests against the air cleaner. Maybe the bike fell on me during the accident? That would help to explain why it sustained so little damage and why I feel like I was assaulted by an oversized meat tenderizer.

In any event, I’m healing and feeling a little stronger every day. I’ll be ready for Springfield!
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Great update John! Glad you are coming around! Ride on!
Old 1 Week Ago
Chief Master Mechanic

kkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant futurekkbii has a brilliant future

Thanks for the update. Glad you are smiling again. Now we need to get Joe riding again.
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
Chief Master Mechanic

Joe, hey Joe.
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Get your motor running, head out on that highway! Born to be wild, born to be wild!
Old 5 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

A Possible Destination Ride?

My brother David is a Roller Coaster enthusiast. He loves to travel to distant places on his days off just to ride roller coasters. He’s pretty heavily involved in the Coaster Enthusiasts club and he’s been making plans to drive out to their Convention this summer, which is going to be in southern California. Since he’s going to be traveling all the way to the west coast, he’s been making plans to possibly see some interesting things along the way.

Now, I’m at the point in my recuperation from my accident where I’m nowhere near completely healed, but I figure I should do a little more activity each day to help speed my body along. Today, I decided that I would ride over to David’s shop for a visit. While I was there, he showed me a potential stopping point along the way; Uranus, Missouri.

It’s a tourist trap, plain and simple; but let your mind dive into the lowest gutter it’s capable of falling into. It’ll probably not go quite as deep as the jokes that I saw on the monitor of the computer, when David googled it.

There’s a Fudge Factory and it’s staffed by members of the Fudge Packers Union, Local # 2. We were encouraged to try some of the Mayor’s favorite fudge - #2; it’s chocolate with crushed walnuts mixed in and it has candy corn sprinkled on it. There are also places like the Moonicorn and the Axehole. The place is weird enough that I’m almost tempted to ride there just to check it out. Of course, there are T-shirts, but I really don’t think I’d wear any of them.

Anyhow, David and I laughed quite a bit and I told him that it deserved a Snippet all of its own. I’m not really conveying just how funny we found it, but here’s a link so you can go check out their site yourself: https://www.uranusmissouri.com/

After laughing our asses off, my leg was starting to hurt again, so I got back on the Roadster and came home.

Maybe I’ll have the time and money to check it out after the September Springfield Mile? We’ll see.

Last edited by Crusty; 5 Days Ago at 11:53..
Old 5 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.uranusmissouri.com/

Ha! Excellent!
Little Willie missing from Uranus and Fudge Packer T shirts? no, i just could not wear one!

Good stuff!