The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 how to pull oil pump
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 2018 Custom 1200 (Red Light Came On)
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 86
0 EU Tariffs on HD - Moving Production Overseas
Last Post: felis
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 51
0 Turn signal failure
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 1,020
0 Battery draining problem when running, but generator and regulator work?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 189
0 Affiliate links gone for XLF Team Members
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 934
0 900 heads contd..
Last Post: chevelle
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 1,762
0 HAMMERPerf 90" In the Works
Last Post: Tinz
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,512
Views: 154,411
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40,534
Views: 6,219,219
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: Rico 05R
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 733
Views: 73,162
0 Hey Harley - How about those Tariffs?
Views: 17
0 Are you serious about flat track anymore?
Replies: 4
Views: 353
0 2018 East Coast Meet & Greet
Last Post: Jordan5150
Replies: 387
Views: 22,750
0 Rattling sound in Primary '92 1200
Last Post: canoli
Replies: 10
Views: 218
0 Oil Pump Hard to Spin
Last Post: Peteroo
Replies: 3
Views: 178
0 How many helmets?
Replies: 193
Views: 25,819
0 88" Flat Tracker Project
Last Post: A 4 liter V8 eater
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 933
Views: 126,447
0 Vigilink Affiliate Links
Views: 40
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 6,579
Views: 468,635
0 Starts in gear
Replies: 13
Views: 257
0 Welding the sprocket to the drum? Can that work OK?
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 6
Views: 265
0 Willi is back!!!!
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 15
Views: 3,431
0 Range With EFI 4.5 Gal Tank
Last Post: jzink0883
Replies: 138
Views: 48,752
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (EFIs)
Last Post: Hugh Jasol
Replies: 21
Views: 63,556
0 Hydraulic conversion for wet clutch
Replies: 10
Views: 497
0 From Tillitson to Mikuni VM38-9 vent tube?
Replies: 2
Views: 120
0 neutral problem
Replies: 4
Views: 102
0 Weld on hardtail
Last Post: Hugh Jasol
Replies: 19
Views: 408
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Rubber Mounts)
Last Post: stray
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 34,382
0 ParrotHead's Mods For My "New" Sporty
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 2,981
More...
Members Birthdays
richard rees (69), IRONHD1K (65), derekb (57), Hankrebel (42), CPurner (37), Vickers
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

TANSTAAFL

In the novel The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, Robert A. Heinlein coined the word Tanstaafl. Itís an acronym for There Ainít No Such Thing As a Free Lunch. Itís the term thatís running through my head this morning.

I got an e-mail from an old friend telling me how lucky I am after my last Snippet. Basically, I get to ride my bike around and go to all these interesting places and events, while he has to work to make enough money to get by. He has to make his mortgage payment and he doesnít even have a bike any more, while I have a house and motorcycles (as in several) and Iím free to travel.

Yes; I am lucky. I know that, but itís not all luck. Iíve made some serious compromises to live the life Iím living. Iíve learned to live on a shoestring budget. This house that I own costs me a sizeable chunk of my monthly income. I had to borrow money to buy it, which will take me 15 (now 14) years to pay back. Taxes on the house are almost as much per month as my loan payment, then thereís insurance. In the meantime, Iíll be paying off the new Furnace and A/C over the next three years. That eats up my entire monthly pension from the Union. My Social Security is enough to pay my monthly bills and expenses like food and gasoline for the Roadster; it also goes toward paying down the credit card. I had to run my balance up when I bought the house to make the house livable, and Capital One is more than happy to charge me 24 Ĺ% interest on the balance. That works out to almost $100.00/month before touching the principle.
Iíve also got a couple of health issues that cost me money. I have to see a Cardiologist and a Urologist on a regular basis. Thatís without needing to see a doctor for anything else. And Medicare doesnít cover all of it. Each time I see one of them, Iím paying an extra 50 or 100 bucks a month out for a few months.

As far as my vast collection of motorcycles, I have the Roadster, which is my transportation and I have Billís Ď78 XLH which I canít afford to get running. Itís sitting in the garage waiting for me to start on it. That probably wonít be for a while. The '79 in Australia is going to get sold, hopefully so Melia can get a bike of her own. It would require more money that I can come up with to get it running reliably.

I donít own a car. I couldnít afford one even if it were given to me. The insurance and licensing fees would put me in the red. I donít have cable TV. I have an antenna thatís stuck to the inside of my front window. That lets me watch the broadcast local stations.
I seldom go out to eat. Itís a lot cheaper to cook at home. If I go out once a month, thatís a lot. My budget is so tight that I can only afford a gallon of paint every couple of months. The house is getting transformed, but itís a slow process.

Almost all my furniture was given to me, as far as my yard tools, the mower was a gift and nearly everything else is on loan. I did buy a snow shovel last winter and a plastic leaf rake last fall.

Then thereís the biggest difference. I donít have a wife who loves me and would care for me if I got sick. I live alone. I tend to not let people get too close to me, so I have to pay the price for that.

You can look at me and see all the things Iíve got that you donít have, but I look at you and see what youíve got that I donít have. The grass is always greener in the other fellowís yard.

Iíve been very lucky along the way. Iíve had a lot of friends and family help me out. Iíve also had some really painful things happen. Life is like that. Just as your life isnít quite a bowl of cherries, neither is mine.

But Iím living life the way I see fit. I do my best to not hurt anyone and I glean what happiness I can find from what Iíve been given. I have my goals, dreams and hopes and I live to try to achieve all of them.
Sponsored Links
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

Being a kept dude aint so bad either Crusty. You just gotta be good at it is all.

I can relate some what. I had a bro in Elpaso who only wanted a girl for the week ends and to be left alone during the week. A bed buddy. When he got what he wished for. All of sudden. He wanted to keep her.
Something she was not looking for.

I abandoned my country ranch because of funding. It is paid for and taxes are paid. But is empty and dusty and critter infested. I folded and went with my girls plan. It hurt and was rough. But worked out in the end.

Sounds like your place fit your ticket in life also. Because you got old friends jealous who are more miserable with their lot in life.
Old 1 Day Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

The grass is very seldom greener on the other side of the fence.
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Your living your life as you see fit and that's all we should ever wish for.