The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 The Oil Leak Rabbit Hole
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 1,008
0 2020 Sportsters
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 999
0 Two small bearings (balls) in drain plug
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 914
0 I guess it''s true. (2019 The Last Year For The Sportster?)
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 106
Views: 4,254
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 745
Views: 20,349
0 First startup
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 23
0 1969 XLCH Speedo
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 150
0 what is the.... (883 top speed)
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 66
Views: 23,587
0 XLCH Sticker on front fork clamp cover
Last Post: mickey t
Replies: 12
Views: 289
0 Never seen this before...
Last Post: smac74
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 409
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,961
Views: 291,801
0 Sadly Leaving
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Replies: 10
Views: 191
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Replies: 443
Views: 84,736
0 Spark plugs
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 12
Views: 207
0 Another Sporty ADV Build
Last Post: shreksbro
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 361
0 New 2020 Sportsters!
Last Post: Clevspeed
Replies: 0
Views: 34
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 13,054
Views: 1,194,308
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,176
Views: 1,725,133
0 What have I done wrong? (Cleaned Carb, Now Won't Start)
Last Post: DYLAN
Replies: 18
Views: 377
5 VOES Vacuum reading after engine mod... where to set?
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Replies: 7
Views: 155
5 Replaced bad VOES... Engine sounds weird when hot and idle
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Replies: 8
Views: 240
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 2,205
Views: 183,868
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 44,709
Views: 7,028,891
0 wheel swap
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 146
0 Bike can't go over 75miles.
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 539
0 Piston ID
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 129
0 Analysis results on my run of Rotella T
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 101
Views: 28,859
0 1969 XLCH Pics
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Replies: 15
Views: 394
0 This is gonna hurt.
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,719
Views: 1,534,727
0 2020 Bikes listed on the HD website
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 648
More...
Members Birthdays
qrtsteve (65), NoRemorse (51), johnboy (50), bmonty72 (47), superscythe (46), arlen (41), Sonofnothing (35), grahamc (34)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Ted Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the rough
Default Of gears and mirrors

A vicious viral chest infection has kept me off the road for the past three weeks, otherwise I would have asked this a lot earlier.

I'm riding a 2002 Roadster with under 1,000 miles. The transmission shifts smoothly except when dropping into first from neutral. No issues dropping down from second when I'm coming to a stop, but when it first starts up - after filling the tank, stopping for coffee, emptying the bladder, that sort of thing - it just grinds something awful. Nothing seems to make it smoother, not gently rocking it backward or forward, not feathering the clutch, nothing.

It seldom happens that it sits in neutral, because I like to keep it in gear at stoplights, just in case the driver behind me is unaware of the red light because he just HAD to take that phone call. I like to have the option of that extra second to take evasive action. But the grinding sound is driving me nuts. Any suggestions?

And speaking of the driver behind me, how do folks find the stock mirrors? I can get a pretty good view of my shoulders and anybody passing me once they're in that lane, but I cannot quite seem to adjust them to show who is directly behind me. I haven't had this problem with my other bikes, and it makes me a little antsy at red lights. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Ted Town; 9th July 2019 at 21:35.. Reason: not done
Old 9th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

My first suggestion is ride the snot out of it.
With the miles so low could just be clutches sticking.

Secondly the clutch is probably adjusted too loose from factory ( this is common as they wear tighter) which if not set correctly will make it bang and clatter when going into 1st from neutral.

Another thing, which I would probably do, is drain the primary fluid and fill with Dex VI ATF for a few miles of constant clutch use, ( This is to clean the old oils from the clutch plates.) Some people like the feel better and just leave in ATF. but I don't like the harsh feel so I go back to factory fluid.

I would change the fluid because it is old and the miles are so low, never good for things to just sit and then run with original fluids.
The fluids are 8 years old if you haven't changed them.

Get out and ride that sporty.
Old 9th July 2019
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

^^What he said! Change the primary fluid, adjust the clutch, and stop worrying about what's behind you.
Old 10th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Seeing behind you is a factor of mirror location and stem length - and mirror location is a factor of style & size of handlebars... With my pull back bars, I can see directly behind me from both mirrors...

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 10th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Flipped mirrors,(swapped side to side mounted from the bottom up), give you a much better view to the rear at the cost of a small increase in time taken to glance down to them. I’ve tried many types and styles including extensions for the stems and have settled on “bar end” mirrors. Works for me.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 10th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883=>1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Cindy Dietz has a brilliant futureCindy Dietz has a brilliant futureCindy Dietz has a brilliant futureCindy Dietz has a brilliant futureCindy Dietz has a brilliant futureCindy Dietz has a brilliant futureCindy Dietz has a brilliant futureCindy Dietz has a brilliant futureCindy Dietz has a brilliant futureCindy Dietz has a brilliant futureCindy Dietz has a brilliant future

Harley sells (or did) extended stem mirrors. They look like the stock mirror but a longer stem to see more than your elbows. That is what I replaced my stock mirrors with.
IBA #23594
My Travel Blog

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cindydietzks/media/Maptraveled%202006_zpsicsgyx5w.jpg.html
Old 10th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Ted Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the roughTed Town is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everybody. I didn't know about the clutch settings, but it certainly makes sense about the fluids - 17 years is a long time to sit.

Flipping the mirrors sounds interesting, and cheaper than fiddling around looking for long-stemmed mirrors.
Old 10th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought a pair of long stem mirrors for £26, to replace my damaged long stem ones.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-S.../361791598173?
There must be similar ones over your side of the pond. The stock mirrors are useless!
Good advice on the oil change. Hope you do the engine and filter also!
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
xElvis has disabled reputation

I rode some while with my mirrors flipped, on low, almost drag bars. I found better visibility, until I loaded the bike with passenger or gear. Then I couldn't see anything. Mounted on top, I see my shoulders and or behind and to the side, not straight back.
New mid-height 8" or 10" bars, I have mirrors on top still because ... lazy.

To combat idjits behind me not stopping, I often aim the bike at a bit of an angle when stopping. This does a few things: 1. Bike is aimed more sideways, out of the way faster. 2. I am now a slightly larger target in their view. Yes, I know of target fixation, but I'm at least larger and thus easier to see. 3. I can look into one of the mirrors and see directly behind me, as my body is now not directly behind the mirror in the line of the lane.

Lastly, maybe you don't worry what's behind you, but I wanna keep my eyes on ALL of the idiots out there. I knew a guy who was stopped at a red, and taken out by a 35 mph taxi that didn't want to stop. He was lucky to be walking at all, months later. Thanks, but I'll stay just a bit worried.

Always remember to check that the nut between the handlebars and the seat is neither too loose nor too tight.