The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Last Post: Bryan1976
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 199
Views: 18,421
0 Late XLCH front end - any good?
Last Post: mikethebike61
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 448
0 Heads Up Display in your Helmet
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 147
0 Bike wobble question
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 21
0 what brand of spark plug do you use?
Last Post: glbsportster
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 343
Views: 86,023
0 One More Ohio Meet & Eat?
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 1,736
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Yakcm2
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18,348
Views: 1,089,008
0 How Do I Install An Inline Fuel Filter (Carb Model Rubbermount)
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 104
0 ADVICE?Is it supposed to look this cool or am I running lean?
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 11
0 Fyi
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 211
0 Gear Spacing Question
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 296
0 Any Teamsters?
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 84
0 Most common rattle locations?
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 652
5 about the 1999 Sportster Right Fork converting to dual brakes
Last Post: salmanmr
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 81
0 WTB: Mainshaft Thrust Washers
Last Post: ferretface
Views: 44
5 Favourite grips?
Last Post: glbsportster
Replies: 79
Views: 22,327
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 48,601
Views: 7,859,732
0 Any wealthy forum members?
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 11
Views: 235
0 Stock vs. Modified
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 293
Views: 100,839
0 New oil tank
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 47
Views: 3,418
0 Forward controls
Last Post: jsandidge
Views: 76
0 Iron Mike Comment on WTB/WTS Parts
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 12
Views: 509
3 86 To 03 HD Forward Controls, Modified To Fit 1980
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 13,560
0 too much oil in primary
Last Post: randy3934
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 627
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 68
Views: 15,563
0 Oil leak
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 2,033
0 1969 Shifter shaft bushing
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 370
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 23,058
Views: 2,350,969
0 What Carb
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 463
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: wachuko
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,202
Views: 2,219,713
More...
Members Birthdays
jdhickm (85), Chip (72), Chief4x4 (70), willyobiker (68), CBryant (67), XLCH69 (64), sage (61), Butch (61), VettesRule (58), jerseyjeff (58), TheExecutioner (55), SalTheWop (55), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (46), BluegrassXL (42), Superman

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2019
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 (90")
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 3 3/8" x 5"
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 CH engine in H frame
Other Motorcycle Year: 196?
RKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to behold
Default My 900: half-H, half-CH

I took my freshly build 900 for a 700 mile trip past Wednesday and returned home yesterday. I wrote a little bit on this bike in my 10-year old stroker build thread, but as a forum member noted it doesn't belong there, so I'm gonna start this thread.

There's nothing special with this bike, it's obviously not a restoration project, but it was build from parts and therefore I don't think it will be a shame for me to post it here.

The frame is a 1969 XLH, front fork is 1971-72 with a matching fender, gas tank came off my 1974 XLCH and has "Taiwan" stamped at the bottom of the tunnel, obviously the pipes are new aftermarket ones, and the head light visor is from a later model. Seat is OEM but I can't see a date painted on it, and seat mount kit is a modern aftermarket. Otherwise it's assembled of mostly 1960-70s stuff, 1957 left XL and 1967 right XLH engine case halves, 1965 cylinders and heads, early Axtell +.070 10.5:1 pistons, 1 3/4" R tullip exhaust valves, 1967 crank (that was rebuild), 1967 magneto, S&S GAL carb, internal throttle handlebars (don't know how to tell if they are OEM or not). Rear wheel is 18". Everything was rebuild/changed besides the swingarm bearings, magneto, handlebars and cam cover bushings.

I only rode it for 50 miles in the city before I decided to take it for a longer ride, not really knowing what to expect from it. I only had 2 minor problems - the camcover vent hose banjo fitting on the oil tank got cracked and started leaking, I lost about a quart of oil, but no big deal, fixed it with a teflon tape. The brass float of the S&S GAL got full in the middle of a trip, was pretty cool to see the carb actually pissing through the bowl vent hole. I was in a small city with a friend of mine, not in a hurry, so he found a small nail and I made a drain hole (the float was soljered before and probably had a tiny crak which I wasn't able to see). Then I drained the gas from the float and used a tiny piece of a rubber hose as a plug.

I really liked the solo seat. There was a part of the road with concrete pavement which alwyas gave me a really bad feeling of my kidneys wanting to jump out of the body. On my Evo sportster, equipped with aftermarket fork valves, Ohlins rear shocks and a steering stabilizer, those few miles were hell, but on an Ironhead I didn't even noticed where was that part of the road that used to give me such problems.

I have a pre-71 front fork on the way to me with a fender and bought a set of what looked to be a 1966-74 saddle bags with many craks and OEM mounting brackets. Also bought pre-67 shocks, so the rear fender will seat lower. Have to probably change the cams from Sifton -/- to stock P, find an OEM tach and a drive gear.

I haven't heard of anyone owning a 900 XLCH here in Russia, so even if there are any, I don't think there's a whole lot of them. Though our "know everybody" guys from the Harley crowd can't recall hearing of any of them here. Old Indians - yes, WLA - a lot, Shovels - yes, Panheads - yes, 1972 and younger Ironheads - yes, but not much of a 1960s Sportsters. Well, at least there's one here.

Old 1st July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
WingNut15B is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings bud. Good story, and nice bike. It's always good to hear someone going through great effort to keep the old irons on the road. Your story says you have the grit of a true "biker" as they would say- employing not a wallet or credit card, but wits and their hands to stay in the road. Alot of today's riders have truly lost what it means to be one. On the other hand, greetings from the USA. I've always respected Russians- A sovereign people from a sovereign country who takes pride in their homeland. Political riff raff aside, I'm going to Europe next year, and someday would love to visit Russia.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 1st July 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's a bike! I am impressed with your resourcefulness use of parts.

Sent with :-)
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Old 1st July 2019
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed reading your story about your IronHead

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 1st July 2019
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000 Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH 1000 Ironhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
Low Sporty has much to be proud ofLow Sporty has much to be proud ofLow Sporty has much to be proud ofLow Sporty has much to be proud ofLow Sporty has much to be proud ofLow Sporty has much to be proud ofLow Sporty has much to be proud ofLow Sporty has much to be proud ofLow Sporty has much to be proud ofLow Sporty has much to be proud ofLow Sporty has much to be proud of

Great Bike! You obviously know your way around a tool box! Very innovative use of parts, the ultimate "parts bike"! Regards, Low Sporty
Old 1st July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

I like it, it's a very nice bike Great story! Keep it running!
Old 1st July 2019
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883, now 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1959
Other Motorcycle Model: FLTR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
A Seabee has a reputation beyond reputeA Seabee has a reputation beyond reputeA Seabee has a reputation beyond reputeA Seabee has a reputation beyond reputeA Seabee has a reputation beyond reputeA Seabee has a reputation beyond reputeA Seabee has a reputation beyond reputeA Seabee has a reputation beyond reputeA Seabee has a reputation beyond reputeA Seabee has a reputation beyond reputeA Seabee has a reputation beyond repute

awesome bike and write up. thanks for keeping it alive!
Old 1st July 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond repute

I've also had the experience of getting a leak in a GAL brass float. When that happens it no longer is a float. Then you call it a "sink". I'm impressed you were able to find a fix for it while on the road. Well done.
Old 1st July 2019
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome from Thornton UK nice bike
Old 26th July 2019
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 (90")
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 3 3/8" x 5"
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 CH engine in H frame
Other Motorcycle Year: 196?
RKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to behold

Questions on the exhaust.

I currently have moders aftermarket drag pipes on the bike. I'm planing to replace them with 65230-65A mufflers that I got from ebay:

While the mufflers are sailing my way, I'm thinking on headers options. I have a set of aftermarket one-piece exhaust pipes that came with my 1974 bike. They have nice round bents, unlike my drag pipes (sorry, not the best pic, but they can be seen).

I was wondering if I could cut off the headers from that exhaust and use them with 65230-65A mufflers? There're OEM headers on ebay, but I can't clearly see from the pics if the ends of those headers have the same OD as in the middle, or are they slightly expanded (bigger OD). The headers that I can get by cutting the above exhaust have the same OD throughout their length.

Also, the mufflers are painted black - was there such thing as OEM black mufflers (couldn't find any pics) or someone painted them? I'm just trying to bring the bike to as much stock look as possible, while being on a strict budget.