The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 48,625
Views: 7,863,845
0 Big bore Stroker problem
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 709
0 Late XLCH front end - any good?
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 1,105
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23,117
Views: 2,357,105
0 New oil tank
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 68
Views: 3,890
0 Oil leaking
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 653
0 SE.536 cams, who has a set sitting around
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 73
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 18,374
Views: 1,091,136
0 Repainted my bike
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 30
Views: 1,893
0 XLCH chainguard
Replies: 2
Views: 51
0 Done for now (no really)
Last Post: tizard
Replies: 8
Views: 259
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 479
Views: 54,780
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: chilly
Replies: 216
Views: 41,640
0 Latest trip to dealer + comments...
Last Post: XL1275
Replies: 7
Views: 164
0 One More Ohio Meet & Eat?
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 2,152
0 It's Glamazon's Birthday!
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 12
Views: 417
0 newbie
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 10
Views: 93
0 Gear Spacing Question
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 739
0 Heads Up Display in your Helmet
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 15
Views: 444
0 Strengthening 73 rear shock structure
Last Post: mikethebike61
Replies: 12
Views: 408
0 FAF Sporties
Last Post: drgonzo21
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 210
0 Any wealthy forum members?
Last Post: 1200CustomHD
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 594
0 what brand of spark plug do you use?
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 349
Views: 86,309
0 front brake conversion single piston to 4 piston
Last Post: Full-Bore12
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 81
0 30 tooth pulley? For ‘04-06
Last Post: Mike1nw
Views: 254
0 Rare As Hens Teeth? (Stock Parts Secondhand)
Replies: 5
Views: 371
0 Disassemble tranny HELP
Views: 384
0 Reassemble engine
Replies: 2
Views: 164
0 1991 Manifold Bolt Trivia (?)
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 113
0 IH Crankcase Pressure and Engine Breathing
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 2,215
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
owlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor71 View Post
This smells too much like an ignition problem. And (like thousands before you) you've found you can somewhat compensate for a f^#ked up ignition system by playing with the choke. In your case, enricher. Thus it has you thinking it's a carb problem. And maybe it is. But I doubt it. You know your ride. You're there. I'm not.

Often times there's more than 1 thing wrong. So where does one start ? Here's what I'd suggest:
  • stop messing with the carb
  • verify your ignition system is functioning correctly. If necessary, check all major components. At a minimum:
    • check / set your point gap. On both lobes. I suspect your point gap has closed up, but ??
    • when was the advance unit last serviced & lubricated ?
    • set your advance with a timing light
    • verify your advance is set at 40° BTDC.
  • test your ride again
  • what's your motor telling you now ?
Troubleshooting the next problem should go a lot easier knowing the ignition is properly set.
With you on that one -- all new last year except the coil. Will recheck all that again from last year after the new coil goes on. Riding time is pretty much over for me this year anyway.
The timing issue on this motor is a definite problem.
Will require pulling the left cover and putting a dial guage on the crank.
You are the only one I know trying to use a strobe on these motors. Everyone else says no can do because of the oil splash issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS850GL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
jsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to alljsandidge is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsplace View Post
You are the only one I know trying to use a strobe on these motors. Everyone else says no can do because of the oil splash issue.

Get one of the clear plugs for the timing hole. And use a yellow paint pen on the timing marks. I recently used a strobe light on my 81. Once I figured out the correct orientation for the clamp on the plug wire, it was a piece of cake.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

owlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud ofowlsplace has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandidge View Post
Get one of the clear plugs for the timing hole. And use a yellow paint pen on the timing marks. I recently used a strobe light on my 81. Once I figured out the correct orientation for the clamp on the plug wire, it was a piece of cake.
Good to know. After all the time I put into this last year I still want to put a dial guage on this one. There were just too many issues that didn't resolve.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: xl1200cp
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
The Doctor71 has disabled reputation

Similar to what "jsandidge" suggested, this is the technique I use with a strobe light:
http://xlforum.net/forums/showpost.p...93&postcount=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsplace View Post
The timing issue on this motor is a definite problem.
Will require pulling the left cover and putting a dial guage on the crank.
ok, I guess I'm on the verge of being lost.

Do you have an aftermarket flywheel with unknown advance markings ? If so, I'm struggling to understand how you every got the motor timed correctly in the first place.

I wouldn't think a stock flywheel with the traditional factory advance markings would require removal of primary chain case & the use of a dial guage. If a dial guage is needed, I'll concede. I'm missing something. You'll need to educate us further
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:

...ok, I guess I'm on the verge of being lost.... If a dial guage is needed, I'll concede. I'm missing something. You'll need to educate us further
Will have to wait until I actually do it. Although I'm not the only person that had issues timing an '81 model.
This one was running when acquired and all attempts to time it using the marks failed so it was reset to its original position where it ran quite well.
I won't be happy until I see a mark on the flywheel at 40 degrees.
I don't have my own shop space so it may be a while.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: xl1200cp
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
The Doctor71 has disabled reputation

Understood.

This might help you (or frustrate you further). I dunno.
  • Find TDC on the REAR cylinder
    • remove both spark plugs & rotate the engine until you see the rear piston on the up stroke
    • insert a plastic straw into rear cylinder
    • rotate the engine some more until you hit TDC on the rear. (rock the motor back & forth to confirm you're at TDC)
    • remove the plastic straw
  • FRONT cylinder is now at 45° BTDC
    • the rule is (on an IH) the REAR cylinder is ALWAYS 45° ahead of the FRONT cylinder. (doesn't matter where the flywheel is in the rotation. REAR cyl is always running 45° ahead of the FRONT cyl.)
  • with a Sharpie, paint pen, or whatever, mark the flywheel (thru the timing plug hole) at 45° BTDC. (This is just for reference in case you rotate the flywheel a few times.)
  • slowly rotate the engine (forward) about the width of the timing plug hole
  • the 40° BTDC timing mark should immediately begin to show up in the timing plug hole. Highlight it with a different colored pen, if you wish.
The above should allow you to identify the correct 40° advanced timing mark for the FRONT cyl on a 1000cc motor. If this fails, then I dunno what you got going on for flywheel marks

I'm not a fan of static timing, but for those that insist on static timing...... do NOT try to static time your motor using the above WITHOUT verifying your FRONT cylinder is on compression stroke. aka your front cyl must be on compression stroke.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Understood.

This might help you (or frustrate you further). I dunno.
[list][*]Find TDC on the REAR cylinder
  • remove both spark plugs & rotate the engine until you see the rear piston on the up stroke
  • insert a plastic straw into rear cylinder
  • rotate the engine some more until you hit TDC on the rear. (rock the motor back & forth to confirm you're at TDC)
  • remove the plastic straw
[*]FRONT cylinder is now at 45°....

I'm not a fan of static timing, but for those that insist on static timing...... do NOT try to static time your motor using the above WITHOUT verifying your FRONT cylinder is on compression stroke. aka your front cyl must be on compression stroke.
This is good to know. I can certainly check this easy enough.
I have a degree wheel lined up ready to order so I'll add a clear plug and track down a timing light.
Another issue is the point backing plate varies the point gap as it is rotated so everytime you move it you have to recheck the point gap. It's not like a car where you could just rotate the distributor while it is running.
You gotta love Ironheads, not so much for the engineering but for what you learn about yourself while trying to restore one!
If I had a heated shop this engine would be on the bench for the winter.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

"point backing plate varies the gap" ? Meaning different gap from narrow lobe to wide lobe? That is something that needs attention, and is probably not the backing plate but the way the points cam seats on the #2 cam, or the hold down screw is slightly bent. Gotta check on that.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

If you are running points, the closer you get the points gap to be the same on both lobes the better your bike will run.
This is a critical adjustment and best not left to good enough as the timing on the rear cylinder can be way off otherwise.
This will affect all aspects of your tune from starting to WFO.

I lightly tap the bolt to center the points cam.
This is an old school trick not often shared.
I think this may have contributed to some of the rear cylinder mythology.
Few bother to check the spark timing on the rear cylinder, only the front.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

In the past I have seen where owners feel that the points plate is too tight of a fit in the nose one. Then relieve some material from the OD of the points plate to allow easier rotation. This allows the plate to move eccentrically, when setting the timing.
Perhaps take a look at the fit within the nose one. Should be “snug” to follow the axis.