The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,974
Views: 7,083,656
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,809
Views: 1,274,142
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 229
0 Andrews PB+
Last Post: the yukon sizzler
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,634
0 Headlight burning Out (Voltage regulator?)
Last Post: konqistador
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 239
0 ultima iggy plate near the end of travel
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 600
0 3.25x19? 90-90x19?
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 170
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: hhugger
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 4,902
0 Zenith Bendix check valve
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 178
0 Your Favorite Style
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 480
Views: 189,305
0 Sundowner seat positioning
Replies: 29
Views: 1,252
0 Have my cake and eat it too? 1275 + 570s + CVJ
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 76
Views: 1,953
0 CV carb rubber bung
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 221
0 Iree's late night cafe
Replies: 1,301
Views: 162,257
0 Grounded
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 159
Views: 7,213
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 2,358
Views: 196,531
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Replies: 57
Views: 1,494
0 Helmet poll
Last Post: Boil1337
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 827
Views: 154,181
0 1992 Schematic
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 3
Views: 106
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Boil1337
Replies: 6,345
Views: 814,568
0 I can not go up a Hill,WHY?
Last Post: broknluck
Replies: 43
Views: 2,183
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: Dave48
Replies: 1,015
Views: 231,487
0 What is it and Where (Wiring Other Tail Light And Turn Signals)
Last Post: broknluck
Replies: 18
Views: 841
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 65
Views: 5,036
0 Seeley Ironhead race bike
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 1,014
0 74 XLH disk brake lower anchor pin
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 53
0 Helmets Please...
Last Post: webman94
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 238
Views: 54,644
0 Clutch Spring plate poll
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 310
Views: 62,983
0 Mounting VM38-9 to 42mm manifold '65 XLCH
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 205
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,675
Views: 444,831
More...
Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (77), painter (70), motobob883 (67), rickxx (65), MRCLEEN (47), Wetcheez (46), hello_shoes (39)
Tags
harley, ignition, modified, vacuum, voes

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883-1200 Branch Build
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
groovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of light
Question VOES Vacuum reading after engine mod... where to set?

Got a 6" specked VOES because my old one went went bad. Noticed during riding fast all was good, but when slowed down and at stop sign and or stop light engine sounded like was over heating (after long ride), and or in advance for to long.

This is a slow mow of Vacuum gauge to show where Vacuum is at idle, and engine warmed up. VOES I bought is set to 6". After riding long distance I noticed I probably need to change the setting to a lower Vacuum setting cause of riding too much with ignition in advance has caused weird sounds like over heating etc.

Probably because VOES is set to high? Might need to adjust screw to lower than 5" vacuum?

Anyone want to provide feedback on this video of vacuum gauge showing vacuum during idle, and where to first possibly adjust the VOES first? Bike setup is in signature. CN't seem to embed in thread like I used to be able to do.

https://youtu.be/dntWQvw3SUU
883 XL Y2K - BLACK,Ported Manifold,HSR 42mm Carb,Branch #5 Ported 883 Heads,Bob Woods W8S 0.590" Cams, SE -0.050" Perfect Fit Pushrods,SE 1200 Ignition Module ,Vance & Hines Straight Shot Exhaust,07 SE Air Cleaner,SE 40,000V Red Perf Coil,883 Jugs Precision Bored for Branch 30º Domed Pistons,& One Big Smile ;o), ~83TQ, ~83HP for now.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

since voes is in the adv mode when running till you hit trip point, going to 5" only delays the sw to retard. i do not run voes at all! epa thingy!
vac reading is not of much help due to the way the cyls are filled. best to bench the voes and use vac gauge and meter to set.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

The Sportsterpedia section on the VOES has all that information:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...lectric_switch

What is typical vacuum setting, how to adjust it and other consideration...

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Land Speed Record

groovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of light
Question Need to adjust from 6" to possibly 4.5" Vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post
since voes is in the adv mode when running till you hit trip point, going to 5" only delays the sw to retard. i do not run voes at all! epa thingy!
vac reading is not of much help due to the way the cyls are filled. best to bench the voes and use vac gauge and meter to set.
Already did that first. VOES is set to 6" vacuum from gauge and used DMM.

Then hooked up a Y connector to connect the VOES and gauge at same time, and seen during idle (after warmed up) that it would trip the VOES... and seen a reading down to 5".

So technically it seems that during idle, it is switching back and forth from Advance to Retard possibly.

Which almost explains that my ignition is using the retarted curve more often when cruising... causing engine to get hot and ping. As seen in the sporsterpedia.com in the VOES section.

Quote "Also note, if the VOES switching point is set too low, it will remain on the more advanced curve too long under mid-load acceleration and pinging will occur. This is the reason that engines with upgraded performance should have their VOES switch point increased (switch at a higher vacuum level) to better match the capabilities of the engine."

Gonna try and change from set point of 6" to 4.5" and see if that helps.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

That idle speed seems really low - Do you know what RPM that is??

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Land Speed Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL2Relax View Post
That idle speed seems really low - Do you know what RPM that is??

My idle is always around 1000 RPM. The video link from starting post goes into slow motion in order to see where the dial goes on the vacuum gauge so to see how normally is running with vacuum. Bike was all warmed up before took readings.

Last edited by groovemeisterus; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:00.. Reason: More info
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

hummmm
the voes kills lead to reduce cyl heating
think something else is going on.
at idle, dropping to that low of a setting and tripping the voes sounds like a valve issue. if you have a leaky or sticking valve, it will pressurize the manifold, the wild vac needle swing points to that also.
run a leak down test
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Land Speed Record

Quote:
hummmm
the voes kills lead to reduce cyl heating
think something else is going on.
at idle, dropping to that low of a setting and tripping the voes sounds like a valve issue. if you have a leaky or sticking valve, it will pressurize the manifold, the wild vac needle swing points to that also.
run a leak down test

During a running Engine at idle, there will not be a smooth set dampened reading from the gauge. It will flow with the 4 stroke engine always changing. Ran this test when first learned about the VOES. Vacuum is never steady state. Just the set point overlapping by an inch of vacuum changing ignition curves is probably not ideal.

If you did the same with gauge, you would understand it's not a valve issue. Just simple erratic vacuum with pistons going up a down changing the pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

you need to snub your gauge.
the issue with hd is SHORT runner and off balance fueling and reversion when the valve closes.
it should not trip the voes
throw the gauge and meter on the machine and ride down the road and see what is happening under load.
my machine originally had map, went to ultima and voes. got rid of the voes due to clutch off ping issues and run rpm base timing. the voes is always trying to force adv on the engine. i had no issues with the voes doing as you say.

Last edited by bustert; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:53..
Sponsored Links
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Land Speed Record

Quote:
you need to snub your gauge.
the issue with hd is SHORT runner and off balance fueling and reversion when the valve closes.
it should not trip the voes
throw the gauge and meter on the machine and ride down the road and see what is happening under load.
my machine originally had map, went to ultima and voes. got rid of the voes due to clutch off ping issues and run rpm base timing. the voes is always trying to force adv on the engine. i had no issues with the voes doing as you say.

What I'm going to do. Plus cams can alter the vacuum also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk