The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Photos: King Peanut or Regular Peanut tank?
Last Post: rezchug
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 35,374
0 gearing is too high ?
Last Post: Ronan978
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 1,035
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6,148
Views: 781,546
0 New Harley Owner
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 6
Views: 37
0 no need to take off derby cover??
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 11
Views: 140
0 Motorcycle wash, would you?
Last Post: shanneba
Views: 235
0 ....1
Last Post: toe
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,925
Views: 289,969
0 Open relationships, swinging, threesomes, et al...
Replies: 141
Views: 28,731
0 Hawgfest Carlsbad NM
Replies: 3
Views: 89
0 Seat options for XL1200
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 2
Views: 46
0 Race Report (Short Video)
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 75
0 rattles like a can of bolts
Last Post: smilinbrad
Views: 140
0 3 pole Ig Switch numbers
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Replies: 5
Views: 80
0 Upcoming 1275 hammer upgrade carb choices
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 256
0 Collapsed lifter??
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 54
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Fridge
Replies: 12,341
Views: 1,124,124
0 Starter problem
Last Post: ryder rick
Views: 85
0 Cleaning OEM master cylinder
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 8
Views: 295
0 Removing oil pump
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 1,311
0 Tubeless valve stem
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 92
0 How to eliminate TSM on 2000
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 393
0 Primary will not seal
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 556
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: dieselvette
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 125
Views: 4,289
0 1982 Ironhead Washer Part
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 8
Views: 150
0 cscycle service Mt. Victory , Ohio
Last Post: dieselvette
Replies: 7
Views: 290
0 Leaking Head Gasket, Loose head bolts
Last Post: Blue Scoot
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 173
0 I need 33.4 internals!
Last Post: easyspeed
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 31
0 Peg Feelers - Yay or Nay?
Last Post: DRAGONLORD69
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 89
Views: 11,079
0 Clutchlite ramps with pictures
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 5,478
0 Tomatoes
Last Post: mick42
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 97
More...
Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (76), outlawreb (64), rabes56 (63), Bigmatt (61), Beaker666 (55), hippiemwc (55), wumm883c (53), 2wheeltodd (52), israel (47), XRWeasel (45), Stitch (42), Dekooy (36), Titaniumrust (36), Ameri-Deutsch (35)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

102 F

Today, when I went past the bank in downtown Hudson, the sign said 102 F. I think it was a little high, but I wouldnít be surprised if the actual temp was 100 F; it sure as hell felt like it.

Itís summer; itís supposed to be hot. I donít care for temps in the high 90s with the humidity over 50%, but Iíd rather have this than sub-zero temps with ice and snow. And even with the high temps, I did close to 100 miles running around on the Roadster.

Itís been an eventful and enjoyable week. I helped Ernie work on his Suzuki, met Kathryn for brunch (that lasted almost 3 hours - we couldnít stop talking!) Met up with the Wednesday night crew for pizza at the Chateau, went over to the shop for the day and had some fantastic pizza from a new joint called The Bridge. (Itís right across from Hardley-Ableson of Boston). Iíve spent a good bit of time riding around and rekindling memories. I rode past my apartment in Fitchburg, then, I rode past my old house in Leominster. I went by Medtronic today, even though I knew nobody was working. I had an Italian sub for dinner the other night. I got it with oil & vinegar, tomatoes, pickles, onions and hots. Thatís the way a good Italian should be made, and it was heavenly.

I tried to send five pounds of Kayem Natural Casing Franks back to Cincinnati, but the airline that the USPS was using rejected the package, so it came back. The good news is that I got my postage back. The $20.00 I spent on the dry ice is gone, and so is the money I spent on the hot dogs. UPS wanted $200.00 to ship the package, so I wonít have the Good Stuff waiting for me in Cheviot. I will have five cans of B&M Bacon&Onion Baked Beans along with three 16 oz. jars of Cainís Sweet Relish, though. Thatís what will fit in a medium Priority Mail flat rate box. David received those at his shop on Saturday.
I threw my back out the other day and It comes and goes. Iíll be fine for a little while, but then, my lower left back starts locking up. It happened while I was changing oil in the Roadster at the shop, and one of the guys there has been having trouble with his back, so he gave me a little tablet that helped tremendously. I never felt high, but the pain sure dimmed. That allowed me to ride in rush hour traffic for an hour returning to Hudson.

Iíve met up with and spent a little time with a bunch of folks; Jackie, Happy Pat, Johnny Donut, Kevin, Roland, Stephanie, Little Carol, Slow Bob and a few more. It was great to see them all.

Today, I went to the laundromat and washed my sleeping bag. It really needed a good washing. Itís been so hot, and Iíve been sweating so heavily, that it was developing a pretty strong stink. Hopefully, Iíll have time (and my back wonít stop me) tomorrow to set up the tent and wash it out with the garden hose. I wanted to do it today, but my back was hurting too bad.

New England is really pretty in the summertime; kinda like Upperstate New York; but a little nicer. (Iím not biased. Much.) I spent most of my riding today on very back roads. The ones without numbers as well as some with numbers. I went by Eriksonís Ice Cream (now in their 85th year!) and got a Sundae. Their own Strawberry ice cream, hot fudge and marshmallow Ė nothing else. It was delicious. I also rode over to my favorite waterfall and watched it for a few minutes. I rode past the farm in Sterling that has the Llamas and saw a couple out in the pasture. Went by Central Mass. Powder Coating. Theyíve done a few small parts for me in the past and always treated me fairly. In short, I was checking out all the good memories from times past.

I was hoping to head out on Tuesday morning, but the weather forecast is for rain showers starting tomorrow afternoon and continuing through Tuesday night. Iíll keep an eye on the various weather sites and make the call as the time gets closer. I could have left Cheviot a day earlier than I did, but I waited because of the forecast. Well; Iíll just have to play it by ear.

Iím glad I decided to make the trip.
Old 1 Day Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

You win the heat contest. It was only 82į here yesterday, although it gets a lot hotter starting Thursday.

Thank you for sharing!
Old 23 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Forecast today in upperstate NY is light rain until mid afternoon.
Old 19 Hours Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXLR Low Rider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2019
SLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond repute

Could be worse.

Temp on the Suburban showed 95įF, supposedly over 100įF heat index for a while down here, with the breeze we get, not all that bad, plus from around 2pm on some clouds for sure, usually thunderstorms and lots of rain.

Word to the wise, rear bolt for my seat on the 2019 FXLR seems to have abandoned ship, so I mention running to Harley Sunday to get a bolt. Wife asked if they had food there, I said I think a food truck, cheap beer free cokes, blah blah blah. so apparently, a $3 bolt can actually cost $200. Daughter and twin granddaughters got new clothes, too. Food was great, so....Oh well.

Next time I'll just sneak out.
Old 13 Hours Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Was the Harley price for the bolt, 3$?

I bolt one off Amazon that I can use my thumb on.
Sponsored Links
Old 13 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Scattered Showers

Itís kind of raining. It rains, then stops. It isnít drizzling, itís either raining or not. Itís supposed to do this for a few more hours, then turn into a steady rain through tonight and tomorrow.

So Iím doing little things to prepare for my ride back to Cheviot. I washed my sleeping bag yesterday, and I set up the tent in the back yard this morning and washed it out. The sun was shining when I did that, and the tent dried out after a couple of hours. Itís packed up and ready to go. Tomorrow, Iíll do one last load of laundry and Iíll pack the saddlebags and get everything on the bike so that on Wednesday, Iíll be able to head out without a lot of fuss.

Iím going to take US RT. 6 across Pennsylvania. I plan to camp in the Red Bridge Campground in the Allegheny National Forest. I donít know why, but Iíve locked in on that campground. I was going to stay there on my way to Weedsport, originally and now I really have the itch to stay there. Iíve never been there and there are several other campgrounds in the area, but thatís the one Iíve narrowed my focus on. I hope it doesnít disappoint me.

Iím not sure what route Iíll take from the campground to Cheviot. Google wants to route me the quickest way, which is I-80 to I-76 to I 71. Iím thinking that there has to be a more scenic route. Hold everythingÖ I think I just figured out a route. Rt. 66 down to US 322 east to Rt. 68 and stay on 68 until US RT. 22. Thatíll bring me right into the Cincinnati area. Hopefully, Iíll get to enjoy some scenic back roads as I head back home.

Riding on US Rt. 20 East from Auburn, NY reminded me just how beautiful some places can be. Now Iím hoping to see some beautiful parts of Pennsylvania and eastern/ central Ohio that I havenít seen yet. Iíve been on US Rt. 6 for a stretch through PA, but not as long a stretch as Iíll be riding this trip. I donít think Iíve ridden on US Rt. 22 at all. Itíll be interesting.

Itís funny how I have to battle my instinct to relax and ride the secondary roads. Iíve been a Point & Shoot kind of traveler for most of my life. But because Iíve made the effort, Iíve gotten to see some very interesting things and Iíve found the beauty of places that I thought were dull. This country is full of fascinating and magnificent places and some roads that are truly memorable. I might as well take the road less traveled and see them.

Well; thatís my plan for now. I wonder if Iíll stick to it?
Old 12 Hours Ago
Artist, rider, wrencher

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 (Bruiser)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 (Fiona)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTC (Ruby Lee)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Flame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond repute

FYI, Google maps has an "avoid interstate" option.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Gamertag, PS4: Bikerdude__