The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 are these siftons
Last Post: mct496
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Rebuilding and Tuning a S&S GBL carburetor
Last Post: mct496
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 78
Views: 2,343
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,349
Views: 460,229
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: Diogenes415
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 265
Views: 92,035
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 55,197
Views: 9,434,318
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 30,745
Views: 1,802,979
0 winding idle up excessively to start bike.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 53
Views: 2,707
0 Compensating sprocket.tighten and "pop!"
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 135
0 oil dripping fom carb
Last Post: maxedd
Replies: 0
Views: 31
0 Primary cover screws... Washers??
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 7
Views: 235
0 1979 1000xlh front drive (chain) sprocket tourque
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 3
Views: 100
0 Screamin Eagle heads
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 131
0 New to me timing mark
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 113
0 What's Wrong With My Bike
Last Post: PoodlePunche
Replies: 82
Views: 4,135
0 Clutch Went Out Of Adjustment - Grenade Plate
Replies: 36
Views: 1,724
0 why you can't be seen
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 12,535
0 What makes a Hugger a Hugger?
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 2,012
0 shifter shaft bent
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 901
0 time will tell, but...... (blacked out: fad?)
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 126
Views: 15,968
5 Are you married or single???
Last Post: AlexD
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 539
Views: 80,126
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 13,351
Views: 3,446,497
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 38,716
Views: 4,961,956
0 1200S Fork Slider Differences 1999 to 2000
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 295
0 Special tools
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 201
Views: 206,328
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 383
Views: 87,733
0 Dealer says, "Sportsters are just a Phase"
Last Post: handa700
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 478
Views: 51,738
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,401
Views: 1,234,684
0 Harley Hacks & Tech Tips - Build It Better™ - So Much Useful Info!
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 606
0 Clutch spacing 1979 1000xlh
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 133
0 video & pics
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,758
Views: 178,560
More...
Members Birthdays
1911Bronco, Blackbird (84), thai808b (67), Nathan71 (53), lucky-13 (51), Barndog (49), discobanjo (45), albana (43), pat5150 (38)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
DrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant future

Revision 4 is done and the bike is up and running again.

A lot of thought went into this; I spent a lot of time reading comments and getting feedback from damn near every corner of the internet, from forums, Facebook, YouTube etc. I knew based off what I read that people didn't like the fact that the air filter was so close to the rider, so the first order of business was to move the setup forward. Additionally, I wanted to at minimum double the plenum volume, while also making sure that the intake ports are still the lowest part of the Coldside, which was tricky.

Not wanting to introduce a bunch of additional bends into the system, I decided to rotate the compressor housing 90*, so it now faces the ground. This allowed me to increase the length of the pipe leading to the compressor housing by 8". The plenum volume has gone from 200cc to 800cc. I switched to a Sifton intake manifold which also has noticeably more volume on the inside than the stocker (probably about 100cc, just a guess through).

As far as driveability goes; On Revision 3, the previous setup, there was a leak at the connection between the turbo/coldside pipe, and it was large enough that it would drip a drop of gas every now and then. Knowing that I was going to change the setup anyway, I just put a richer pilot jet in the bike until I could get around to fixing the leak. AFR's were high 15's low 16's during cruise, which is obviously too lean. I had to also open up the Thunderjet a full turn and a half to get the AFR's at WOT back down to 11.2-11.4.

I figured that it was the only leak, but I was wrong. As I was pulling off the old setup and prepping for Rev 4 fabrication, I pulled off the intake manifold and went to remove the hobbs switch (which was tapped/screwed into the intake manifold via NPT threads), and it wasn't even finger tight! It was literally 1/4 turn from just straight up flopping out. Solid mount vibrations strike again!

Here's the reason for me explaining this; you'd expect to see the AFR's at cruise come down considerably after fixing the vacuum leaks (they did, down to 13.8-14.2, 2 full points) in addition to having to back off the Thunderjet (main jet) the 1.5 turns that I made previously. However, at Wide open throttle and on only 6PSI, I had to OPEN the thunderjet another full turn. The jury is still out on how much power it picked up, but I will say that this is the strongest the bike has ever felt on this low of a boost setting, and that's while it's 110 degrees out!

Cold start seems to be the same, throttle response off idle has dulled slightly but as of right now I'm very happy with how this has come together. So much more legroom, more power, everything is really starting to come together now. Just need to add a small heatshield and here on out, Revision 4 is probably going to be the final revision. Test and Tune begins tomorrow, see you soon!

-Jimmy
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 1984 KX 125
cycowrencher has a reputation beyond reputecycowrencher has a reputation beyond reputecycowrencher has a reputation beyond reputecycowrencher has a reputation beyond reputecycowrencher has a reputation beyond reputecycowrencher has a reputation beyond reputecycowrencher has a reputation beyond reputecycowrencher has a reputation beyond reputecycowrencher has a reputation beyond reputecycowrencher has a reputation beyond reputecycowrencher has a reputation beyond repute

Have you done a Dyno pull yet?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

DrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant futureDrMotorcycle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycowrencher View Post
Have you done a Dyno pull yet?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Negative, still some changes I want to make before doing that. Also probably going to wait until it's not 110+ degrees here in Az as well, doesn't seem like the greatest time for dyno pulls, ya know?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Update - Bike is running pretty good now on 9PSI, it's just so scorching hot that it seems unwise to raise the boost any higher than it currently is. Also, during Rev 4 fabrication, my Argon tanks were getting low, meaning that I could either slightly modify the current header, or get both of my tanks filled and do it the way I really wanted to (primaries away from the intake pipe reducing heat, 2.25" collector instead of 1.75" collector). Decided to take the easy way out, now I'm regretting it. Looks like there's going to be a revision 5 after all.

Without sounding too much like I'm trying to pat myself on the back; I'm giving up a lot of $ here in terms of lost revenue to keep testing and improving. Between YouTube, Facebook and Instagram, I've Have had about a dozen people reach out that are in the "I'm ready to buy right now" camp that I've turned down, solely because I'm not yet satisfied with where it's at. Thought Rev 4 was going to do it, now I'm thinking Rev 5 is the Ticket.

See you soon
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
Medyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to behold

your build looks great! Let me know if you’d be interested in fabricating pieces for a n early 900 ironhead. I have a b-25 and hsr-42 that should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medyo Bastos View Post
your build looks great! Let me know if you’d be interested in fabricating pieces for a n early 900 ironhead. I have a b-25 and hsr-42 that should work.

PM sent.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:

Your inbox is full, I can fabricate a setup for you if I have the bike in my home shop here in AZ.

-Jimmy
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
Medyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to beholdMedyo Bastos is a splendid one to behold

im not sure why Tapatalk says my inbox is full. I literally have 3 messages in there. I’m not able to send you a message either

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Shadow
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
IronHeadRon has disabled reputation

It's probably your sent messages, also conversations get collapsed. I'm guessing a premium membership solves it, otherwise email eachother or clean out all the box's (not just the inbox) if you wish to talk shop privately

Don't worry, I'll keep it on the low down your selling BLOW openly online. I just hope no one's bike overdoses (get my lame pun, huh huh, get it)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
im not sure why Tapatalk says my inbox is full. I literally have 3 messages in there. I’m not able to send you a message either

My e-mail is doctormotorcycle@hotmail.com