The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 15,147
Views: 1,440,657
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 1,021
0 Head Porting 101
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 53
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,574
Views: 7,194,371
0 98 Stator Removal / Inspection / Installation
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 68
Views: 2,003
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14,383
Views: 807,136
0 SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 290
Views: 82,008
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 139
Views: 10,985
0 is a buell a harley
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 169
Views: 20,660
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Coz
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,594
Views: 222,189
5 HAMMER vs NRHS vs S&S Conversion Kits
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 86
Views: 6,823
0 Do you have the service manual?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 759
Views: 198,839
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 2,613
Views: 345,958
0 tubing strength if pressed?
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 6
Views: 103
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 61
Views: 8,775
0 69 oil pump breather timing mark
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 194
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 585
Views: 175,709
0 DK Custom-Parts Info, Testing, & Results w/ Pics & Fun-to-Read Ride Reports
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 3,711
0 Blackstone HyperTek
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 171
0 Request for recommendations: Sissy Bar for chopped fender
Last Post: HUEMAN
Replies: 0
Views: 36
0 Is it a carb issue
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 9
Views: 164
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: HUEMAN
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,026
Views: 237,170
0 On starting a new thread
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 29
Views: 747
0 The country store
Replies: 372
Views: 25,665
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,934
Views: 917,712
10 how low do you let it idle
Last Post: night-train
Replies: 44
Views: 7,146
0 Iree's late night cafe
Replies: 1,344
Views: 171,902
0 Electric Harley sub-forum(s)...?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 11
Views: 262
0 Charging cell phone when camping?
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 66
Views: 19,491
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,798
Views: 478,370
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Hours Ago
Asgardian

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Chris Craft 32
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Navigating LAX sucks
Once you get the hang of it....it's not so bad
Old 9 Hours Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of old time hockey!
Old 2 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

The Hour of theÖ Dingo?

Itís 4:00 AM. Iím wide awake and have been up for an hour. I went to sleep around 8:00 or so and slept soundly in the recliner, but I woke up at three and couldnít get back to sleep.

I arrived here yesterday morning at 6:00. It took me over an hour to get off the plane, collect my checked bag and get through customs. Melia was waiting at the airport and we got in the truck and headed west. Thereís a new tunnel through the city and it makes getting to the airport a lot easier and faster. Melia had to make a couple of stops along the way to pick up items like chicken feed (sheís got a bunch of chickens) plus picking up some items for a friend at the friendís momís house. We got back to the farm and I saw a few changes. Thereís a house on the next property that wasnít there when I was here four years ago. Thereís another cell tower on the other side of the hill from the one that seems to be a lightning magnet, but the biggest change is how dry and brown everything is.

This area has been in a drought thatís been going on for two years. Everything looks either dead, or barely holding on. I thought it looked pretty arid when I was last here, but now, itís looking more like a desert. Melia said that the long term forecast is for rain in January. I hope itís a light, steady, soaking rain. Mother Nature being a cruel mother, though, itíll probably be a deluge that causes massive flooding. This area really need that slow soaking rain, so that the water will have time to penetrate the ground and bring the water table up. A deluge will cause massive problems with flooding and erosion, etc, but it wonít have time to sink in and get absorbed.

Anyhow, back to yesterday, we got back to the farm and I walked around with Melia and watched her feed and water the chickens and the horses. I got to say hello to the dogs. Iím pretty sure that Titan remembered me. He was very enthusiastic in his greeting. I got to meet Snoop for the first time. He seems to be a friendly enough dog. Heís little; a Dachshund mix of some sort. Titanís a Rottweiler and Juniperí a Great Dane. I donít know why, but I really like Titan. Some dogs just click with me.

Once the animals were fed and watered, Melia and I went into town. We stopped at Meliaís bank so I could change my US dollars for Australian dollars. We then went to the Cafť 33 where I had a magnificent Flat White coffee. Theyíve improved the Cafť 33 since I was last here. Some new tables and chairs and theyíve installed air conditioning. A/C here isnít like A/C in Cincinnati. I think it was maybe 2 or 3 degrees cooler in the cafť than outside. Then we hit the supermarket. Melia is a similar shopper to me. I usually go into a store to get one or two items and wind up with a cart full. Oh; shopping carts arenít called that here; theyíre called trolleys. Also, all four wheels pivot freely, not just the front two. Pushing the trolley around the store became an exercise in controlling motion. It also showed me how easy it is to spend money here. I was trying to do money conversions in my head, but prices are definitely considerably higher here than back home.

Living in Cincinnati, I tend to be aware of gas prices. Gasoline here is really expensive. Itís averaging $1.65/liter. After converting Aus to US Dollars and Liters to gallons, it works out to roughly $4.58 a gallon in US Dollars. Thatís for regular. I didnít price Premium or Diesel.

I was a zombie yesterday and just endured the day. I had to fight off sleep a few times because I felt that I wanted to get used to the time here as quickly as I can. I was mostly successful.

We went out to a small restaurant in Gatton for dinner and watched a magnificent sunset. The sun was a beautiful orange/red ball that I could look at without hurting my eyes. The smoke from the fires, combined with the dust in the air made that possible, but as pretty as it was, Iíd much prefer a sunset that wasnít so pretty for some rain and a greener landscape.

The sun goes down early here; it set around 6:30 and it was dark when we got back a bit after 7:00 we sat and talked until Melia started laughing at me; I was nodding out in mid-sentence as we were talking.

I didnít take any pictures yesterday. Hopefully, Iíll bring the camera with me today and get a few. Even with the drought, there are some beautiful flowers here. The Flame trees arenít as incredible as they were four years ago, but thatís only by comparison. And I saw some Bougainvilleas that were astonishingly brightly colored. And, if we go to the bakery in Fernvale, Iíll take a picture of a great steak sandwich. At least, I hope itís as good as it was last time.

Oh; just for the record; itís light enough to drive without headlights at 4:30 AM here.
Old 1 Hour Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1250X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Davo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully youíre getting more for breakfast than a dingo..