The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Superlow XL1200T tyres.
Last Post: lucifer_mr2
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 7
0 Worst Harley rider ever.
Last Post: crazyphuzz
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 211
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,515
Views: 152,650
10 New rider - XL1200S in Aus.
Last Post: JacksBrother
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 2,019
0 Lots of issues 78
Last Post: Mrhorn12
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 148
0 New to the Harley Brand
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 179
0 What's your helmet?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 2,567
0 Yetman drag frame
Last Post: Slojoe55
Replies: 31
Views: 11,177
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 226
Views: 16,079
0 Sizing cylinders too pistons
Last Post: Yakcm2
Replies: 11
Views: 415
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 5,290
Views: 584,946
0 Shovester Sighting
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 7,251
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 41,221
Views: 6,320,441
0 1998 Sportster Ignition Problems
Last Post: james69
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 705
0 Starter circuit without relay
Last Post: ChicagoSlim
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 107
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: kk38k
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 1,039
0 I finally learned how to work the system!
Last Post: Ranchero50
Replies: 8
Views: 250
0 Broken exhaust stud questions.
Replies: 7
Views: 245
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,582
Views: 207,817
0 What coil(s) do you run with your Dyna S ignition?
Last Post: stanroyal
Replies: 7
Views: 163
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 2,723
Views: 246,054
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,594
Views: 559,246
0 Carb
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 15
Views: 453
0 Issue until up to temp
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 17
Views: 522
0 1981 XLH turns over won’t start
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 5
Views: 64
5 Legendary Jerry Branch on Gearing quote and question...
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Replies: 0
Views: 56
0 77 idling
Last Post: fbroos73
Replies: 2
Views: 88
6 Asgardia Regional area
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 372
0 Sportsterpedia Progress
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 164
Views: 32,619
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

I have used these quite successfully. I have never needed an equaliser or any other such thing. Just plug and play. Nothing brighter. Never a problem. Search the site carefully and you will find motorcycle specific tail lights and more...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/motorcycle/

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 1 Week Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Len PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Len, I fitted one of these to my Monster about 18 months ago.

It's astonishingly bright; maybe even a little anti-socially so in dark, wet conditions. Clearly visible even in bright sunlight.

It does get warm - but I don't think as hot as an incandescent bulb; hasn't melted the lens yet.

I tried several variations; this was far better than the "clusters of regular LED" versions, and the projector lens seems to greatly increase light output directly behind.

LOL; I just checked - same item still available, same seller - half the price they were; now $9 a pair...
What color was the lens?
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph TR6
Other Motorcycle Year: 1960
spuggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len PA View Post
What color was the lens?
Len,

The lens on the tail light is red. The projector lens on the LED is clear, and the LEDs are red.

This hopefully makes it clear; note that most of the "bulb" assembly is actually ally (first attempt at posting images; this may take a while....)

I was a little concerned that it might be too directional on the light, so it wouldn't be obvious unless you were directly behind it - I've noticed that with some factory LED lights, both tail and indicator, on some new cars.

However, the side LEDs seem to light up the whole tail light (probably as almost much as a regular bulb), and then the light from the projector/diffuser lens itself is very bright - because there's a pretty serious LED behind it...

There's no dedicated anything for brake; the whole thing lights up; when you test for brake light functionality, it just gets 4-5x brighter...

I'd take the power claim with a pinch of salt; these are often lies/misleading/fantasy.

25W LED headlights are like, 4000, 5000 lumens - I don't think this is quite that bright... But it's hard to miss.

Last edited by spuggy; 1 Week Ago at 17:59..
Old 1 Week Ago
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: cb450
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
cxf is a jewel in the roughcxf is a jewel in the roughcxf is a jewel in the roughcxf is a jewel in the roughcxf is a jewel in the roughcxf is a jewel in the roughcxf is a jewel in the roughcxf is a jewel in the roughcxf is a jewel in the roughcxf is a jewel in the roughcxf is a jewel in the rough

I just checked back in my maintenance history and see I replaced my old rear bulb with an LED back in 2007, same one that Mick posted info on. I too did not add any "equalizer" and it has been functioning perfectly since. Don't remember the cost though.
Old 1 Week Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Len PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to beholdLen PA is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Len,

The lens on the tail light is red. The projector lens on the LED is clear, and the LEDs are red.

This hopefully makes it clear; note that most of the "bulb" assembly is actually ally (first attempt at posting images; this may take a while....)

I was a little concerned that it might be too directional on the light, so it wouldn't be obvious unless you were directly behind it - I've noticed that with some factory LED lights, both tail and indicator, on some new cars.

However, the side LEDs seem to light up the whole tail light (probably as almost much as a regular bulb), and then the light from the projector/diffuser lens itself is very bright - because there's a pretty serious LED behind it...

There's no dedicated anything for brake; the whole thing lights up; when you test for brake light functionality, it just gets 4-5x brighter...

I'd take the power claim with a pinch of salt; these are often lies/misleading/fantasy.

25W LED headlights are like, 4000, 5000 lumens - I don't think this is quite that bright... But it's hard to miss.
Thanks, spuggy, for your help. I see them on ebay, however the specs for length is 55mm ( 2 3/16'), length on a 1157 incandescent is 2'. Not sure if it would hit the red lens. My tail lite also has a clear glass lens on top for the license plate, don"t how the LED would affect that.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph TR6
Other Motorcycle Year: 1960
spuggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks, spuggy, for your help. I see them on ebay, however the specs for length is 55mm ( 2 3/16'), length on a 1157 incandescent is 2'. Not sure if it would hit the red lens. My tail lite also has a clear glass lens on top for the license plate, don"t how the LED would affect that.
Well, two of your concerns are easily addressed:

My XLCH tail light lens has a good 1/2", probably slightly more, clearance on the bulb length. So don't expect that'd be an issue. The LED bulb is only a fraction longer; 5mm looks about right.

Good point on the plate illumination; perhaps just buy a 70W white one instead of the 30W red one?

However, did hit an unexpected snag.

The ally body of the bulb won't go into the RH55 bulb holder. Won't go deep enough to locate the pins, because the ally ring is wider than a "real" glass bulb at that point.

Doesn't look to be fouling by much, could prolly get enough depth to engage the pins with a rough file and 2-3 mins shaping a bevel on that first knurled portion there - but it does definitely foul and won't go in.

Bizarre, that wasn't a problem on anything else I tried this bulb in...
Old 1 Week Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
robistro is a name known to allrobistro is a name known to allrobistro is a name known to allrobistro is a name known to allrobistro is a name known to allrobistro is a name known to allrobistro is a name known to allrobistro is a name known to allrobistro is a name known to allrobistro is a name known to allrobistro is a name known to all

I installed thes in the tailight on my 04 and so far the brightest bulb I've had. Theyre also available in 1157

[https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075484Y9X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/URL]

[https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Extremely-Chipsets-7528LED-Brightest/dp/B01H55JGMU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=153403278 5&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=luyed+1157&psc=1[/URL]
Old 1 Week Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
... My tail lite also has a clear glass lens on top for the license plate...
SuperBrighteLEDs.com has specific bulbs for motorcycle tail lights. These have red LEDs facing rear, plus white LEDs facing both up and down so they light up the plate wherever it may be, above or below. You may have to do some tedious searching to find them on their website, unless it is now better organised than it once was.

Note that some [many?] of their LED bulbs come in both narrow and wide angle versions. I use the narrow angle ones for running lights [seen from farther away] and the wide angle ones for turn signals [so they better light up the lens].
Sponsored Links