The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Active Threads
0 Who Runs Turn Signals?
Last Post: glbsportster
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 370
Views: 76,675
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,997
Views: 953,588
0 su carb question
Last Post: trappnman
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 1,474
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 76,218
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Yakcm2
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,664
Views: 881,738
0 Touring on a Hugger
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 34
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16,893
Views: 1,676,513
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 471
Views: 115,822
0 Magneto base for 70 XLCH
Last Post: Pickss
Replies: 1
Views: 74
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 140
Views: 6,050
0 Too HOT to ride?
Last Post: Skeezix
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 347
Views: 28,107
0 Figure Machine external breather
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 8
Views: 145
0 Bigger rear Pulley
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 10
Views: 179
0 Trans corner fix
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 20
Views: 1,179
0 Bike not started for 5 years
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 9
Views: 258
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 2,895
Views: 251,321
0 Krome Werks HP Plus slipons - Replacements ?
Last Post: npaisnel
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 334
0 im sure its been done to death trans fluid
Last Post: burely
Replies: 14
Views: 656
0 TC88a DIY Power adapter ?
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 28
Views: 1,303
0 never mind
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 144
Views: 11,441
0 high milage sportsters
Replies: 8
Views: 196
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 6,591
Views: 891,329
0 flat earther bites dust trying to prove the earth is flat
Last Post: glbsportster
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 201
0 Front brake calliper strange noise...
Last Post: TUCCI
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 139
0 Official XLForum Poll: What kind of bars are you running?
Last Post: Clevspeed
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 660
Views: 155,566
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 46,399
Views: 7,376,429
0 How tricky is it to replace dipstick trim from oil tank?
Last Post: TUCCI
Views: 718
0 Stock wires for coil relocation
Last Post: orvitarius
Replies: 2
Views: 116
0 Hi from Barcelona!
Last Post: orvitarius
Views: 554
More...
Members Birthdays
stroker ace (80), beunme (60)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

A Day In The Life

On Thursday, R.D. called me and told me he wanted to come down to Cheviot. He’d read my Snippet about working in the yard and had a few yard tools that he wanted to give me. Tools that he had multiples of and wanted to get rid of, but didn’t want to just throw away. He also wanted to take me out for lunch.

So yesterday morning, he arrived with a bunch of tools. A sledge Hammer, an axe, a mattock, a yard rake and a Sawzall with an assortment of blades. He also brought me a very pretty double bladed hatchet made by Estwing. I gave him the “Grand Tour” of the back yard and showed him the 78, which doesn’t really look that impressive down in the basement. R.D. had helped me unload it from the U-Haul truck when I moved all my stuff from Taxachusetts to Cheviot and he remembered the floppy handlebars and the fact that it had no front brakes. Both of those issues have been dealt with. We sat and had a cup of coffee and shot the bull for a while, then we headed out for Velvet Smoke.

When we got there, we both had the same thing; Burnt Ends and BBQ Beans. He really liked it a lot as, of course did I. I hadn’t been there since last summer and my memory about how good they were had faded a bit. They were wonderful! I knew that I liked them, but I had forgotten just how good they really were. The beans were also very good. I had Lemonade to drink and when we finished, I felt like a satiated, overstuffed zombie.

We came back to the house and spent a very pleasant afternoon in conversation talking about a wide variety of topics ranging from politics to farts (almost the same thing) to stories from our past. Just a good old fashioned Rap Session. It was the kind of day that brings to mind Ralph Waldo Emerson’s line that, “The way home from a Friend’s house is never long”.

R.D. left just after sunset and I had quite a bit to reflect on through the evening. One of the things I was thinking about was his comment that while he liked the BBQ from Woot’s (which is no longer in business), he felt it was just OK. I had loved it. But then I remembered that Mark hadn’t been impressed with the BBQ from Jim’s Smokin’ Que, while I think the ribs there are some of the flat out best I’ve ever tasted. So I came to the conclusion that BBQ falls into the same broad category as Pizza or Chinese Food.

I love good Pizza, as do most other people. However; the word Good is highly variable. My ex and I had different preferences when it came to Pizza. There were some places that I liked a lot, but she was only lukewarm about, and vice versa. There were only a couple of places that we both agreed on, but when we did, the Pizza was invariable superb. Then somebody else would tell me that the pizza from that place was garbage and they preferred pizza from someplace that I considered mediocre, at best.

The same holds true for Chinese. I’ve gotten food from some places that I loved, that others thought sucked. And the opposite holds true, as well. In my home town of Waltham, I liked the food from one place (whose name I can’t remember) a lot. And when Chinese food came up in conversation with my friend Bill, he had nothing good to say about it at all. I discovered that opinions on Chinese food were variable depending on the individual. Sometimes the best came from the little dive that looked like a Ptomaine Palace, and sometimes the beautiful upscale restaurant’s food sucked.

I could also extend this to helmets, but that would be getting even farther off from the original topic.

So, to get back to yesterday; R.D. and I had some great BBQ for lunch (which we both agreed on) and a very good Bull session that lasted all afternoon. And I have a bunch of new-to-me yard tools that will make working out back more enjoyable.

It was a Very Good Day.