The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Paying Taxes
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Paying Taxes Got questions, tips or advice???

Active Threads
0 question about new trans door
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 119
0 Multiple timing marks?
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 19,039
0 Where were the IronHead sportsters Made.
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 354
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14,313
Views: 804,323
0 98 Stator Removal / Inspection / Installation
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 559
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,587
Views: 341,499
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,022
Views: 1,422,331
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,385
Views: 1,818,922
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 21
Views: 927
0 Full face, Half or skull cap?
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Replies: 502
Views: 93,355
0 BMW reverse trike build
Replies: 4
Views: 95
0 Anti reversion “muffler”
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,305
0 Cometic Valve Stem Seal Install?
Last Post: BlackBikeDave
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 213
0 diagnose noise in engine after rebuild
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 481
0 Handlebars
Last Post: decman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 100
0 .551 Cams in an EFI 1200
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 76
Views: 4,428
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 2,573
Views: 219,363
0 Best Battery Maintainer and/or Booster?
Last Post: stikflote
Replies: 29
Views: 1,155
0 1200 conversion
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 119
0 Do you blip the throttle when downshifting?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 462
Views: 79,619
0 Derby cover
Last Post: RussW
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 154
0 THE Hockey Thread
Last Post: XL Ed
Replies: 4,038
Views: 270,380
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 1,335
Views: 169,938
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,493
Views: 7,182,532
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 860
Views: 35,182
0 What got you into bikes?
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,206
0 White Letter Tires
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 8,009
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: Tonyb65
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,119
Views: 318,107
0 Valve stem seals
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 2,012
More...
Members Birthdays
vlmuke, wazza (48), Grizzwold (44), roaldtm (39), redtacoma31 (34)
View Poll Results: Have you done a stage 1
Yes 1,071 71.12%
No 435 28.88%
Voters: 1506. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2017
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

I was very unimpressed with Cobras on my '72'; they were marginally (only!) better than worn out Dunlops. I've been very happy with ME880s in the past.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 2nd December 2017
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

Also heard reports of Cobras splitting, I'll give them a miss myself. Avon used to make great tyres, 41 years ago Roadrunners transformed my Honda 500/4 from a foul handling wet weather death trap into a decent handler when I also put Girling shocks on
Old 30th December 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Laser Nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Stage I will improve performance, but more importantly, your bike will breathe better, exhaust better, run cooler in the Tropics of Florida which is saying something. Run cooler? That statement is based upon an oil-tank reading, and that said, I don't see 210 degrees F, be it in Florida where I live, or across the Mojave Desert on the way to visit my blood-family in California, Paso Robles. Your bike will be happier with Stage 1, so will you. ThunderHeader and that plastic part removed from the "ham-can", K&N filter installed, no re-map necessary on the fuel-injected bikes. that was my Stage 1, and it was done to the bike by the local Harley Dealership, brand new bike, zero miles, other than test, full-warranty, but came with a ThunderHeader, high-flow air, mini-apes, Avon Venom-X tires (tyres), forward-controls, and a bunch of cosmetics. Problem is, Stage 1 leads to Stage 2...ought to be illegal, it's addicting.
Old 30th December 2017
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
glbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of lightglbsportster is a glorious beacon of light

I am very happy with my American Elites....have had them on about 2 months, but my review is somewhat restricted by my sedate type riding and never in the rain, so doesn't really count much for the true, blue riders, but for my riding they are so much smoother and less affected by road imperfections than my previous 401 and 402s, so I will stick with the Elites in the future. Everyone seems to be very happy with their tires, but when the time come to replace them they continue to look for the perfect tire, makes me think perhaps they weren't as happy with their tires as they let on. Oh, the only thing I dont like about the Elites is the front tire's thread is running in the opposite direction as the rear tire....just looks odd.

I am wondering about something and I know the experts in here can set me straight on this....my understanding from reading various posts in here (my understanding may be incorrect) so on with my question. I understand that the EFI on my 09 1200C does not change the fuel/air mixture since it is set by the a throttle position indicator. Is that true? If true, would that not cause an engine to run leaner when you reduce any air restriction, such as going from the stock HD air filter to a K&N low air restriction type filter, without doing any remaping of the fuel/air percentages??? Thanks for any feedback on that.
Old 25th January 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883n Iron (2019 engine)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl Hugger (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Nibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser Nick View Post
ThunderHeader and that plastic part removed from the "ham-can", K&N filter installed, no re-map necessary on the fuel-injected bikes.
i think the re-map mandatory... otherwise it's a job not done properly
it's not that the dealer actually re-mapped?
Old 25th January 2018
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883n Iron (2019 engine)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl Hugger (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Nibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbsportster View Post
I understand that the EFI on my 09 1200C does not change the fuel/air mixture since it is set by the a throttle position indicator. Is that true? If true, would that not cause an engine to run leaner when you reduce any air restriction, such as going from the stock HD air filter to a K&N low air restriction type filter, without doing any remaping of the fuel/air percentages???
my opinion is NO
maybe in closed loop (the O2 narrow band sensors give something like a feedback back to the ECM) a little the ECM adapt himself to the new A/F ratio

in open loop (no feedback from ECM about A/F ratio) you had to do a mandatory canned remap that reset the values of A/F ratio based on the throttle position, rpm ecc.. (or in alternative a wide band O2 sensor autotune)

if you want to know more

http://www.bikeboy.org/open_closed_loop_efi.html

regards
Old 27th June 2018
Chief of Security

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200/1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Got a kick out of reading the posts from over 10 years ago where people used upcoming EPA enforcement as an excuse for not doing a basic stage 1.
I've got drag pipes with khromewerks HP+ baffles, Dragtron II AC with a k&n filter, 45/175 jets/N65C Needle shimmed .040,A/F screw 1 5/8 turns out and it's about as good as it gets AFR wise. The difference is the N65 needle from an '88 sportster. All ya need to do to the carb for most all stage 1 upgrades tho I did go from 42 to 45 on the slow jet.
Just bought the SERT 32124-04B for $80 to work on the timing curve.
HSR42 25 pilot 2 turns Y8 needle jet 97 needle 2nd groove 170 main
Dragtron II AC K&N filter/VR1 20W50/Spectro 85wt Primary Oil

Last edited by 60Gunner; 28th July 2018 at 04:20..
Old 23rd October 2018
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXLR Low Rider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2019
SLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond repute

Screaming Eagle A/C + V&H Short Shots + Tune, Michelin Commander II.
Old 1st February 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
perfesser has much to be proud ofperfesser has much to be proud ofperfesser has much to be proud ofperfesser has much to be proud ofperfesser has much to be proud ofperfesser has much to be proud ofperfesser has much to be proud ofperfesser has much to be proud ofperfesser has much to be proud ofperfesser has much to be proud ofperfesser has much to be proud of

A late post to be sure, but there is no doubt that uncorking the EPA compliant stock sportster, in particular letting it breathe and exhaust properly, reduces head temperatures, oil temperatures, and improves the longevity of the engine. This was even more necessary on the 'D' cammed carbureted engines, which I am most familiar with.
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd February 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2005 XL1200Custom
hammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond repute

Careful about the EPA, they're not going away. They don't give a damn about motorcyclists 'choice', that freedom is not afforded to those who ride.

Last edited by hammer6315; 9th February 2019 at 16:22..