The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Short Shots w/mid controls
Last Post: Jake42
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Problem on a trip
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 635
0 Michigan Thumb Run:
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 256
0 Momentary starter switch installation question
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 144
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,680
Views: 609,919
0 A couple more noob questions
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 19
0 Un-Modded 2013 Forty-Eight Wobble
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 146
Views: 17,830
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 706
Views: 51,406
0 883 Highway Speed?
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 347
0 Rear Crash Guard/Bag Guard Needed
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Replies: 24
Views: 4,540
0 Converting from 1250 to 1275
Replies: 158
Views: 7,110
0 Turbo Progress
Replies: 60
Views: 17,053
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 47,483
Views: 7,575,073
0 Keep & Kill
Replies: 17,120
Views: 986,104
0 Getting Hammered
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 132
Views: 16,406
0 ....1
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Replies: 5,428
Views: 320,657
0 Turbo Iron 883
Last Post: robbie202
Replies: 22
Views: 500
0 "The Blues" thread!
Replies: 916
Views: 85,327
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 19,342
Views: 1,957,320
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: RamblerAl
Replies: 4,784
Views: 1,862,807
0 Proper XLCH
Last Post: XL100
Replies: 76
Views: 16,457
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,984
Views: 785,893
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,554
Views: 206,025
0 Andrews N4 VS Stock D or W grind cams
Last Post: Ghostdog
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 121
Views: 23,627
0 900cc Pistons
Last Post: Staffords
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 524
0 Hello from Canada!
Last Post: Tinz
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 342
0 Ok 1200 to 1275 for street performance
Last Post: SportyHD
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 411
0 Stock pipes
Last Post: Eric Von Zipper
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 296
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 500
Views: 123,946
0 Wanted: Mid Controls for Frame Mount Evo
Last Post: 5mel42
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 59
More...
Members Birthdays
billydale (77), twoqk4you (60), MMILLS69 (46), aaaugie (46), MikeyT (45), chardhin, jjphoto (42), promiscuousman (36)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 Chopper XL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
rokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond reputerokytnji has a reputation beyond repute

That has the looks of VHT spray can on those mufflers.

Stock sucks.

Traveled to
Old 26th July 2019
SPANIARD

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 ₪ 1275
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Big Dog K9
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Highly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond reputeHighly-Dangerous has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKN View Post
I took my freshly build 900 for a 700 mile trip past Wednesday and returned home yesterday. I wrote a little bit on this bike in my 10-year old stroker build thread, but as a forum member noted it doesn't belong there, so I'm gonna start this thread.

There's nothing special with this bike, it's obviously not a restoration project, but it was build from parts and therefore I don't think it will be a shame for me to post it here.

The frame is a 1969 XLH, front fork is 1971-72 with a matching fender, gas tank came off my 1974 XLCH and has "Taiwan" stamped at the bottom of the tunnel, obviously the pipes are new aftermarket ones, and the head light visor is from a later model. Seat is OEM but I can't see a date painted on it, and seat mount kit is a modern aftermarket. Otherwise it's assembled of mostly 1960-70s stuff, 1957 left XL and 1967 right XLH engine case halves, 1965 cylinders and heads, early Axtell +.070 10.5:1 pistons, 1 3/4" R tullip exhaust valves, 1967 crank (that was rebuild), 1967 magneto, S&S GAL carb, internal throttle handlebars (don't know how to tell if they are OEM or not). Rear wheel is 18". Everything was rebuild/changed besides the swingarm bearings, magneto, handlebars and cam cover bushings.

I only rode it for 50 miles in the city before I decided to take it for a longer ride, not really knowing what to expect from it. I only had 2 minor problems - the camcover vent hose banjo fitting on the oil tank got cracked and started leaking, I lost about a quart of oil, but no big deal, fixed it with a teflon tape. The brass float of the S&S GAL got full in the middle of a trip, was pretty cool to see the carb actually pissing through the bowl vent hole. I was in a small city with a friend of mine, not in a hurry, so he found a small nail and I made a drain hole (the float was soljered before and probably had a tiny crak which I wasn't able to see). Then I drained the gas from the float and used a tiny piece of a rubber hose as a plug.

I really liked the solo seat. There was a part of the road with concrete pavement which alwyas gave me a really bad feeling of my kidneys wanting to jump out of the body. On my Evo sportster, equipped with aftermarket fork valves, Ohlins rear shocks and a steering stabilizer, those few miles were hell, but on an Ironhead I didn't even noticed where was that part of the road that used to give me such problems.

I have a pre-71 front fork on the way to me with a fender and bought a set of what looked to be a 1966-74 saddle bags with many craks and OEM mounting brackets. Also bought pre-67 shocks, so the rear fender will seat lower. Have to probably change the cams from Sifton -/- to stock P, find an OEM tach and a drive gear.

I haven't heard of anyone owning a 900 XLCH here in Russia, so even if there are any, I don't think there's a whole lot of them. Though our "know everybody" guys from the Harley crowd can't recall hearing of any of them here. Old Indians - yes, WLA - a lot, Shovels - yes, Panheads - yes, 1972 and younger Ironheads - yes, but not much of a 1960s Sportsters. Well, at least there's one here.

Excellent!!!! shame for some weird reason I can not see the pics some days I can and some others I can´t... same as I can see some member´s pics and from some others I cannot!!

Welcome from Spain!

Old 26th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

If you cut the exhaust pipes, you may need to have a muffler shop make a couple of short adapters, that fit OD on the exhaust pipe and ID in the muffler (requiring 2 clamps per pipe)
Old 6th April 2020
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 (90")
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 5" stroker in progress
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 CH engine in H frame
Other Motorcycle Year: 196?
RKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to behold

Brought it closer to stock - DC-10 carb, stock pistons, stock cams, pre-1967 forks and rear shocks, paint job, carrier plates for bubble bags. 1962-64 mufflers are sailing my way. No way it's a restoration (and it's a CH engine in long frame), but since the left engine case is from 1957, and the right one is from 1967, I kind of tried to fit inside that period)))

Have to check the carb and timing - couldn't start it, but I'll get it done.

[IMG][/IMG]L]
Old 6th April 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: dragbike
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
mrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant futuremrmom9r has a brilliant future

The smooth bend pipes are Harley XLR . Yes they are 1 3/4" as are the mufflers.

It was once common to see them cut off and used as head pipes for mufflers since those smooth bends look so much better.

No, never any IH black mufflers in that -65 style.

That's a cool old ironhead.
Old 6th April 2020
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom9r View Post
... That's a cool old ironhead.
+1

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]