The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Torx screws on clutch cover
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 192
0 I guess it''s true. (2019 The Last Year For The Sportster?)
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 134
Views: 5,323
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 438
Views: 107,754
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,087
Views: 1,199,234
0 gearing is too high ?
Last Post: Ronan978
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 3,733
0 Sadly Leaving
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 713
0 Need some advice on 1983 Ironhead
Last Post: flthd31
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 203
0 off idle stumble progress
Last Post: smm1200
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 21
0 Ironhead Oil Pump Gurus, come inside.
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 899
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 765
Views: 21,946
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 44,721
Views: 7,031,386
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: rocketnorton
Replies: 1,114
Views: 311,518
0 Grenade Plate
Last Post: b0fh
Replies: 22
Views: 671
0 Start up
Last Post: mickey t
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 283
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: spacecoast
Replies: 4,235
Views: 493,280
0 XLCH Sticker on front fork clamp cover
Replies: 15
Views: 482
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,730
Views: 1,805,562
0 Another Sporty ADV Build
Last Post: shreksbro
Replies: 19
Views: 642
0 First startup
Replies: 11
Views: 443
0 So, anyone wanna talk flat track???
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 87
Views: 8,629
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 10,855
Views: 887,938
0 DK Custom 3" Velocity Stack
Last Post: mesalkn
Replies: 6
Views: 243
0 Power Loss At Sustained High RPMs
Last Post: smokey 2
Replies: 30
Views: 950
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 2,348
Views: 298,675
0 Buell heads and cams!
Last Post: Clevspeed
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 111
0 Dirt bike front wheel??
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 871
0 Problem with my 1998 1200S
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 157
0 What oil and filter to use in 2005 1200c
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,169
0 trans slips in 2nd gear 1989 883
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 112
0 Bike can't go over 75miles.
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 759
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
bendix, carb, idle tube, leak, spitting gas

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

Kenny, as Rick suggested, check valve / push-rod adjustment, I would try setting them on the loose side.
I have seen this a lot with BIG cams where there is a lot of overlap, and tight valves where compression is lost up the intake.

Good luck
Old 15th July 2019
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Ironhead Push Rod Adjustment
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44143

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 16th July 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh-1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Kennyv is an unknown quantity at this point

IronMick, Thanks for that thread and video link. Both very well done. Well, I took a video of my actual bike and posted here. I know idle is high on it right now and will play around with carb adjustment again once I figure out the spitting gas issue. Also, sorry about the nasty grinding sounds you hear on the video ... it doesn't sound like that at all in person, was just the way my phone picked it up for some reason. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZF-ryNuZ4A

Update on the issue. I went through all the valve adjustments today. They actually seemed to be pretty darn good. Nothing was overly loose or tight. I tweaked them just ever so slightly to recommended so that intake slightly tighter than exhaust. This was really just very slight adjustments from where they were before ... like 1/4 flat to loosen the rear exhaust and about full flat to tighten the front intake.

This time, after I got it all buttoned up, started it up and I was pretty excited. No gas spitting anymore!!! Let her heat up and then started playing with the carb to see if I could find that sweet spot. Seemed like the very small adjustments to the valves might of done the trick at first. Shut it down and took a little break for about 5 minutes.

Came back and started it up again to play around with the carb some more. This time it is still hot, hasn't cooled down at all. Started it up and dang it ... actually seems to be spitting gas worse now! So it seems that it is ok when cold, gets worse once it heats up. Also seems to be blowing a little bit of smoke and when I took the plugs out to do the valves they were little bit black and oily but wiped right off. Maybe I didn't do the valves well or lock nut loose or something and have to give that another try. I didn't get into checking the points or static timing yet. I don't have a dang Allen wrench big enough to get inspection plug out.

Thoughts?
Old 16th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

Kenny if it is good cold, I would go back and look at push-rod adjustment again. ( I run my push-rods on the loose side due to heat in traffic )
If push-rods are loose then I would do a hot and cold compression test and then a leak-down.

Also if the idle is low they tend to do this because of the shared intake runner making them pulse.

IN MY OPINION !!! a sporty should never idle below 800 rpm because these engines rely on oil volume not pressure. The oil actually cools the engine as well as lubricate it.
I know they sound cool when idling low but it's not good for the engine.
Old 16th July 2019
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

I always set idle to 1000 RPM so that is my opinion number
Old 16th July 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

You can idle the motor slower than 900rpm, BUT you will be flirting with disaster.

I learned the hard way and this is why I preach it, no one ever warned me. And I was trying to be nice to it and "warm it up". 20 years ago I ruined brand new pistons in 20 minutes with it sitting in the driveway chugging away making that cool potato sound.

A high idle will not hurt it one bit but a slow idle will ruin good pistons in one short spell.
And yes a high idle will help cool it off with lots of oil.
Old 16th July 2019
Biker

Thanks for all the tips .. I am definitely going to go back and check valve adjustment. Will let you know how it goes. Unfortunately, I don't have a tachometer so I am setting idle by ear. In the video, I had it cranked up from what I thought was a good adjustment. If I had to take a shot in the dark, I would guess the idle is at least 1050 1100 in the video. Hey, that would be a cool thread .. post your video and guess the RPM, haha.
Old 18th July 2019
Biker

So I am getting ready to go out and try again on the valve adjustment. I just read through entire thread Mick posted and now I see what I likely did wrong. When I was turning the rear wheel to position the valves, I went past the open position and backed it up on 1 or two of them. I didn't catch that part of it the first time I read through. This time, if I pass the open position I will keep going around until it is open again. WHen turning the wheel to open the valves, there seems to be a sweet spot at the open position, slightly past that and it seems that the springs push back down pretty good. In other words, if you go slightly past open and let go of the rear wheel, it will turn on its own. I definitely think I am on the right track with valve adjustment since I could see a difference in amount of gas spitting from the carb after my first attempt. Hopefully this is my only problem though. Let you know how it goes.
Sponsored Links