The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 theNeckerCube's Problems (Exhaust, Carb, … ?)
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,442
Views: 156,508
0 Current projects (2 of them anyway)
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 52
Views: 1,963
0 Real Horse Power Difference in Head Treatments
Last Post: davesz1r
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 1,574
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17,585
Views: 1,019,455
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11,057
Views: 1,005,139
0 80 xl1000 oil not circulating?
Last Post: pucketprutectah
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 385
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,999
Views: 993,523
0 Yearly Allotment of Miles
Last Post: Skeezix
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 205
0 Snippets
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 176
Views: 15,740
0 Can’t go over 70mph
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 2
Views: 53
0 Oh these college kids
Replies: 14
Views: 1,532
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,124
Views: 1,717,245
0 WTB: XR1200 Luggage Rack and Tailbag (OEM)
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 3
Views: 70
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 10,823
Views: 2,075,780
0 Headwork
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 1
Views: 74
0 ultima install without VOES
Last Post: supermotolew
Replies: 4
Views: 75
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 3,131
Views: 291,393
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,197
Views: 2,060,858
12 Crankcase breathing?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 9
Views: 308
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 47,791
Views: 7,658,834
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 129
0 ....1
Replies: 5,593
Views: 324,945
0 Tranny oil
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 16
Views: 356
0 Parts
Last Post: XL Ed
Replies: 4
Views: 112
0 Mikuni Knock Off "REVEALED" !!!
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 266
0 Why such heavy oil in Sportster?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,857
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: bordens
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,216
Views: 318,451
0 73 XL 1000 Sportster - SOLENOID BYPASS
Last Post: 4th of July
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 57
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: davesz1r
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 605
Views: 191,945
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 75
Views: 3,907
More...
Members Birthdays
flattracker1 (79), al sena (70), SwissXL (56), greendarren7 (49), martian (45), thadf (44), NOGOOD1%€R (37)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to here it is still binding somewhere.
It could be just the finger-rollers. I actually have mine apart as of a few hours ago to fix a hard shifting issue before I tear it up. I figure it is just the rollers are worn because I have had this happen before once or maybe 20 times..
I don't use the rollers for a sportster I use the ones for a cow-pie 4 speed. They are longer and you have to cut them down, but the flat where it rides on the fork is flatter where on the sportster it is more tapered. the flat edge gives more support on the fork and aligns better in the worm plate.
I just cut the length to the width of the shift plate. It makes the trans shift better and the rollers last longer.
Old 1st May 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
CDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to all

Well i’ve Checked and rechecked everything. Something is clearly binding when the trans is installed in the cases. I just have no clue what at this point. I feel like I’ve checked ore replaced everything at least twice. At this point I’m about to throw in the towel and take the bike into a local shop and have them fix it.
Old 1st May 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

I really wish there was some way to see what is happening.
Is there any way to get a picture or a video of the trans out to show it in neutral and as it shits into 2nd. on the bench.
Since I have mine out I am looking for what could be causing your problem by looking at mine.
Unfortunately, I have had mine apart so many times I should have a zipper for access..
I cant really explain everything about these but I can tell you with yours they seem to work better on the looser side of specs.
See what you can do about getting a pic or video, with it out on the bench.
How do you shift it when on the bench , testing the shifting.
I have the trapdoor locked in a large vise and I use a 3/8 extension to operate the shift mechanism. The square fits nice in the fork of the shifter tower. It's easy to shift it slowly when you use a long 3/8 extension
You can then watch the spacing and the operation more easily.
Old 1st May 2019
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Dang. I thought iNSaNeSHaNe had it. We will get there I am sure.

I agree with iNSaNeSHaNe that you need to systematically check the shifting and shimming etc. A video will help a lot.

Remind me, do you have the HD destruction manual to check specs and shimming?

OK. Here is one to check in detail. When you get back in check the rollers are able to run smoothly all the way round their track.
Typically the slop on the camplate shaft causes it to shift off axis during shifting and as it does the rollers are pinched causing
flats to develop - they should be round. The solution is new rollers, careful cleaning up of the tracks and bushing the camplate
tower with a thin walled bush to keep things aligned.

Have we discussed wear on the shifter forks yet?
Old 1st May 2019
Biker

CDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to allCDeckner is a name known to all

I’m going to be away from the bike for about a week. I’ll try and get a video and some pictures of everything when I get back from my trip.

I have a HD service manual and a Clymer manual

There shouldn’t be any wear on the forks as they are new steel forks. I’ve checked them for interference with the gears and they’re all good on that respect.

I appreciate all the help. I’m getting frustrated and I’m sure i’m Going to feel dumb when it’s something super simple that I missed.
Old 1st May 2019

Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

The break will do you good. Come back to it with fresh eyes and you will find it.

Incidentally have a read of iNSaNeSHaNe's lastest posts, on his WTF thread. Could be relevant.
Old 12th May 2019
Biker

Alright so I’m back from Hawaii. I was able to rent a softail and my wife and I toured around the island for a day which was spectacular especially climbing up the saddle road in the clouds up to Mauna Kea.

I was looking at the way 2nd gear was shifting and I noticed that the fork was popping out slightly while it was shifting between 1-n-2-3. When I held the tip of the fork into the gear while shifting it shifted like butter but allowed to do its own thing it was binding the roller. I’m wondering if the face of the shift cam is slightly bent from when this bike was laid down. I’m going to try and find a replacement on eBay before I order a new vtwin one and see if that fixes it.

I ran some 320 grit over the tracks the roller run in to clean up any burrs and that didn’t change the issue. The mainshaft fork doesn’t have the same issue with running in the track.
Old 12th May 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Do me a favor and see if the trap door is cracked where the fork rod slides into it.
It'is suppose to be a tight fit. I have 2 cracked ones from my blown gears and other endeavors.

I have smacked a curb and spun the sift shaft right off at the pinned ball, and even after my hi side where I broke the primary cover I never have bent the worm plate. It would be a first but anything is possible.

Just a thought but when you put the trans in place how easy is it to line it all up.

I have a strange procedure, but it works for me.
I put the shift shaft ball in the fork of the tower and choke up on it with my left hand holding it tight to the door then with my right hand I grab the splined clutch gear and maneuver it in place. I usually have to move the door around a bit to get the fork pin in the case.

If you can ever get us a few pics or a video it would help a lot in diagnosing the problem.
Old 12th May 2019

Quote:
I have a strange procedure, but it works for me.
I put the shift shaft ball in the fork of the tower and choke up on it with my left hand holding it tight to the door then with my right hand I grab the splined clutch gear and maneuver it in place.
iNSaNeSHaNe, not so strange, I pretty much do the same. I find it best to lean over the frame from above when doing this. Thankfully I have had less practice than you.

A damaged or worn shifter fork will not help. One of the riders on here braised and reground the tips back to specification. You could usefully check the shimming careful again.
I take it that you have the support plate to check the shimming, as per the HD destruction manual?

Is it still not shifting to fourth! If the the camplate was not twisting off axis, hopefully the pawl carrier tower is OK. Could the pawls or pins be damaged.

As you say a video would help.
Old 13th May 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Yes, The pawls can get damaged I have cracked one when I hit a curb when a nice old lady pulled out in front of me.
After that, the bike would shift up but not down. It turned out the pawl on the ratchet was cracked and bent from over extending when the shifter caught on the curb