The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 95 tank on a 94
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 8
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,132
Views: 291,465
0 73 XL 1000 Sportster - SOLENOID BYPASS
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 75
0 Headwork
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 84
0 Cam needle bearings correct install
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 213
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20,198
Views: 2,060,956
0 WTB NOKK needle...
Last Post: lespaul6
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Views: 76
0 Real Horse Power Difference in Head Treatments
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 54
Views: 1,605
0 theNeckerCube's Problems (Exhaust, Carb, … ?)
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2,443
Views: 156,530
0 Current projects (2 of them anyway)
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 52
Views: 1,996
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 17,585
Views: 1,019,467
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Replies: 11,057
Views: 1,005,268
0 80 xl1000 oil not circulating?
Last Post: pucketprutectah
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 402
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 6,999
Views: 993,538
0 Yearly Allotment of Miles
Last Post: Skeezix
Replies: 11
Views: 215
0 Snippets
Replies: 176
Views: 15,793
0 Can’t go over 70mph
Views: 70
0 Oh these college kids
Replies: 14
Views: 1,562
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,124
Views: 1,717,469
0 WTB: XR1200 Luggage Rack and Tailbag (OEM)
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 3
Views: 72
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 10,823
Views: 2,075,859
0 ultima install without VOES
Last Post: supermotolew
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 87
12 Crankcase breathing?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 9
Views: 310
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 47,791
Views: 7,659,170
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 130
0 ....1
Replies: 5,593
Views: 324,947
0 Tranny oil
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 16
Views: 362
0 Parts
Last Post: XL Ed
Views: 120
0 Mikuni Knock Off "REVEALED" !!!
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 279
0 Why such heavy oil in Sportster?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,886
More...
Members Birthdays
flattracker1 (79), al sena (70), SwissXL (56), greendarren7 (49), martian (45), thadf (44), NOGOOD1%€R (37)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Roane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to all
Default Horn and starter button stop working

Dumb question but... Any idea why a horn and starter button might stop working suddenly? Most likely cause? Happened when I pulled the headlamp to see how things were wired... there were a lot of extra wires stuffed in there btw. When I tucked them back in, that was the result but all blinkers and other lights still work and the horn and starter are on different bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS 1000 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Yakcm2 has a reputation beyond reputeYakcm2 has a reputation beyond reputeYakcm2 has a reputation beyond reputeYakcm2 has a reputation beyond reputeYakcm2 has a reputation beyond reputeYakcm2 has a reputation beyond reputeYakcm2 has a reputation beyond reputeYakcm2 has a reputation beyond reputeYakcm2 has a reputation beyond reputeYakcm2 has a reputation beyond reputeYakcm2 has a reputation beyond repute

Electrical is not my strong point but, sounds like you might have pulled a connection loose when you tucked it all back in, I assume you’ve checked all the fuses and their ok...sadly, I’m sure your gonna have too go back in too the headlight bucket.
Be patient, someone smarter than me will pop in and have other ideas for ya. Good luck
Old 10th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 74
Popgadget is a splendid one to beholdPopgadget is a splendid one to beholdPopgadget is a splendid one to beholdPopgadget is a splendid one to beholdPopgadget is a splendid one to beholdPopgadget is a splendid one to beholdPopgadget is a splendid one to beholdPopgadget is a splendid one to beholdPopgadget is a splendid one to beholdPopgadget is a splendid one to beholdPopgadget is a splendid one to behold

The Horn and Kill switch receive their power through the ignition and Accesory breakers which receive their power from the IGN terminal on the Key switch.

On my 74 XLH, the Horn power wire is connected to the #5 terminal behind the headlight, but the kill/starter power comes directly from the breaker.
The power from the starter button to the start relay is on terminal 1 on the block behind the headlight.
So it would appear that you have molested the wires on 1 & 5 on that block, Assuming that your 77 has the same terminal block as my 74.
Old 10th January 2019
Ironhead Rider

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000, Stock
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 900 Hardtail Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
Yellowstone Kelly has a brilliant futureYellowstone Kelly has a brilliant futureYellowstone Kelly has a brilliant futureYellowstone Kelly has a brilliant futureYellowstone Kelly has a brilliant futureYellowstone Kelly has a brilliant futureYellowstone Kelly has a brilliant futureYellowstone Kelly has a brilliant futureYellowstone Kelly has a brilliant futureYellowstone Kelly has a brilliant futureYellowstone Kelly has a brilliant future

Here's a wiring diagram for a '77 XLH.

The yellow circuit is the horn circuit, the red circuit is the starter button circuit.

"Connector 3" is inside the headlight bucket (the dotted line labeled #1 in the diagram).

Horn:

From the horn (#20 circled in yellow in the diagram), a yellow wire goes to one of the pins of one half of connector 3. A black wire comes out the other half of connector 3 and goes right to the horn switch. (#7 circled in yellow).

Starter button:

From the start switch (#19 circled in red), a black wire goes to a pin of Connector 3. Coming out of the other half of connector 3 is another black wire that goes right to the start relay (#29 circled in red).

Since both circuits go through connector 3, I'd start looking at that connector first to make sure the two halves are fully connected together, and that the female pins are nice and tight and making good contact with the male pins.

http://xlforum.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic72446_4.gif

Last edited by Yellowstone Kelly; 15th January 2019 at 21:18..
Old 11th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstone Kelly View Post
Since both circuits go through connector 3, I'd start looking at that connector first to make sure the two halves are fully connected together, and that the female pins are nice and tight and making good contact with the male pins.
Yep - When you disconnect the connector and then reconnect, the pins some times just don't fully re-engage from one half of the connector to the other... Check each wire/pin to be sure it is fully seated in the connector block and as Kelly says, make sure it is making good contact with it's opposite gender pin/socket...

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcyle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info, catalogued from the XLForum,
Check Out The Sportsterpedia
Old 15th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Roane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to allRoane is a name known to all

Hi, thanks for all your help. The pins seem to be in their sockets. Is it possible I blew a fuse (I did not disconnect the neg terminal of the battery before opening up the headlamp to look around in there and there was a ground of some sort held under the screw I had to take out to gain access)? I didn't do the wiring on this bike when the new harness was put in and know nothing about electrical (although trying to learn now). I will say there is a whole section of wires tucked in the headlight that aren't even in use (a whole branch coming from the wiring tree snaked down my frame under my seat) Could it be a fuse and would the fuse box be generally under seat or to the side of the bike behind the battery. I've got a box there with a brand name of some sort on it but need to look it up.
Old 15th January 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

There is no fuse box on an Ironhead from the factory.
Circuit breakers are used.

Your fault description is not conclusive.

Im pretty sure the starter button gets power directly from the run switch?

The horn switch would get power separate from the run switch.
Perhaps the run switch is not getting power either?

Make sure none of the pins pushed out of the Molex connectors?
In particular the #2 6pin molex has all orange wires is the power distribution and has shorting bars inside that tie all together.
Old 15th January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

In Kelly's diagram of STOCK WIRING, #47 is the Main Circuit Breaker and #32, #33 and #34 are the individual Circuit Breakers...

The Horn (thru the Horn Switch) operates off of #33 and the Starter Relay (thru the Starter Switch) operates off #34...

If STOCK, the circuit breakers should reset themselves, if they are working... It would be unlikely that both would fail at the same time...

BUT - Since this has been rewired - We don't know (from here) what is wired to what/where...

Pictures are worth a thousand words --- Can you take a couple pics of the wiring inside the headlight - And under the seat - and of that box you mentioned???

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcyle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info, catalogued from the XLForum,
Check Out The Sportsterpedia
Old 21st January 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Default wiring

Hi,
I took it apart and also took pics of the various bits. The connectors seem good. I was wondering if there was maybe a short somewhere... due to a wire grounding. I don't know anything about electric although I have a voltmeter and am willing to learn. Bloody cold out there though so don't relish the hours picking through it.

Here are the pics. Looks like the starter has a black wire going out that connects to a black and red wire in the headlight bonnet, that wire then snakes into the Ultima. I don't see a fuse anywhere.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...phUEFZNGR6SzE4

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...tIVXRNdFY2SGQ4

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...RCSmgwUWl1WV93

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...1lWGlQUG5GRmhv

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...FQRFU0emRhbUZ3

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...loSFZPZ2xlMW1j

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...VNUkM3U19pam5v

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...h1cnJqN2E1QmQ0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...xTNjZ4NnFBVU40

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...YzSkFvc1dyUG04
Old 21st January 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant future

Since the problem started after being in the headlight bucket I'd say that's where your problem is,but with that being said my kill switch wire got pinched when the steering stop on the right side got it like to never have found it.