The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 Parrothead and the 2019 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: decman
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,161
0 Gave up and made a bigger fuel tank (see pic)
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 647
14 1974 Ironhead sportster xlch
Last Post: Ltdr13
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 11,582
0 Ironhead Survey: Most desired bike
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 85
Views: 12,040
0 Call the new 2020 models Sportsters?
Last Post: sportyone
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 118
Views: 9,288
0 Should I buy a Sportster??
Last Post: sportyone
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 516
Views: 187,702
0 Ride Report 2019 Black Hills, Grand Teton Mtns., Rocky Mountain Ntl. Park
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 238
0 need service information for my '71 Ironheqad
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 288
0 touchy feely sissy bar emotions poll
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 125
Views: 34,785
0 Right Hand fork leg 45922-00
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 7
Views: 206
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 10,005
Views: 1,661,058
0 Throttle Cable Adjustment Question
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 65
Views: 1,167
0 Fuel injection quick connect o-ring
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 37
Views: 15,579
0 Who Runs Turn Signals?
Last Post: tussuck
Replies: 348
Views: 72,026
5 How do you Wash your Bike?
Last Post: Airbozo
Replies: 20
Views: 634
0 2019 East Coast Meet and Greet
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 323
Views: 35,566
0 Crusty's Travels
Replies: 2,217
Views: 273,769
0 Tube Breather valve, Front Shocks on '72
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 7
Views: 92
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,735
Views: 853,377
0 Ironhead S&S Super E don't run right
Last Post: Alexreed714
Replies: 31
Views: 847
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Replies: 1,243
Views: 152,121
0 Torque Cones
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 22
Views: 346
0 Grounded
Replies: 38
Views: 1,203
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 1,036
Views: 315,736
0 Motoscope Mini
Last Post: LenC
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 21
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: Monte03
Replies: 4
Views: 336
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Replies: 117
Views: 229,765
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: lock
Replies: 1,855
Views: 367,308
0 Lifted 48
Last Post: EL in NH
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 186
0 Carb question (S&S?)
Last Post: madnss
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 485
More...
Members Birthdays
Phil R (76), powellsanmiguel (72), pasqualeddpas (64), maruman (62), gmhsc (61), roachhill (49), redi2ride (45), eliminator96 (39), Booncha57 (38), drewkimmel93 (26)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2007 XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
DIESEL has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKN View Post
Thanks for telling! That's way cheaper than $600. How's the clutch lever compare to stock 883 - is it much harder to press?
Yes, until it gets broken in. I have 3 bikes and don't notice any difference now. When it was first installed, yes, major difference.

If you are not going to do the install yourself (which is easy cheesy) then you don't need the kit with the tool. You do NOT have to remove the basket or Primary Chain. Just pull the primary case, use tool, remove old plates, install new parts, and button her back up.
Old 6th May 2011
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: 650 Triumph Bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
xHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of light

I'm running the heaviest clutch spring I could find on the internet. its not a bad pull until you drive in town then it sucks.

I live in the sticks
883 / 1200 conversion, shrink ported high velocity heads, milled .020 off the compression side. stainless steel tulip conversion valves. 10:1 wiseco forged pistons. "W" cams, Crane HI-4E ignition module, forcewinder AC. mustang seat, Progressive springs, RK-shocks, fork brace. metzeler me880 tires, headlight modulator. PIAA intense white H4 bulb
Old 6th May 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 (90")
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 CH engine in H frame
Other Motorcycle Year: 196?
RKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
Yes, until it gets broken in. I have 3 bikes and don't notice any difference now. When it was first installed, yes, major difference.

If you are not going to do the install yourself (which is easy cheesy) then you don't need the kit with the tool. You do NOT have to remove the basket or Primary Chain. Just pull the primary case, use tool, remove old plates, install new parts, and button her back up.
Talked to my mechanic today - I'm gonna order it. Hope it'll get broken in fast, because 80 % of the time I do ride in the city.
Old 6th May 2011
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
cowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=shaymus;3267070]Mine was the same way. I replaced everything in the clutch and it still slipped. So, $600 later I got a Barnett racing clutch.

[/Q

How hard was it to put in? Did make a big change it the feel of the clutch? Was it worth the money?
04 1200R N4 cams, custom A/C , stage 1 P&P, porker switchblades, Tc88a with Ricos Hooligan map, 185 main, 48 slow, and custom 5.2 gal tank. 3-1/2in extended forward controls, Enough about me, tell me about you.
Old 7th May 2011
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 .030
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
shaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=cowboy770;3270925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaymus View Post
Mine was the same way. I replaced everything in the clutch and it still slipped. So, $600 later I got a Barnett racing clutch.

[/Q

How hard was it to put in? Did make a big change it the feel of the clutch? Was it worth the money?
Just got it the other day. I'm going to put it in tomorrow. Untill I can get my bike to start ( which I've been going through hell ), I won't know. I replaced everything with the stock clutch which cost me around $1000 and it still slipped. That is why I bought the drag racing clutch. I just hope I can pull the lever. It came with 3 sets of springs , I put the med. in and it says they are 70 lbs. I probably will get a popeye arm out of it. As for putting it in , the direction look pretty simple. I goes in the stock clutch basket.
Old 8th May 2011

xHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of lightxHDrider is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=shaymus;3272698]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy770 View Post
Just got it the other day. I'm going to put it in tomorrow. Untill I can get my bike to start ( which I've been going through hell ), I won't know. I replaced everything with the stock clutch which cost me around $1000 and it still slipped. That is why I bought the drag racing clutch. I just hope I can pull the lever. It came with 3 sets of springs , I put the med. in and it says they are 70 lbs. I probably will get a popeye arm out of it. As for putting it in , the direction look pretty simple. I goes in the stock clutch basket.
let us know how this works out for you. what kind of torque are you putting to to the ground with your engine?

I had to adjust my ramp adjustment to 3/4 turn backed off to help pervent slipping. 1/2 turn still slipped. thats with 1/8" cable play. (after take-up)

some times I wonder if the ramp assy should have its own return spring.

I hate a slipping clutch. (all with an extra-plate clutch and competition clutch spring) I'm even running spectro lube in the chain case / transmission
Old 12th May 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 (90")
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 CH engine in H frame
Other Motorcycle Year: 196?
RKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to allRKN is a name known to all

Ordered Belt Drive clutch from Dan at NRHS. Intersting, the problem I described (0.5...1 sec delay after releasing the clutch lever) doesn't happen all the time. Could it possibly be that the clutch cable needs lubricating?
Sponsored Links
Old 12th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKN View Post
Ordered Belt Drive clutch from Dan at NRHS. Intersting, the problem I described (0.5...1 sec delay after releasing the clutch lever) doesn't happen all the time. Could it possibly be that the clutch cable needs lubricating?
it could be the cable, or maybe the ball has worked a little pocket in the ramp assy.

I think the ramp lever should have a return spring on it. (they don't come with a spring)