The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Buell Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 Im done with brake bleeding.
Last Post: v3ko123
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 '95 - relocated my turn signals
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 37
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 11,719
Views: 2,445,957
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: cal43
Replies: 27,385
Views: 2,853,377
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 20,474
Views: 1,216,710
0 Gender sensitivity:
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 31
Views: 1,183
0 WTB 50 or 100 RD Drum for Thompson 1927
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 21
0 100 round Drum for 1927 Thompson
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 33
0 Cafe Bars/Drag Bars/T Bars
Last Post: Dave L
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 130
Views: 113,132
0 shift lever fabrication questions
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 215
5 Do you have a Facebook Acct?
Last Post: skien
Replies: 15
Views: 401
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Brad
Replies: 1,327
Views: 128,325
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,345
Views: 1,828,894
6 Custom Racer with Aluminium Frame and Sportster Engine
Last Post: agusta74
Replies: 102
Views: 20,463
0 My '05 1200C (insert clever title here)
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 220
Views: 49,563
0 Can't find build thread for DAN MOTO’S HARLEY SPORTSTER RACER
Replies: 2
Views: 89
0 Can't find a build thread for DAN MOTO’S HARLEY SPORTSTER RACER
Views: 73
0 Rear Caliper Pin Bolt Thread 2009 Nighster
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 207
0 Relocating front signals '21 Forty 8
Last Post: Morsecode
Replies: 7
Views: 97
0 1250 Unhappiness 2020 edition
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 106
Views: 7,106
0 best way to re-route throttle cables?
Last Post: redling36
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 6,196
7 2001 xlh 1200 off road
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 4
Views: 111
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 2,085
Views: 438,431
0 10 things i DON'T miss about my sporties
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 21
Views: 1,606
0 Home Brewing
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 140
Views: 11,071
0 Rocker arms bolts
Last Post: needspeed
Replies: 13
Views: 402
0 Broken chain
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 441
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 987
Views: 109,733
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 7,567
Views: 1,167,903
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,619
Views: 237,847
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell X1 Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Feskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to behold
Default Been Sitting For 5-10 years; Starts, But Dies

Hello.

Seems this might be the place to start;

I have a Buell X1 Lightning 2000 mod. with 7500 miles on it.
I bought it a couple of years ago and when i first got it i took it for some rides to work etc. but it didnt run very well. Under 3-3500 rpm it would run ok, but when i got over 3500 rpm it was almost like it went to limp mode. This was during the time i was building our house and garage, so i just kept it under 3500 rpm and thought i was going to fix it when the garage was finished. But in the autumn the bike fell over while standing on its sidestand. This was late autumn, in northern Norway, so, winter was coming. I put the bike on a trailer and stored it for the winter. When the spring came i took the bike out, but now i cant ride it. It starts, but dies. If i try to rev it, it might go a little, spits, bangs, and then dies. This is while its on a motorcycle stand. There's no chance i got to ride it. That said; the bike had been sitting for 5-10 years. I drained fueltank and added new fuel. The old fuel was brownish, with some kind of gue, almost muddy. I also took the fuel pump out, but i have no idea if its ok or not, but the fuel filter on the pump was brown, and there is some stains on the pump and the pressureregulator. I have changed the fuel filter thats under the fuel tank. Also new plug wires and sparkplugs.
With EcmSpy i have checked inlet air temp ok, engine temp ok, TPS ok, CPS ok. Also i done the diagnostic function all ok.
I had fault code 13, oxygen sensor, briefly.
One sparkplug was a little white while the other was maybe a bit wet. Only one O2 sensor on this.

Any ideas where to start?

Have tried to follow ground cables to check for good connection. I have not tried new battery, because it turns the engine with ease, but maybe im fooling myself and maybe i just should try a new battery?
Also, nearest Harley shop is 2.5-3 hours away, so i want to troubleshoot a little more by myself before sending it away to them. But again, they have little knowledge to Buell, so they reccon its a change components until it works way to fix it.

Hope to get some help, or maybe be guided to someone who can help me.

Thanks.
Old 24th April 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
TonyGall is an unknown quantity at this point

might be worth doing a compression test on the cylinders just to rule out the engine. at least you will know the motor is ok.
Old 24th April 2019
Air-cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum, from North Dakota!

I'd say, if your fuel tank was "muddy", then your injector system is full of "mud" too. You'll probably need to clean every part of the fuel system, thoroughly.
Old 24th April 2019
Artist, rider, wrencher

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 (Bruiser)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 (Fiona)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTC (Ruby Lee)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Flame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam503 View Post
Howdy and Welcome to the Forum, from North Dakota!

I'd say, if your fuel tank was "muddy", then your injector system is full of "mud" too. You'll probably need to clean every part of the fuel system, thoroughly.
I agree with this dude!

Gamertag, PS4: Bikerdude__
Old 24th April 2019
Biker

Feskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to beholdFeskerlars is a splendid one to behold

Today i have opened the fuel filter on the fuel pump and checked inside the fuel pump, everything there looked very good. Also took out fuel injectors and they at least looked clean. Took endoscope camera and inspected were the injectors should be, and all the way to the valves, also there everything looked very clean.
Checked inside sylinders with endoscope and also there it looked good. Rear sylinder had some unburnt fuel in it.
Tomorrow i think i will try to change the O2 sensor, i think i have a new one. Tried to change it today but god damn ass i need to make a custom spanner or else i need to dismantle the exhaust. Also tried to charge the battery today with a "clever" battery charger, but it refused to charge it and came up with error code "Check battery condition", so i need a new battery. But THEN! I will hook it up with EcmSpy and check for fault codes.
Does anybody know what resetting the AFV should be good for? Read somewhere on the interweb that after changing O2 sensor i need to reset TPS and AFV, and thats okay, i can do that with EcmSpy, but i like to know why i am doing what i am doing.
Anyways, in the end of this day, i'd say the injectors look clean, and inlet also looks clean. And everything all the way to the valves looks clean.

Hoping it's a minor issue causing these problems.
Old 25th April 2019
Biker

For those who cares, just an update. (I hate it when someone starts a tread, and suddenly disappears with no conclusion.)
Bought new battery and changed O2 sensor. But i also had to put up my kids trampoline, so, thats what i got time for today. Still, 30+ of age, and still manage to do a front flip.
Tomorrow, maaaaybe, i will put in the new battery, read fault codes, reset TPS etc. etc. and on saturday or sunday hopefully try to get it started. Updates will come.
Old 26th April 2019
Artist, rider, wrencher

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 (Bruiser)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 (Fiona)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTC (Ruby Lee)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Flame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you get to ride it soon
Old 27th April 2019
Biker

Put the bike together last night, filled up with new gas and tried to start. It turns but wouldn't start. Had other things to do so i let it be for a while, but tried one more time before i went to bed. It started, but it's not idling. I can't get it to idle if i give it a little revs either, it just dies out. Check engine lamp is blinking, but when i try to read fault codes there are no one. Had to go to work today, but will take my time in the garage when i get home.
Old 27th April 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 2004 XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: SOLD
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2000 X-1 lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: SOLD
Other Motorcycle Model: XB1200XT "Uly"
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
sprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are getting somewhere! Not sure about the AFV, but reset TPS is a very common instruction for Buell. Good luck, I loved my X1 !
Old 28th April 2019
Biker

Fully charged battery, primed fuel pump a few times, and the bike starts and idles. But now it's not building oil pressure, as soon as i saw the oil lamp still on i killed it off. Low oil level, but not much oil spill under the bike, it's been on the same place for a long time, but definitely not much oil left. 3 hours to nearest H-D dealer, so might be a few days until i get new oil. Also noticed a lower voltage drop when ignition is turned on. 12,4V until i turn ignition on, then it drops to 11,4V. Not sure what the voltage was when it was idling, but the EcmSpy froze when i stopped the bike, and there it said 11,4V or 11,8V, i cant remember. What should charing voltage be on the Buell X1? On my car it's closer to 14V when it's running. Maybe nothing, but worth mentioning.