The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Harley reliability .
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 136
Views: 14,287
0 Lifted 48
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 212
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11,747
Views: 1,058,451
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,080
Views: 6,901,744
0 Throttle Cable Adjustment Question
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 1,589
0 Cam cover ID help, please (warning - HUGE pics)
Last Post: Magneto Sportster
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 80
0 info needed...please ('Silver' Plating)
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 60
0 Longer Rear Brake (Foot Brake) Lever?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 375
0 License plate light
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 57
0 Rear brake caliper -- 81 XLH
Last Post: sltm1
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 583
0 Oil in air cleaner
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 70
Views: 2,793
0 48 speedo mount on iron
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 19
Views: 3,428
0 Post Your Seat Pics Here !!!
Last Post: Siegfriedson
Replies: 743
Views: 594,523
0 Grounded
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,512
0 2019 East Coast Meet and Greet
Last Post: oldboy
Replies: 328
Views: 35,685
0 Harley quoted me $1300 for a mini ape install
Last Post: motorend
Replies: 176
Views: 36,806
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 4,121
Views: 472,848
0 72 XLH1000 Wiring Kit
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 468
0 Stator wire hot!
Last Post: Oberlin
Replies: 30
Views: 702
0 touchy feely sissy bar emotions poll
Last Post: xlerate
Replies: 126
Views: 34,840
0 Crusty's Travels
Replies: 2,219
Views: 274,211
0 ***DK CUSTOM-4 New LIMITED QUANTITY Pegs-10% SAVINGS ON ALL PEGS***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 101
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 1,880
Views: 158,338
0 Gave up and made a bigger fuel tank (see pic)
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 33
Views: 824
0 Parrothead and the 2019 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: Akdawg
Replies: 46
Views: 1,336
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,739
Views: 854,460
0 Motoscope Mini
Last Post: deuce460
Replies: 4
Views: 69
0 New Small Harley Model
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 135
5 How do you Wash your Bike?
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 783
0 Should I buy a Sportster??
Last Post: sportyone
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 516
Views: 187,922
More...
Members Birthdays
Phil R (76), powellsanmiguel (72), pasqualeddpas (64), maruman (62), gmhsc (61), roachhill (49), redi2ride (45), eliminator96 (39), Booncha57 (38), drewkimmel93 (26)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74/5
paulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
How do the brushes look, and the armature where they ride?
Brushes look good, well over the 1/2 inch minimum, nice and clean. Armature nice nd clean too. Very little dust and dirt in there overall.
Paul

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Old 23rd April 2019
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Ironhead Voltage Drop Testing
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1608465

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 23rd April 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

paulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond reputepaulc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mick, will check the circuits I haven’t yet checked/renewed. So far it looks like just the generator is bad.
Was already thinking of fitting the 17A alternator conversion to my project bike. Have decided to get one now and fit it to the 76. Then I can ride it and try to figure out the generator issues at leisure.
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23rd April 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

have you been running the auto ign switch for a long time or something new??
on some of the auto ignition switches, when you go to the start mode, it disconnects all power to the system. this makes sure that all of the battery power is available for the starter. on this type of switch, there is temporary contact made at the solenoid to the ignition coil so the engine will start but as soon as the switch goes to run mode, power is supplied via the ignition power wire.
Old 23rd April 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post
have you been running the auto ign switch for a long time or something new??
on some of the auto ignition switches, when you go to the start mode, it disconnects all power to the system. this makes sure that all of the battery power is available for the starter. on this type of switch, there is temporary contact made at the solenoid to the ignition coil so the engine will start but as soon as the switch goes to run mode, power is supplied via the ignition power wire.
That ignition keyswitch has been on the bike for 6 years. Don't think it cuts power to other things when momentary starter is operated by the key turn.
Power to the keyswitch comes from main breaker. From the on position it goes back to the other breakers, including the one that feeds the coil. The starter terminal on the keyswitch feeds the starter solenoid. So the coil only gets power if the 'on' terminal of the ignition switch stays live during starting.
Are you thinking this type of keyswitch is an issue?
Paul
Old 25th April 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

been working 6 years, so no issue.
just wasn't sure this was a new add on. the ole chrysler products used to use a ballast resistor ignition system, in starter mode, 12v was supplied to the coil but in the run position, the ignition circuit went through the resistor to drop voltage to the coil for a longer life.
Old 2nd May 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Didn't find any other issues except the generator max output being low. That'll stay in pieces for now until I get around to trying to figure out the issue. Alternator kit arrived yesterday. Got that fitted then spent ages trying to figure out where to mount the new regulator. Was planning to make up a bracket but then realised it would fit nicely between the motor mount bolts and also lined up with the holes in the mount plate. Drilled out the holes in the regulator slightly to fit larger bolts and on it went. Not the best look but will do for now as it means I don't have to make a bracket up, ideal as I'm spending a lot of time with drill, grinder, hacksaw and files at the moment fabbing up the back brake master cylinder stuff for the project bike.

Still need to fit a fuse into the wire that runs from regulator to battery, and fit the little digital voltmeter I ordered when it arrives. But it starts and runs again, and seems to be charging - up to 14.3v when running at reasonable rpm.
Need to set points and timing, and adjust pushrods, then I can try it out at the weekend and see how things go when riding it. Seems good for now though
Paul
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd May 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

looks like a pretty good location to me.i have a spin on oil filter there on my bike.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 3rd May 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: VL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1934
ccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really niceccmman is just really nice

Good luck with the new alternator. Let us know how it works.
Old 5th May 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucstoudt View Post
looks like a pretty good location to me.i have a spin on oil filter there on my bike.
It's growing on me, think it will probably end up staying there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmman View Post
Good luck with the new alternator. Let us know how it works.
Will do. 50 mile ride this weekend and all is good so far.
Paul