The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 Repairing Cylinder Studs/Cases
Last Post: Blue Scoot
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 730
0 Getting Hammered
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 261
0 Leineweber camshaft
Last Post: chevelle
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 121
0 question for our machinists
Last Post: JonesL
Replies: 21
Views: 948
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 45,710
Views: 7,223,953
0 More oil return questions
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 46
0 WTB: Sportster Shift Lever
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 0
Views: 21
0 Sportster weak lifter - what does it sound like?
Last Post: tussuck
Replies: 8
Views: 246
0 Keep & Kill
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,638
Views: 818,401
0 Mid or forward controls.
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 162
Views: 42,895
0 2015 sportster charging
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 8
Views: 252
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 48
Views: 3,528
0 Cheap 7200B bearing = NO!
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 33
Views: 2,160
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,659
Views: 359,738
0 Rewire with Thunderheat. Getting horn, back brake and back light, nothing else
Last Post: Roane
Replies: 35
Views: 1,964
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 903
Views: 41,723
7 Ironhead yes or no
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,269
0 New Member and a question
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 19
Views: 691
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 2,626
Views: 225,903
0 piston rings
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 83
0 Hybrid ceramic wheel bearings
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 259
0 Highest mileage EVO you'd buy.
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 368
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,381
Views: 1,477,687
0 New member softail rim laced to sportster hub
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 105
0 Cold weather pants:
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 355
0 Electrical question
Views: 218
2 Humble pie
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Replies: 60
Views: 4,776
0 Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank
Replies: 107
Views: 49,211
0 oil return for stroker
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 353
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
canoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud of

Hey guys I'm curious if anyone has tried the fix from post 51, where he attached a couple springs thru the cotter pins to help force the forks over, so the gears engage better. This seems like a great idea but that post is about 9 years old and I didn't see much talk about it in the rest of the thread.
Anyone try this fix? I'd love to hear how it went....thanks!
Old 5th July 2019
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
BlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud ofBlackBikeDave has much to be proud of

I was/still am a bit nervous to attempt this although I would like to know as well. I have just gotten used to riding it this way....'not trusting my transmission in 1st or 2nd gear under load' or 'throttling down then increasing load'
Old 6th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

canoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud of

Ha - you and me both BBD - lol - For me it's still just 1st gear and only happens a few times a month but I would love to fix it, esp if it's a simple matter of getting the forks to travel further by using a spring or two.

But I don't see how the forks can be "persuaded" to move further by using a spring. The way I understand it the forks travel along the shift drum b/c of the fork pins, which ride in the grooves cut in the drum. I guess there's slop in the groove/pin combo, so that a spring would eliminate that slop and force the forks to engage the gears more fully?

Do the forks travel both directions, i.e. in and out? If so I fail to see how a spring would help.

I understand the newer gears are designed better, with a larger chamfer but they are expensive. If the spring fix works I'd love to save a few hundred dollars.
Old 6th July 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Naplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura about

I replaced my forward gear to a “newer design “ waisted money. The shift barrel from Baker was the fix. Your right about to much play in the original pin and barrel. The real fix was how Baker cut the barrel. I was being told to change gears and forks. Glad I didn’t. Was it easy, no. I’m a mechanic and have worked on everything for the last 30+ years. Can you do it, ? Not sure. Depending on your mechanical abilities. Do it, it’s so worth it!
Old 6th July 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

So you changed your shift shaft to the Baker and it fixed the problem? But you said you bought a new "forward gear" but I'm not sure what you mean.

I'd like to install the Baker shift drum. It's obviously a superior part, I can tell just from the pictures - no more silly C-clip to fasten the detent plate.

Since I'm in the early stages of the trouble I figure the gears shouldn't be overly worn. Maybe a new shift drum will do the trick.

I am a little worried about getting everything back together properly - and adjusting the shift pawl with a #32 drill bit seems a little goofy. Maybe it's easier than it sounds in the manual. I only have weekend access to a shop and everything's gotta be cleaned up by Sunday night. I may try it. Thanks again!

Last edited by canoli; 6th July 2019 at 23:26..
Old 27th October 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Naplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura aboutNaplesron has a spectacular aura about

I had to take it apart twice. First time, I listened to the advice I got here and used the manual to put it together exactly how it said. See even Harley was telling me, the design was changed on the first gear for exactly this reason. If you look at the pictures I showed the original gear and the updated gear. And yes there is design differences. After putting it back together I was confident it was fixed. That is till I road it. I was very discouraged. About a week went by and I came across a add for the drum from Baker. I pulled it apart again after receiving the part. I not only saw a big difference between the parts in how looked but how it was designed. Cuts in the barrel would add a champed edge. This little hook in the channel helped to hold it in gear. The biggest surprise was trying to put it in neutral, it was much easier to find. It’s now a couple years later. Still working great. I’m so glad I went in again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk