The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Active Threads
0 6 month old battery discharged and now won't charge at all
Last Post: Debute23
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Sportster Oil Pressure and Dynamics
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 169
Views: 8,294
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 29,203
Views: 1,702,029
0 1981 XLH Getting Recranked
Last Post: owlsplace
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 101
Views: 4,593
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: koolbreeze
Replies: 5,444
Views: 935,466
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: seajay
Replies: 13,129
Views: 3,302,280
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 36,955
Views: 4,572,114
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 54,418
Views: 9,252,284
0 video & pics
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,388
Views: 141,669
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,249
Views: 1,152,785
0 an old Lady
Views: 68
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,596
Views: 2,316,337
0 Fork Maintenance
Last Post: Mathias
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 4
0 Fuel delivery issues
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 210
0 Factory Chain Oiler
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 399
0 Oops, I signed up for another long ass ride: The 2022 Hoka Hey
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 2,638
0 Clutch Stud Spacer: 1.530" pn #5995, 0.040" #5996, 0.080" #5997
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 260
0 Align intake manifold
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 118
0 pop's through carb at,idle
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 5,061
0 oil light flickering
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 202
0 DK Customs external Breather catch can location help
Last Post: tvon
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 109
0 Slip on muffler
Last Post: LiveToRide57
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 246
Views: 86,641
0 Fork Gaiters
Last Post: tiderider
Replies: 46
Views: 1,912
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Stray Cat
Replies: 7,992
Views: 1,448,687
0 Gas Cap problem?
Last Post: ZTatZAU
Replies: 54
Views: 1,914
0 Bike issue after swapping handlebar. :(
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 21
Views: 524
0 A different Oil filter test
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 3,533
0 23" wheel 4"over fork tubes
Last Post: class of 82
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Views: 66
0 Saddlemen Step Up or Drag Specialties Predator III Seat?
Last Post: Mathias
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Views: 4,895
0 All balls generator
Last Post: class of 82
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Views: 324
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2022
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Each of the lifts in my breezeway have these HF chocks, work great.https://www.harborfreight.com/media/...9/69026_W3.jpg

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 23rd January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 CX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 1200 Cussed'em
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas In January

I got my new (to me) lift yesterday. Itís a Harbor Freight lift with all its inadequacies and I love it! Yes; the front wheel vise sucks and is woefully inadequate and itís not anything like a Handy lift, but itís a lift and it works! Iím happier than a tornado in a trailer park!

Yesterday, I felt like a kid on Christmas. The anticipation had me almost twitchy. I had to restrain myself from texting Matthew with numerous, ďWhere are you?Ē texts. Then, at about 9:45 he texted me with the message that ETA was at 13:30. All I had to do then was watch the clock and try to relax.

Matthew arrived on schedule. We unloaded the lift and got it into the garage. Then, we went and got lunch. Matthew asked if he could impose on my hospitality and stay overnight and I was quick to say, ďYes; certainly!Ē He also had brought some additional gifts; a travel mug and some Bentonís Bacon and his last sticker of Glitch kicking the Reaperís butt. That will go on the windshield once I get the Express back up and running. The travel mug is really neat; it has a design that I had sent out in a joke e-mail a few days ago. Iíll put a photo of it at the end of this Snippet.

We went to Big Boy and had an early lunch. We were going to hit Velvet Smoke for dinner, so we ate light. after lunch, we came back to the house and moved the lift into the basement and brought the Express into the basement and put it on the lift. Iím going to rearrange the LED lights so that thereís more light on the bike.

David had given me one of those screw in LED lights that puts out about a brazillion lumens for Christmas, and that helped enormously on one side. Once I move one of the 4 foot fixtures, Iíll have better lighting on the lift and the left side of whatever bike is on it.

Anyhow; Matthew and I headed out to Velvet Smoke so that we would be there when they opened at 4:30. When we got there, there was a notice on the door that because the Bengals were in a Playoff Game, their hours were changed for the day to Noon to 4:00 PM. They were closed. So we came back to the house. We finally decided to hit an Outback Steak House. Matthew had Prime Rib and I tried their New! Meatloaf. We also got some Tater Tots that were the size of tennis balls with a dipping sauce. Everything was pretty good. Then we came back to the house and watched Stagecoach (the original 1939 movie) and The Outlaw Josie Wales. Matthew is another one of us weirdos who enjoys sleeping on a recliner, so both of my recliners got use for a change. I enjoy sleeping on a recliner enough that itís hard for me to understand why most folks donít.

Anyway; Matthew left a little while ago. The temperature warmed up a little bit overnight to a balmy 26ļ F (-3ļ C) Thereís snow showers in the forecast, but I looked at the weather radar and heíll be well below the snow all the way back to Georgia.

I really want to say Thank You!!! to Joe, Mike and Matthew. The gift of a lift is enormous and I very much appreciate it along with the logistics of getting it from Florida to Cheviot.

Now; Hereís the bike on the raised lift :

And hereís the side thatís going to have light fixtures relocated :

And hereís the Travel Mug:

Old 23rd January 2022
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

That’s simply great John, karma coming to play, happy for you!
Old 26th January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Breakfast or Brunch?

I have a bad habit. Actually, I have several; but I just want to talk about one at the moment. Sometimes, I like to have dinner items for breakfast.

You see; itís the beginning of the month. Not calendar wise, but money wise. My Social Security deposit comes in and I pay my bills and go grocery shopping. I tend to make a quantity of main dishes and freeze them. Most items are portioned to feed a family of four, so I make them and freeze individual portions. A pound of ground beef makes 4 quarter pound patties or 4 portions of seasoned meat for tacos. I buy Family Packs of pork chops and put each chop in a freezer bag. Then, thereís Beef Stew. I like to fill the crock pot with meat, potatoes, onions, carrots and magic dust and put it on low before I go to bed. When I wake up, I have a monthís worth of really tasty stew.

Yesterday, I made spaghetti sauce with sausages. I had spaghetti for dinner and there are four portions of sauce and sausages in the freezer. Last night, around 10:00 PM, I started making pulled chicken in the crock pot. That makes 8 portions for pulled chicken sandwiches. Since I bought a Family Pack, it also leaves me with a lot of boneless, skinless chicken that I portion out and freeze for roasted or broiled chicken. Iíve also done several other items when the mood strikes. Bacon wrapped pork tenderloins are really good as is Italian sausage meat pressed into patties.

Anyhow; to get back to the bad habit, I just had a pulled chicken sandwich for breakfast. After smelling it all night long, I was powerless to resist. And it tasted wonderful. Actually; I often have lunch or dinner items for breakfast. Or Brunch is more properly what it is. I usually eat two meals a day; Brunch and Dinner. The closest I come to having a Breakfast is when Iím on the road. Iíll stop at McDonaldís and get a Sausage McMuffin. And I have been known to get a Breakfast on occasion. The last time that I recall was in Blairsville, Georgia when a bunch of us went to the Hole In The Wall for that purpose. The closest I get at home is when I have a BLT; which is going to be pretty frequent for a while. I just got two pounds of Bentonís Bacon, and I also just bought a package of Wrightís bacon because it was on sale for $7.99. At $4.00 off, I figured it was too good a deal to pass up. A BLT works well as an anytime meal; Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner - it tastes great. I had a BLT made with Bentonís for dinner with seasoned, roasted potatoes Sunday night. (I had eaten the leftover spicy meatloaf from the Outback for brunch)

Other Brunch items that arenít ďNormalĒ that I enjoy include Tinaís Red Hot Beef Burritos slathered with Newmanís Own Salsa or the time I made Bacon Wrapped JalapeŮo Poppers and ate the whole lot (They were so good, I couldnít stop). Cheeseburgers are another regular item. And Kayem Natural Casing Franks on Martinís Potato Bread rolls are almost orgasmic with a cup of good coffee. And if thereís leftover pizza, it trumps everything else.

Good Blueberry pancakes with real Maple Syrup and good country sausage patties are a treat, but that almost fits in the dinner category. And I used to love the London Broil and eggs at IHOP for dinner, before they discontinued it.

Hmm; now that I think about it, I guess I just donít care whether what Iím eating is considered a breakfast or dinner food. It all depends on what Iím in the mood for.

On a day when the outside temperature is 4ļ F (-15.5 ļ C) things like this are good things to think about.
Old 29th January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

7:00 AM and 2 Degrees

2 ļ F is -16.7ļ C. Thatís freakiní cold to be out on a motorcycle. However; I plan to take the Cussedíem to the supermarket in a couple of hours. There are things that I need to get like Milk and Bread!!! I actually do need 1/2 & 1/2 and burger rolls, but I also need to get several other items like cheese, ketchup, Chili Beans and such. I wonít be going any farther than is absolutely necessary, however. I was hoping to buy a sh*tbox car this year, but when the Express died, my financial efforts got redirected. Oh, well. I have my priorities and being without a bike to buy a flippingí car is on the opposite side of the scale from having a bike without a car.

2ļ is quite a bit colder than the forecast was calling for. Then again; we got four times as much snow as the forecast predicted. Iím convinced that the weather people would have trouble accurately predicting a Sunrise. Yeah; I know. Itís not an exact science. I wish I could be as wrong as often and get paid as much as they do. In the jobs Iíve held, that usually means getting canned.

A bit of excitement that I had this morning was an e-mail I got from a friend. He found an engine from a 2015 1200 for short money. It had me thinking, but once I got past the initial excitement, I realized that if I got it and put it in the Express, Iíd always have the nagging fear that it was going to take a dump on me. Iíve had two bad cranks out of three engines in my rubbermounts; After I changed out the engine in the Roadster, I always had that lingering fear that the replacement engine was going to die and every time I heard an unusual sound, my ears would perk up. I never fully trusted that engine. I thought that the MoFoCo had addressed the problem and that bad cranks were a thing of the past, but then the engine in the Express died an early death. I think that the design of the Sportster engine is good, but in the quest to build a Sportster for a lower cost, the bean counters have found a cheaper and less reliable method of building crankshafts.

With all the positive reviews of Dark Horse that Iíve read, along with the personal recommendation of a friend who had his crank done by them, I think Iíll once again have an engine that I can trust. Reliability is paramount. Iíve had two engines out of 3 die (I havenít had the Cussedíem long enough to count). I want an engine that I can rely on to get me to the Arctic Ocean and beyond.

So; I just checked the temp again. Itís risen all the way to 5ļ F (- 15ļ C). By the time I shovel out the driveway and sprinkle some ice melt on it, it might rise all the way to 10!
Old 29th January 2022
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

You go John, bad ass biking for sure. We know it can be done there’s just not many that do it! I may head down to Greg’s,(Sprink), for a coffee after the game.
Old 31st January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Itís Affordable!

I just got off the phone with Andrew at Darkhorse Crankworks and discussed the engine work needed to build an anvil of an engine. Itís going to take all my savings and Iíll have to do a little bit of financial juggling for the next couple of months, but I can do it!

I told him how I ride and that Iím not looking for any extra performance, but I want super reliability and he said that thatís what Iíd have. Iím going to bring him the entire bottom end. I wonít have to split the cases. Theyíll do all the case bearings and build me a good crankshaft/rods assembly and Iím even going to go for a bronze oil pump gear upgrade.

Iím happy!
Old 31st January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 2004 XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: SOLD
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2000 X-1 lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: SOLD
Other Motorcycle Model: XB1200XT "Uly"
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
sprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond reputesprink has a reputation beyond repute

That's good news!
Old 31st January 2022
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Steve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond repute

It will be great to have an "anvil" based motor. Some bullets just gots to be bit...
'01 Cyclone stock
'13 FXDC 96" stock
Old 31st January 2022
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Good on you John, and that bronze gear upgrade is a good one with the miles we put on!