The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMģ > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23,003
Views: 2,343,441
0 Reassemble engine
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 24
0 Repainted my bike
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,244
0 add oil and ride
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 304
0 The SPORTSTER car?
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 173
0 WTD: XL1200S SE Ignition module
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 364
0 primary register screw
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 102
0 Late XLCH front end - any good?
Replies: 5
Views: 126
0 what brand of spark plug do you use?
Replies: 337
Views: 85,373
0 Most common rattle locations?
Views: 101
0 Halloween 1250 Conversion
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 7
Views: 126
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 18,313
Views: 1,087,929
0 Strengthening 73 rear shock structure
Last Post: mikethebike61
Replies: 10
Views: 278
0 One More Ohio Meet & Eat?
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 24
Views: 1,130
0 Adjustable Levers / Mueller Power CLutch
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 64
0 Thread pitch for 91 front engine mount bolts.
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 6
Views: 107
0 KT - 2020 - Where Eagles Dare
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 66
Views: 15,453
0 extra hole in neck web
Last Post: Gold Member
Views: 239
0 91 883 sporty died while riding, will not crank.
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 20
Views: 531
0 Do you Run a Fuel Filter?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 5,801
0 Who is the top hd engine builder in southh fkorida?
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 54
0 Expert brothers help! Moto iron springer install on bone stock 2001xl
Last Post: FiftySixer
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 60
0 New EU rules?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 14
Views: 556
0 Points Assembly - Circuit Breaker Cam and Alignment Pins
Replies: 9
Views: 366
0 '66 XLCH Running Pig Rich
Replies: 40
Views: 2,089
0 Oil leak
Replies: 38
Views: 1,897
0 'Sportster poster
Last Post: decman
Views: 189
0 XLFORUM quit smoking thread
Last Post: loki03xlh
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 642
Views: 119,279
0 stumble
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 16
Views: 502
0 Midget Harley?
Last Post: duffy
Replies: 2
Views: 145
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (76), SDREDD (59), pig (57), BonRu (55), cbass (47), ssm7530 (45), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (37)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 CX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 1200 R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Guilty; Your Honor

I feel like Lou Costello this morning, ďIím a ba-a-a-ad boy!Ē I did something I said I wasnít going to do. Let me explain.

I spent a good part of yesterday looking at alternative speedometers. The stock Speedometer on the 16 is almost unreadable during the daylight hours. The sun has to be in the right part of the sky for me to be able to read how fast Iím going. I spent most of my trip to and from Buelltoberfest swearing at it and I posted about it on the XL Forum the other day and got suggestions about getting the accessory Speedo/Tach from the MoFoCo. If the accessory had a black bezel, that would have been the end of my search. but it only comes with a chrome bezel, so I started looking online for other Speedos and found one from Koso that will do everything I want and it has a black bezel. The piece from H-D looks a little nicer, but it has that chrome bezel. Both are Plug-n-Play and both are roughly the same price range (a bit over $250.00). So I put that on the list of things I want to get.

Iím now at the stage where most of the changes after the paint will be Plug-n-Play. But they wonít be cheap. I looked at everything and decided Iíd make the changes in an orderly, logical fashion.

Paul has two Vintage Wide seats for his bikes, and he offered to loan me one until I can afford to buy my own. I turned down the offer because I have the Chinese knock off seat and Iím not going to be taking any long rides for a while, but that spurred me into looking at Mustang seats again. They have them back in stock now, but the price has gone up to $299.99 (Why donít they even the number out? the freakiní seat is 300 Bucks!) plus tax and shipping. Tax alone is 21Bucks.

However, I did the search a little different when I was looking and I found a place that was selling my seat for $270 (269.99) and no tax and free shipping. Thatís $50.00 cheaper. In a moment of weakness and desire, I bought it. It was too easy; just click the PayPal button. As I was doing it, I knew I shouldnít, but I went ahead and bought it anyhow. Now my credit card balance is up another $270. Iím starting to believe that Iím never going to let myself get it paid off.

No. I can and will get it paid down. I just let my desire to get the Gentlemanís Express finished override my better judgement. Iíll be free of the furnace payments soon and Iíll apply that money to the card balance. That will be a tremendous help.

In about a week and a half, Iím going to hand off my parts to Joe and heís going to do the paint. Everythingís all coming together. Iím anxious and excited; the Gentlemanís Express is about to become a reality!
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Baaaaaaaaaaad, John, as punishment you must immediately go to the "hottie" thread and starting at post "1" critique each post until you catch back up to current! Shame, shame, shame, no get to it! And let that be a lesson to you!
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

H-D = Hundred Dollars?

The jury is out for a couple of items.

The first is the Mustang Vintage Wide seat that I ordered last week. It turns out that Mustangís website lied. The seat is not in stock and the pleasant woman I talked to at Mustang said that even though theyíre telling folks 6 to 8 weeks, itíll probably be longer. That leaves me up in the air as to whether I should just wait or if I should cancel the order. I can live with the increase in my card balance, but if I cancel my order, itíll probably cost me over $50.00 more when I do order one in a few months.

I was thinking that maybe I should just cancel and use the money to buy a speedo/tach. When I looked at the pictures of Harleyís part, they show it on an Iron. The speedo mount is different; it angles the instrument up a few degrees more than the mount on a Roadster. That means that it would be more in my line of sight. Maybe I donít need an accessory Speedo after all. Maybe Iíll be able to see it better. So I went online to Ronnieís Parts Finder and priced out the parts Iíd need. When I totaled them up, it came to 99 bucks and change. I donít know if the new mount will resolve my ability to see my speed, but it should help, at least. If nothing else, it should help me see the indicator lights (Idiot Lights) better.

Thatís one thing that really annoys me when Iím on the 05. I canít see the neutral light during the day unless I stand up and lean forward so that itís in a direct line with my eyes. When the first engine in the 05 died, Guido asked me if the oil light came on. It might have, for all I know, but since I was riding down the Interstate, I couldnít tell if it was on or not. I donít usually stand up on my footpegs just to look at the Idiot Lights.

The Speedo bracket from the Iron tilts the speedo and the Idiot Lights, as well. I think Iíll swing by the local stealership and take a good look at an Iron. If it does line everything up with my eyes, itíll be worth a lot more than just the Hundred Bucks.

But I wonít get one until next month at the soonest. Like the moral at the end of the Little Rascals, ďIíll never play hooky again!Ē (Stupid spell check changed hooky to hockey. Sometimes it can be a Royal P.I.T.A.) Iíve learned my lesson. I wonít run the card up any higher than it already is. Right; and the checkís in the mail and I wonítÖ oh; never mind. Maybe I shouldnít go looking. I might do something rash that Iíll regret.

Hey! the sun just came out. Maybe I should go for a ride. If I go over to CinCity, I could just look. The little airhead at the Parts counter probably couldnít find the parts on the fiche reader if they jumped out and bit her. That alone would keep me from ordering them, let alone not wanting to increase my card balance.

It would be better than just sitting on my butt in the house. I think I will.
Old 2 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

John, just food for thought...I've always liked the slight sweepback of the drag bars as it takes pressure off my wrist,(damn arthritis). When I mount them on 4 inch risers my hands are almost the same height as stock Roadster bars. The bonus for me is my gauges also come up 4 inches. I have better visibility of lights and guages, and less time taking my eyes off the road ahead. A plus plus. Maybe try mine ,(and the seat), at the next Meet n Eat?
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

John..... How about a pair of short swept back risers?
They would tilt the unit back a fair bit.
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Dealerships and Other Rants

Yesterday, after the sun made an appearance, I took the 16 out for a ride. My plan was to ride over to CinCity Hardly-Ableson and look at an Iron and see how the speedo mount worked. Did it actually put the instrument at a better angle so that maybe I could actually see how fast I was going?

I donít enjoy going over to that shop any more. I used to get along with the guy at the parts counter pretty well when it was Cincinnati H-D, but the new owner changed the name and also hired a new staff. When I went to buy the little plastic clips that hold the switch wiring to the handlebars, I had to point them out to the little chickie on the microfiche screen, even though I had one that Iíd brought with me laying on the counter to show her.

When I go to a motorcycle shop, I want to deal with knowledgeable parts people, not cute little air headed fluffernutters. I swear that I can hear the ocean when some of them open their mouths.

The name change also annoys me. CinCity: a place for Manly Men who know how to live life, or some equally lame bullsh*t. Of course, theyíre not alone in coming up with stupid macho names. Another local dealer is Powder Keg H-D. Some of the other names that stand out in my mind are Barbed Wire H-D, Black Sheep H-D, No Cages H-D and the list goes on. Iím waiting for some enterprising entrepreneur to open Big Dickís H-D in Uranus, Missouri. I try to keep these Snippets ďGĒ rated, or at worst ďPGĒ, so I wonít expound on some of the advertising slogans that are running through my mind; but feel free to let your imagination do its thing.

Anyhow; to get back to yesterday, I lucked out. When I pulled up to CinCity, there was a guy with a new Iron parked there who was talking with a salesman. The guy had just bought the bike two weeks ago. The three of us had a pretty good conversation about Sportsters and I got to check out the speedo mount. I think itíll work just fine on the 16. It angles the front of the instrument up about 25 or 30 degrees or so. The nice part was that I didnít have to go inside.

I also got the information that Harley is only making three variations of Sportsters for 2021. The Custom and the Roadster are both being discontinued. I think there will be one 883 and two 1200s. At least, thatís what the salesman said. I wonder how many of the Softail variants are getting the ax?

When I left the dealership, I took the long way home. It was a nice day and I wanted to enjoy being out of the house. However; I encountered several morons using their Cell phones for texting. The first was a woman who sat through at least two cycles of the traffic light. The light turned red as I got close, and she had not moved. When the light turned green, I looked over and she was staring at her phone and the thumbs were doing a Irish Step Dance on it. Then, there were two cars at another light doing the same thing. I honestly donít think either of those drivers even noticed the light until I went by them.

A short while later, I got on I-74 for a few miles and I encountered the classic texter. A Car passed me going about 20 over the speed limit; then, a few miles later, I passed it and it was going about 10 under the limit. When I looked in the window as I passed, the driver was concentrating on her phone and her thumbs were doing a Moonwalk on the screen. A couple of miles later, she passed me, again doing about 20 over.

Drivers like that is why this society is moving to self driving vehicles.

So I stopped at the supermarket and bought a few items and came home.

Last night after a long and detailed debate in my mind, I ordered the parts. I guess Iím still a Ba-a-ad Boy.