The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > HARLEY PAN AMERICA FORUM > PAN AMERICA Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 Superlow XL1200T tyres.
Last Post: lucifer_mr2
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 7
0 Worst Harley rider ever.
Last Post: crazyphuzz
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 211
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,515
Views: 152,650
10 New rider - XL1200S in Aus.
Last Post: JacksBrother
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 2,019
0 Lots of issues 78
Last Post: Mrhorn12
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 148
0 New to the Harley Brand
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 179
0 What's your helmet?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 2,567
0 Yetman drag frame
Last Post: Slojoe55
Replies: 31
Views: 11,177
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 226
Views: 16,079
0 Sizing cylinders too pistons
Last Post: Yakcm2
Replies: 11
Views: 415
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 5,290
Views: 584,946
0 Shovester Sighting
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 7,251
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 41,221
Views: 6,320,441
0 1998 Sportster Ignition Problems
Last Post: james69
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 705
0 Starter circuit without relay
Last Post: ChicagoSlim
Replies: 6
Views: 107
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: kk38k
Replies: 2
Views: 1,039
0 I finally learned how to work the system!
Last Post: Ranchero50
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 250
0 Broken exhaust stud questions.
Replies: 7
Views: 245
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,582
Views: 207,817
0 What coil(s) do you run with your Dyna S ignition?
Last Post: stanroyal
Replies: 7
Views: 163
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 2,723
Views: 246,054
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,594
Views: 559,246
0 Carb
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 15
Views: 453
0 Issue until up to temp
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 17
Views: 522
0 1981 XLH turns over won’t start
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 5
Views: 64
5 Legendary Jerry Branch on Gearing quote and question...
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Replies: 0
Views: 56
0 77 idling
Last Post: fbroos73
Replies: 2
Views: 88
6 Asgardia Regional area
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 372
0 Sportsterpedia Progress
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 164
Views: 32,619
More...
Members Birthdays
View Poll Results: Should new-for-2020 975cc and 1250cc be called Sportsters
Yes 5 12.20%
No 36 87.80%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
andy_t is a splendid one to beholdandy_t is a splendid one to beholdandy_t is a splendid one to beholdandy_t is a splendid one to beholdandy_t is a splendid one to beholdandy_t is a splendid one to beholdandy_t is a splendid one to beholdandy_t is a splendid one to beholdandy_t is a splendid one to beholdandy_t is a splendid one to beholdandy_t is a splendid one to behold

Don't hate me but I feel like the Street fighter is what the sportster should have already evolved into if Harley wasn't hung up on "Authentic tradition and heritage".

Andy
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a brilliant future60Gunner has a brilliant future60Gunner has a brilliant future60Gunner has a brilliant future60Gunner has a brilliant future60Gunner has a brilliant future60Gunner has a brilliant future60Gunner has a brilliant future60Gunner has a brilliant future60Gunner has a brilliant future60Gunner has a brilliant future

They would've lost a lot of $$$ in sales. People bought the sportster for a reason. That reason is gone in whatever it is you want to call that.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: SuperLow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
maltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond repute

Its a 21st century Panhead. Its right in the name Pan American. (Will they be built in America though....?)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
speedfoos is a name known to allspeedfoos is a name known to allspeedfoos is a name known to allspeedfoos is a name known to allspeedfoos is a name known to allspeedfoos is a name known to allspeedfoos is a name known to allspeedfoos is a name known to allspeedfoos is a name known to allspeedfoos is a name known to allspeedfoos is a name known to all

LOL, lots of false teeth smackin', fat belly rubbin', and saggy pants hitching up going on in this thread.

The good news is that most people in the market for a new bike could really give a rat's arse what it's called. I'm glad to see HD doing something different, and they shouldn't call it a Sportster for the simple psychological reason that it is different and the new models mean a different direction for the MoCo.

Innovate or die. That's a life lesson right there. The MoCo is trying because people like me and generations much younger than me don't want potato-potato-potato anymore as the only option. A v-twin doesn't have to mean a low-revving pile of chrome. Every time I put a wrench to my IH, I curse it, because it's a poorly engineered pile of crap. But it was the one of the best of its time and its time is now over. Yes I know, it's significantly different than an '18 model, but not by much.

Will HD blazon the "Sportster" name on one of their new scoots? I doubt it and I certainly hope they don't. I also hope the Streetfighter is worth it, because even though I'm in my mid-40s, I still want it. The MoCo has come a long way in the last 10 years by trying to resonate with a whole new culture and crowd with the Street series, the M8 and what they did to the Dynas. It can no longer just cater to a bunch of fat old white guys as a majority because those fat old white guys are dying off. The bike market is huge. HD needs to show its customers that it has the vision and foresight to predict their wants - because no one needs a motorcycle. And potato-potato-potato isn't cutting it by itself anymore.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
A v-twin doesn't have to mean a low-revving pile of chrome. Every time I put a wrench to my IH, I curse it, because it's a poorly engineered pile of crap. But it was the one of the best of its time and its time is now over. Yes I know, it's significantly different than an '18 model, but not by much.
I don't disagree with most of what you said.

However, in this case, the current rubbermount sporty is about as different as possible without actually being different.

I am very happy the Moco is making these bikes (for others). But I'm firmly in the "don't need them" and "the current Air-Cooled powertrain is right for me" camp.

Your IH evolved into a well engineered, dependable, ball of fun. It's time need never be over unless combustion engineers are dead.
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1200 (traded in)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
jzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond reputejzink0883 has a reputation beyond repute

I had believed that EPA/Euro5 emissions regs and the 975/1250 spelled the end of the pushrod Sportster. Per conversations with multiple MoCo people at Sturgis, I’m hopeful the current XL engine will continue beyond 2019. The message I heard was that expanding into new market segments does not preclude continuing to sell to current customers.
Old 1 Week Ago

Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzink0883 View Post
I had believed that EPA/Euro5 emissions regs and the 975/1250 spelled the end of the pushrod Sportster. Per conversations with multiple MoCo people at Sturgis, I’m hopeful the current XL engine will continue beyond 2019. The message I heard was that expanding into new market segments does not preclude continuing to sell to current customers.
That's what I have been thinking. EPA isn't pushing, most Asian and South American countries aren't pushing. So what if the EU makes it impossible, there's enough market for the Sportster to soldier on without it.
Old 1 Week Ago
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR, BD Vintage, 59 XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
kmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to behold

there is nothing that the moco makes that I want anymore. I will visit the dealer a couple times a year for a walk around but mostly I want to see the trade ins that they are going to bring to the auction. air cooled and carbureted is the only thing I will own, and no newer than evo. and what is this excitement all about for some electric motorcycle they are working on. remember when they wanted to patent their sound. taking the moco public was the ruination of the company. now they have to sell their soul to the bean counters. small runs of older remakes that would get under epa or even if they were kitbikes. they could source a lot of it from am such as s&s etc and recoup some rider loyalty and maybe bring new riders in that want to learn. that will never happen. if only the moco would go bankrupt, reorganize as private company and get back to basics. the smaller bikes they are bringing out look a lot like ujms. what about all the names they have to come up with now. it uses to be xlch or xlh, fx or fl. sportster or big twin. maybe Im getting too old.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmul View Post
there is nothing that the moco makes that I want anymore.

< snip >

maybe Im getting too old.
Not maybe.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Easy Kev, I represent that! Anyhow the C.O.B.B. runners made it out as far as Butte, Montana. You should be here!
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start